[comp.sys.mac] Security System for Macs?

EILEEN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Eileen E. Jones) (02/01/89)

Has anyone heard of a security system for a Mac which would prevent
all but authorized users from using a Mac, even though unauthorized users
also have *physical* access to the Mac?  I assume such a system would
have to be in the form of a key lock (a la the IBM PC/AT systems) or
something similar.

Many thanks in advance.

Eileen Emmi Jones

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (02/02/89)

In article <7028@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EILEEN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>Has anyone heard of a security system for a Mac which would prevent
>all but authorized users from using a Mac, even though unauthorized users
>also have *physical* access to the Mac?  I assume such a system would
>have to be in the form of a key lock (a la the IBM PC/AT systems) or
>something similar.

A software product that might help is NightWatch from Kent Marsh Ltd.
It 'locks' a disk by encoding a signature on it. To access the disk,
you have to be a registered user and provide a password (you also need
a 'key' disk). I read a good review of it before I bought it, but it
was a while ago (MacGuide might have a review and/or rating).

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (02/02/89)

In article <7028@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EILEEN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>Has anyone heard of a security system for a Mac which would prevent
>all but authorized users from using a Mac, even though unauthorized users
>also have *physical* access to the Mac?  I assume such a system would

The SilverLining software that comes with Cirrus drives from LaCie
will allow you to create different partitions and put passwords on any
you choose.

This will not prevent someone from using your Mac as a floppy based
machine, but it should keep them off your disk.

Notes:	=I don't know whether the system partition can be password
	 protected (never tried that) but I suspect it can.  Guess I
	 should check.
	=I don't know how secure it is.  I have 2 partitions in a row
	 with differing passwords, if I give the correct password for
	 the first one and then ask for the second one without having closed
	 the controlling DA, I get the second one mounted, no
	 questions asked.
	=SilverLining is available separately, you don't have to buy
	 their disk.
	=My only relation to LaCie is as a sastified customer.

(Guess I really should post a short review about this 70 that I got in
December.)

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (02/05/89)

In article <314@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>Notes:	=I don't know whether the system partition can be password
>	 protected (never tried that) but I suspect it can.  Guess I
>	 should check.

It can. If the entered password for a startup disk is wrong, the
System will reboot.

>	=I don't know how secure it is.  I have 2 partitions in a row

The passwords are not written in plain on the disk, and therefore you
cannot find them with a disk utility such as MacTools, FEdit, MacSnoop,
etc. However, there is another trick to get them back, but as it
requires some knowledge of the macintosh internals, only "Real Men" will
find it out. In a business environment, the password protection is
sufficiently secure to prevent unwanted access (and deletion) of your
files. In an university... I don't know.

-- Danny Schwendener
   ETH Macintosh Support