[comp.sys.mac] 1 MB SIMM for $199 ??

czychi@ethz.UUCP (Gary Czychi) (01/27/89)

Hi,

I just heard that there was a company at the Macworld Expo who sold their 1
MB SIMMs for $ 199 !!!

I can hardly believe that, so I am asking those who have attended the expo
wether they can confirm/deny this incredible price.
What is the name/address of this company?

Thank you very much,

	Gary

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (01/31/89)

Its true

MacProductsUSA (1-800-mac-disk) had a booth advertizing SIMMs fpr $199.
they said that they made the SIMMS themselves, using 120ns DIPs.

The nromal price in Macworld was about $254.

They were also offering a 60meg external SCSI for $699.

TeriAnn

ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) (02/01/89)

From article <430072@hpcea.CE.HP.COM>, by twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman):
> Its true
>
> MacProductsUSA (1-800-mac-disk) had a booth advertizing SIMMs fpr $199.
> they said that they made the SIMMS themselves, using 120ns DIPs.

They also have an ad in this week's MacWEEK at the same price.  Strike while
the iron's hot, you grafix phreeks...

Just use the Mac ][ to speed compilation, m'self...

Also, note that these are DIP (not surface mount) SIMMs.  If you have or plan
to have an expansion board in your SE, these will have too high a profile.

=Ned=

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (02/03/89)

At the Macworld booth they told me that the DIP (duel inline package) SIMMs
would almost certainly interfere with add in boards in the Mac+, but shouldn't
get in the way of SE boards, as they had more space.
I just called MacProducts USA this morning to find out where my RAM & hard
disk is. They mentioned that hard drives are currently runing 3 weeks behind
receiving the order. They also came back from MacWorld with orders for
over 1000 SIMs in addition to selling out the stock they took to MacWorld.

Their elves are busiy assembling SIMMs and they are still working on clearing
their Macworld backorders.

The next best price I saw at MacWorld was $254. I wonder if those few booths
advertizing SIMMs for around $300 sold any??

TeriAnn

I think the saying shoould be modified to:

"One can never be too rich, too thin or have too much RAM"

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/03/89)

>Its true
>
>MacProductsUSA (1-800-mac-disk) had a booth advertizing SIMMs fpr $199.
>they said that they made the SIMMS themselves, using 120ns DIPs.
>
>The nromal price in Macworld was about $254.
>
>TeriAnn

I'm a bit confused... I'm thinking of upgrading my memory to 2.5 M, and
 I was looking at Dove's MacSnap 2SE -- currently at $439 through
 MacConnection, et al.  Why are 1 M SIMMs at $199 a good deal?  Seems
 to me, for $40 more, I can get the Dove kit along with some sort
 of warranty and an indication of quality.  Since apparently having
 just one 1 M SIMM is useless (they have to be in pairs, or so I've
 heard), how could a price of $254 per SIMM sell at all, when Dove is
 at roughly 220?

Has anybody upgraded an SE (or Plus) from 1 M to 2.5 M, using Dove?
 Using anything else?  Can you do it yourself, if you buy the raw
 SIMMs?  Has anybody done this with any success?

- Mark Thompson                       "The University Neither Knows Nor
  living on a borrowed dime            Cares What I Am Saying."
  University of Illinois at U-C

  ARPANET: thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
  USMAILNET: 202 E Springfield #3B, Champaign IL 61820

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (02/07/89)

In article <430073@hpcea.CE.HP.COM>, twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
> At the Macworld booth they told me that the DIP (duel inline package) SIMMs
> would almost certainly interfere with add in boards in the Mac+, but shouldn't
> get in the way of SE boards, as they had more space.
> I just called MacProducts USA this morning to find out where my RAM & hard
> disk is. They mentioned that hard drives are currently runing 3 weeks behind
> receiving the order. They also came back from MacWorld with orders for
> over 1000 SIMs in addition to selling out the stock they took to MacWorld.
>
> Their elves are busiy assembling SIMMs and they are still working on clearing
> their Macworld backorders.
>
> The next best price I saw at MacWorld was $254. I wonder if those few booths
> advertizing SIMMs for around $300 sold any??

I recently purchase 2 1MB low profile 100ns SIMMS from MacLand for $499.  I
Know that others have found prices lower, but they had them here the next day,
and provided good support when i went to install them (but they didnt include
any directions or etc... I had to call them.  But when i did, they had a
technical guy on the line in 30 seconds, and he talked me through the upgrade.
Oh... that was on an 800 line, so it cost me $0.00)

Keith

# I have no relationship with MacLand, except as a satified customer (I bought
my CMS 60 from them as well).