[comp.sys.mac] Dimmer?

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (01/30/89)

Does the "Dimmer" CDEV/INIT still exist for the Mac II?  It was
working on my machine until today.  Has it become a commercial
product?  If so, then where is it available?

If not, is there a newer version of it somewhere?

For those that don't know about dimmer, it is a CDEV that changes the
Mac II's color lookup table to harmlessly dim the screen.  It was
released in 1987.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/01/89)

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu(Don Gillies) writes in comp.sys.mac

>Does the "Dimmer" CDEV/INIT still exist for the Mac II?  It was
>working on my machine until today.  Has it become a commercial
>product?  If so, then where is it available?

	Dimmer is now part of the 'Screen Gems' package sold by MicroSeeds (whose
address I do not have available, but I am sure that you can find it..). Also
part of the SG package is ColorDesk, Switch-A-Roo, Globe and TN-3. Very nice
set of utils if you are using a color Macintosh.

+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (02/01/89)

In article <76000342@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

    | Does the "Dimmer" CDEV/INIT still exist for the Mac II?  It was
    | working on my machine until today.  Has it become a commercial
    | product?  If so, then where is it available?

Dimmer is now available as part of the Screen Gems package from
Microseeds Publishing (don't have thier number at hand, but if you
send some e-mail I'll dig it out for you).

The newer version has a revised interface and is a lot more stable
that the early version.  The dimming action is also a lot smoother.
Dimmer alone was enough to convince me to get the Screen Gems
package, which includes ColorDesk (by Paul Mercer) and some other
goodies for the Mac II.

    | Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

zebolskyd@byuvax.bitnet (02/02/89)

Don, take a peek at Screen Gems, a collection of Mac II doodads which is
being sold by Microseeds Publishing. See the latest MacWorld or MacUser,
they have an ad in one or the other. Dimmer is included in Screen gems,
I believe.

-Lyle

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/04/89)

WWell, I suppose I'm too cheap to pay for anthing that can be done for
free.  Dimmer is very nice, I'm now using

		"Dimmer 1.3"

A public-domain screen dimmer, that erases the entire screen.  It works
fine, except with annoying programs like RR9.4, which plot data on the
screen every second.