	Thanks in advance.
From: kcng@pollux.usc.edu (Keung-Chi Ng)

KC
---
Keung-Chi Ng
kcng@pollux.usc.edu

acw@apple.UUCP (08/27/87)

In article <4125@oberon.USC.EDU> kcng@pollux.usc.edu () writes:
>can anyone give me some direction as to where to get them as well as whether
>they can run on MAC-II.
>	Thanks in advance.

MPW, MPW Pascal, and MacAPP(tm) (as well as many other things) are available
from:

	Apple Programmer's and Developer's Association
	290 SW 43rd Street
	Renton, WA  98055
	(203)251-6548

I believe membership in APDA (at $20.00/year) is a prerequsite to ordering
any of their products.  Write or call them for a membership application
and/or a catalog.

--
Art Willis

Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink:	Willis2
UUCP:		{sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!acw
CSNET:		acw@Apple.com

Claimer:	I am a member of APDA and have a financial interest in Apple
Computer, Inc.

fleabag@athena.mit.edu (Jeff Bellsey) (02/02/89)

could someone please help me decipher the true meaning of "MPW"? I am
new at this programming game, and I was fully prepared to go out and buy
a copy of Turbo Pascal. Why would anyone pay $400 for a pascal compiler?
It must be amazing.  What does it DO?  Who can utilize it to its full
worth?  Do I need to write tremendous programs to justify it, or just
lots of little ones?

Also, does anyone use the TML Pascal II implementation on MPW?  What is
different than the standard MPW Pascal??

Thanks in advance...
:bags
fleabag@athena.mit.edu

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (02/03/89)

In article <9048@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, fleabag@athena.mit.edu (Jeff Bellsey) writes:

> could someone please help me decipher the true meaning of "MPW"? I am

In the dark, dim, misty past, it stood for "Macintosh Programmer's
Work{shop|bench}.

> new at this programming game, and I was fully prepared to go out and buy
> a copy of Turbo Pascal. Why would anyone pay $400 for a pascal compiler?

Because there's more to the MPW stuff than just the compiler.  On the
other hand, maybe they *do* charge $400 for just the compiler...I haven't
looked in a long time.

In any case, there are tools provided under the MPW banner for supporting
the whole programming process, something like the programmer's tools
supported under U*nix systems.  Certainly a lot more than Borland gives
you with Turbo Pascal.  If you're only doing small programs, TP is
likely enough, but if it's a major project, ewspecially if more than one
person is involved, you'll want more help.

(I'm only using TP myself, for the moment, btw.)