[comp.sys.mac] How do I add Simms to a Mac Plus?

cliff@cfa250.harvard.edu (Cliff Stoll) (01/27/89)

I'm upgrading a Mac plus from 1.0 Mbytes to 2.5 Mbytes
with a pair of 1 Mbyte Simms.

What jumpers should I connect?

Anything to be aware of?

Many thanx!
Cliff Stoll      cliff@cfa200.harvard.edu

--
cliff stoll    cliff%cfa204@harvard.harvard.edu   617/495-7147

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (02/02/89)

In article <1215@cfa204.cfa250.harvard.edu>, cliff@cfa250.harvard.edu (Cliff Stoll) writes:
> I'm upgrading a Mac plus from 1.0 Mbytes to 2.5 Mbytes
> with a pair of 1 Mbyte Simms.
>
> What jumpers should I connect?

I have done this upgrade on my plus, and there are not any jumpers... what you
do have to do, is to clip a resistor.  Now... if you are going to 2.5, and wont
be going to 2 or back to 1, you clip the resistor that says"256K" (i th
I think that this one is either r8 or r9...)  Anyway, clip it out.  Then, you
have to insert your simms into one back, and that bank has to be bank #1, the
bank that is closest to the MC68000 (or the center of the motherboard).  Both
SIMMS must go into one bank, and must be of the same speed and size.

> Anything to be aware of?

Yes.. . dont touch anything on the video board, or you could get one heck of
a zap.  Also, make sure that you pull out the scsi cable and video cables from
the motherboard before removing it.  It helps to make sure it is all
disconnected before you attempt to move the motherboard.

One more thing.... Take a look at the inside of the box.  In mine (I assume
it is the same as the others...) you can see where Steve Jobs and the rest
of the team signed the mold.  Makes for interesting conversation.>
> Many thanx!
> Cliff Stoll      cliff@cfa200.harvard.edu

Keith

uunet!rob!elliston
     -or-
elliston@rob.uucp

chn@a.lanl.gov (Charles Neil) (02/02/89)

In article <324@rob.UUCP>, elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) writes:
< In article <1215@cfa204.cfa250.harvard.edu>, cliff@cfa250.harvard.edu (Cliff Stoll) writes:
< > I'm upgrading a Mac plus from 1.0 Mbytes to 2.5 Mbytes
< > with a pair of 1 Mbyte Simms.
< >
< > What jumpers should I connect?
<
<
< I have done this upgrade on my plus, and there are not any jumpers... what you
< do have to do, is to clip a resistor.  Now... if you are going to 2.5, and wont
< be going to 2 or back to 1, you clip the resistor that says"256K" (i th
< I think that this one is either r8 or r9...)  Anyway, clip it out.  Then, you
< have to insert your simms into one back, and that bank has to be bank #1, the
< bank that is closest to the MC68000 (or the center of the motherboard).  Both
< SIMMS must go into one bank, and must be of the same speed and size.
< >
I'm getting 4 Megs for my Mac II.  Can I use the 1 Meg worth of 256K
SIMMs that are now in the II for the Plus?  Does anyone make a kit to
do this?
--

Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (02/04/89)

In article <821@a.lanl.gov>, chn@a.lanl.gov (Charles Neil) writes:
> I'm getting 4 Megs for my Mac II.  Can I use the 1 Meg worth of 256K
> SIMMs that are now in the II for the Plus?  Does anyone make a kit to
> do this?
> --
I had a note in my mbox that was from someone who has the adapters....
but I flushed it...

Anyone got a lead on them?? (I know DOVE provides them with their 2MB
upgrade.)

Keith