[comp.sys.mac] Mac Mah-Jong

delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John R. Delaney) (01/18/89)

My wife has seem an impressive Mah-Jong(?) gave that runs
on IBM PCs and compatibles. Is there an equivalent program
for the Mac and who make/distributes it?

John

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger Long) (01/19/89)

In article <1218@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John R. Delaney) writes:
>My wife has seem an impressive Mah-Jong(?) gave that runs
>on IBM PCs and compatibles. Is there an equivalent program
>for the Mac and who make/distributes it?

I have "Shanghai" which runs on my Mac+ (and sort of runs on my Mac II).
I hadn't tried it on the II until the other night when I was working on
the Plus and my wife wanted to play a game and we dug that out.  I would
be interested to see if Activision has updated it to run on a II in
color (and took out the #%%^$ copy-protect!).
--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug

ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) (01/22/89)

From article <18761@dhw68k.cts.com>, by bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger Long):
> I have "Shanghai" which runs on my Mac+ (and sort of runs on my Mac II).
> I hadn't tried it on the II until the other night when I was working on
> the Plus and my wife wanted to play a game and we dug that out.  I would
> be interested to see if Activision has updated it to run on a II in
> color (and took out the #%%^$ copy-protect!).

I updated my "GunShy" program to run on the Mac II in color; it never was
copy-protected.  When I uploaded it to GENie several people sent me sets of
color icons to use with it, including a lovely full-color set with traditional
mah-jongg tiles on it.  Another set (my favorite) was done by some folks
at National Semiconductor.

GunShy continues to run quite nicely on ALL macs (even the 128).  In my
less than humble opinion it has much nicer "pace" than Shanghai.  Also, you
can customize it in a number of ways (replace icons, and the background,
with ResEdit, for example).

I'll post these to comp.binaries.mac if there's interest.  With color icons,
the program may be 100K uncompacted (without, it's more like 50K).

=Ned Horvath=

melby@s.cs.uiuc.edu (01/27/89)

There is also a game called "GunShy" which is a Shanghai lookalike that uses
Mac icons instead of tiles (you can probably download it from a BBS in your
area).

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (01/30/89)

A mahjongg for Suns was posted to comp.sources.unix some time back. I've
been working on porting it to the mac on the back burner. This is really
mahjongg, not an imitation like Shangai or Gun-Shy.

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (01/30/89)

In article <2535@pegasus.ATT.COM> ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:

>I updated my "GunShy" program to run on the Mac II in color; it never was
>copy-protected.  When I uploaded it to GENie several people sent me sets of
>color icons to use with it, including a lovely full-color set with traditional
>mah-jongg tiles on it.  Another set (my favorite) was done by some folks
>at National Semiconductor.
>
>I'll post these to comp.binaries.mac if there's interest.  With color icons,
>the program may be 100K uncompacted (without, it's more like 50K).

 Yes! Please post the icon sets, especially the traditional one!

 By the way, something about GunShy that's always made me curious is the
fact that it beeps anywhere from 0-5 times when "New Game" is selected.
This doesn't always happen, and I can only assume it's some sort of debugging
code, as no mention of it was made in the online help.(?)  Also, I often
wish there was a menu item to turn game sounds off, especially as the end
approaches (with its ear-piercing cavalry charge at full volume). These are
fairly minor points, though... GunShy is tremendous!

--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu

JWH109@PSUVM.BITNET (Jack Hsu) (02/04/89)

Ned,

   Can you please e-mail the binhex code for GunShy.  I have seen Shanghai
posted on ftp sites but they are all demos and they restrict the program to
one set of tiles.  I would very much like to have a mah-jong like program in my
collection.  My address is JWH109@PSUVM.BITNET.

Thanks.

Jack Hsu