[comp.sys.mac] Downloading GIF files

gtww2z9z@umiami.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (02/06/89)

What is the correct method for ftp'ing GIF files?  I heard that there was a
GIF archive at hubcap.clemson.edu.  So, I have Vision Lab and I thought I would
add to my collection.  Unfortunately, Vision lab always comes back with an error
reading "Bad LZW block. Bad GIF File."  Now, I have tried using both ASCII and
binary mode, and downloading using kermit by both text and image transfer and
nothing seems to please Vision Lab.  Can someone help?!

Thanks oodles.

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
If you can read this, | "Some things never change...", but addresses do!

akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) (02/06/89)

In article <486@umiami.miami.edu> gtww2z9z@umiami.miami.edu (Jason Gross) writes:
>What is the correct method for ftp'ing GIF files?  I heard that there was a
>GIF archive at hubcap.clemson.edu.  So, I have Vision Lab and I thought I would
>add to my collection.  Unfortunately, Vision lab always comes back with an error
>reading "Bad LZW block. Bad GIF File."

IMHO, some of the GIF files at hubcap are corrupted.  I have retrieved several
of them and some are OK.  GIF files are binary so you have to use binary mode
for FTP.  Perhaps someone at hubcap is reading this and would relay it to the
persons in charge of hubcap?

--
Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) (02/07/89)

In article <794@ur-cc.UUCP>, akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) writes:
> In article <486@umiami.miami.edu> gtww2z9z@umiami.miami.edu (Jason Gross) writes:
> >What is the correct method for ftp'ing GIF files?  I heard that there was a
> >GIF archive at hubcap.clemson.edu.  So, I have Vision Lab and I thought I would
> >add to my collection.  Unfortunately, Vision lab always comes back with an error
> >reading "Bad LZW block. Bad GIF File."
>

> IMHO, some of the GIF files at hubcap are corrupted.  I have retrieved several
> of them and some are OK.  GIF files are binary so you have to use binary mode
> for FTP.  Perhaps someone at hubcap is reading this and would relay it to the
> persons in charge of hubcap?
>
> --
> Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

Sorry that some of you are having problems with my GIF archive.  As
stated above, the files are stored in binary for use by any micro with a
GIF reader.  I try to test every GIF file I put out there but.....  I
use MacKermit to upload the files (Red Ryder wants to put file type and
creator in the binary form --- IBM/PCs hate that).  The one problem with
Kermit is I sometimes forget to set the file type to binary (I hate when
that happens).  If you use the GIF archive on Hubcap (hubcap.clemson.edu
-- the GIF files are in pub/gif) and do find a bad file, please let me
know and I will fix it and put the file back out there for you.  I try
to be as cooperative as I can (sometimes you may have to send a couple
of messages, things get busy around here...).

If you have never used Hubcap's GIF archive before:  I have
approximately 200 GIF files (7Mb) open to FTP.  These files are
seperated by color (or grayshade) ranging from 256 to 2 with the
majority being 256 or 16.  If you have a new GIF file you would like to
share with the world, send it to me by e-mail or by US mail (I prefer
Mac software in BinHex format but I can convert from IBM format if I
must -- I'll go to almost any lengths for a good GIF file).

Types of files are limited to G ratings.  The SysOP, my boss, the
Director, the Vice-Provost, the President, George Bush and the world
would come down on me like an A-bomb if I put anything but G files out
there and I like my job.

Thanks for the time and sorry if any of you have had problems,
(PS - New files are put into a temp subdirectory in the GIF archive
before being sorted by color.  You can check there for new files too.)

Mike McCann                        Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann
Clemson University                   Bitnet = mmccann@clemson.bitnet
Clemson, S.C. 29634-2803         DISCLAIMER = I speak only for myself.