[comp.sys.mac] Macrecorder/Impulse Digitizer

bergman@odin.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) (02/04/89)

Has anyone used both the software that comes with MacRecorder and
Impulse Soundwave?  I have read reviews of Soundwave, which sounds
wonderful, but know nothing about MacRecorder's software (not even its
name).

I am also wondering about conversion programs.  Someone else has
already asked about programs to convert to SoundWave format.  How
about the other way around?

Is there any difference in the hardware?  I have been told "no" but
only be relatively uninformed sources.

--mike bergman@m2c.org (IN)

--mike bergman

bergman@m2c.org

kiron@db4.CS.Concordia.CA (Kiron Bondale) (02/04/89)

In article <4347@m2c.M2C.ORG> bergman@odin.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) writes:

>Is there any difference in the hardware?  I have been told "no" but
>only be relatively uninformed sources.

I do not believe so...I have MacRecorder and can run the software that comes with the Impulse Digitizer on mine as well... probably same chip...

Kiron

Kiron D. Bondale         Concordia University, Mtl, Quebec, Canada
"Never mourn Black Omne"-|_|-Habitat:kiron@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (02/04/89)

In article <4347@m2c.M2C.ORG> bergman@odin.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) writes:
>Has anyone used both the software that comes with MacRecorder and
>Impulse Soundwave?  I have read reviews of Soundwave, which sounds
>wonderful, but know nothing about MacRecorder's software (not even its
>name).

They're both good. Some things are easier to do with SoundWave. I don't
think you can add your own routines to SoundEdit. Theoretically you
can do anything with SoundWave, if you know how to program the mac.

>I am also wondering about conversion programs.  Someone else has
>already asked about programs to convert to SoundWave format.  How
>about the other way around?

SoundWave files are compatible with SoundEdit. SoundEdit unpacked mono
files are compatible with SoundWave. Is this what you asked?

>Is there any difference in the hardware?  I have been told "no" but
>only be relatively uninformed sources.

SoundWave can use both digitizers, but SoundEdit only supports MacRecorder.
I guess there are some differences.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

drew@cat45.CS.WISC.EDU (Shawn Drew) (02/04/89)

In article <4347@m2c.M2C.ORG> bergman@odin.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) writes:

>Has anyone used both the software that comes with MacRecorder and
>Impulse Soundwave?  I have read reviews of Soundwave, which sounds
>wonderful, but know nothing about MacRecorder's software (not even its
>name).

The software that comes with MacRecorder is called SoundEdit and is every
bit as good as Soundwave, only better.

>I am also wondering about conversion programs.  Someone else has
>already asked about programs to convert to SoundWave format.  How
>about the other way around?

Using SoundEdit you can save as a snd resource (even install one in a file),
as a "standard" SoundWave file, or as an instrument.  I don't know of any
other sound formats.

>Is there any difference in the hardware?  I have been told "no" but
>only be relatively uninformed sources.

Sorry, don't know this one.  It LOOKS different anyway :^)

****** The opinions expressed in this article are my own ******
**********    Who else would want to claim them?    ***********
   drew@cat18.cs.wisc.edu      shawn@h8001.cae.wisc.edu

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/06/89)

In article <7141@spool.cs.wisc.edu> drew@cat45.CS.WISC.EDU (Shawn Drew) writes:

>The software that comes with MacRecorder is called SoundEdit and is every
>bit as good as Soundwave, only better.

	I just got my update to version 1.1, and the software is very good,
but the MacRecorder system does NOT work on my Mac Plus with a Radius
Accelerator. (Odd, since it works quite nicely on a Mac II.) Farallon
says it has something to do with timing loops, which mystifies me,
since both the Mac II and the Radius board use 68020s at the same
clock speed. Perhaps the Radius data cache...

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.