[comp.sys.mac] GateKeeper <-> DiskFit

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (01/26/89)

GateKeeper 1.0 interacts fatally with Network DiskFit 1.41 causing DiskFit to
think files are locked (error 45) when in fact they are not.  DiskFit does
not recover gracefully from this problem and may corrupt your save set in
the process of trying to recover.  So, set GateKeeper's override switch to
on before your backup.  Or, set up exceptions for DiskFit.  It is DiskFit's
use of PBSetCatInfo that causes GateKeeper to try to intervene.

--
CSNet   : maner@research1.bgsu.edu               | (419) 372-2337
InterNet: maner@research1.bgsu.edu (129.1.1.2)   | Computer Science Dept.

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (01/31/89)

In article <3472@bgsuvax.UUCP>, maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
> GateKeeper 1.0 interacts fatally with Network DiskFit 1.41 causing DiskFit to
> think files are locked (error 45) when in fact they are not.  DiskFit does
> not recover gracefully from this problem and may corrupt your save set in
> the process of trying to recover.  So, set GateKeeper's override switch to
> on before your backup.  Or, set up exceptions for DiskFit.  It is DiskFit's
> use of PBSetCatInfo that causes GateKeeper to try to intervene.

I'm not sure if this will help, but a few weeks ago I got an upgrade notice
regarding Diskfit 1.5.  You may want to call the people out at SuperMac and
ask them if this is a problem with DiskFit 1.5.

						Jim Collymore

naiman-jeffrey@CS.YALE.EDU (Jeffrey Naiman) (02/02/89)

In article <964@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>In article <3472@bgsuvax.UUCP>, maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>> GateKeeper 1.0 interacts fatally with Network DiskFit 1.41 causing DiskFit to
>> think files are locked (error 45) when in fact they are not.  DiskFit does
>> not recover gracefully from this problem and may corrupt your save set in
>> the process of trying to recover.  So, set GateKeeper's override switch to
>> on before your backup.  Or, set up exceptions for DiskFit.  It is DiskFit's
>> use of PBSetCatInfo that causes GateKeeper to try to intervene.

I downloaded GateKeeper and cannot get it to do anything. It just sits in
my System Folder. How do you override? Did I miss the docs for GateKeeper?

- Jeff Naiman (naiman@yale.arpa)

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (02/02/89)

In article <964@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>In article <3472@bgsuvax.UUCP>, maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>> GateKeeper 1.0 interacts fatally with Network DiskFit 1.41 causing DiskFit to
>> think files are locked (error 45) when in fact they are not.  DiskFit does
>> not recover gracefully from this problem and may corrupt your save set in
>> the process of trying to recover.  So, set GateKeeper's override switch to
>> on before your backup.  Or, set up exceptions for DiskFit.  It is DiskFit's
>> use of PBSetCatInfo that causes GateKeeper to try to intervene.
>
>I'm not sure if this will help, but a few weeks ago I got an upgrade notice
>regarding Diskfit 1.5.  You may want to call the people out at SuperMac and
>ask them if this is a problem with DiskFit 1.5.

DiskFit 1.5 has a problem with GateKeeper 1.0 as well (I don't know
about the network version, though).  It's fine as long as you grant
it "File" privileges for "Other".

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua M. Alden) (02/03/89)

In article <964@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>In article <3472@bgsuvax.UUCP>, maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>> GateKeeper 1.0 interacts fatally with Network DiskFit 1.41 causing DiskFit to
>> think files are locked (error 45) when in fact they are not.  DiskFit does
>> not recover gracefully from this problem and may corrupt your save set in
>> the process of trying to recover.  So, set GateKeeper's override switch to
>> on before your backup.  Or, set up exceptions for DiskFit.  It is DiskFit's
>> use of PBSetCatInfo that causes GateKeeper to try to intervene.
>
>I'm not sure if this will help, but a few weeks ago I got an upgrade notice
>regarding Diskfit 1.5.  You may want to call the people out at SuperMac and
>ask them if this is a problem with DiskFit 1.5.

    I had this problem a few days ago.  I just made myself a DiskFit
disk without GateKeeper.  I keep the disk isolated and use it only when
I know that I'm working with something that's not infected, courtesy of
Interferon 3.0.  It's a little extra trouble to run Interferon, but not
much.
                                                      -Joshua Alden.

"And I - I have shown him ... that a man without hope ... is a man
   without fear"

             |Josh Alden:   jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|