[comp.sys.mac] Backup application for startup AND shutdown

agraber@ethz.UUCP (A. Graber) (02/02/89)

Hello,

I am working on two Mac's and have the Problem of data concistence. I use
a Floppy to carry the data from one Mac to the other. Sometimes when I
am in a hurry, I forget to update the files on the harddisk.

Does somebody know a startup and shutdown programm which allow me to define
a set of files or folder and does :
- at startup : asks for the floppy, compares the date of the files on the
	       floppy and the harddisk, and copies the newer versions from
	       the floppy to the harddisk.
- at shutdown :asks for the floppy again, and updates all changed files on
	       the floppies.

What I am looking for is a extendet backup application (incrementel) which
runs at startup and shutdown automatically.

If you know about such a programm pleas e-mail me where I can get it
(Adress, FAX nr of the company, price)

Andre Graber
Inst.for.Operations Research
ETH
8092 Zuerich
Tel ++41 1 256 40 21
FAX ++41 1 69 39 73
e-mail : ...mcvax!cernvax!ethz!agraber

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (02/07/89)

In article <768@ethz.UUCP> agraber@ethz.UUCP (A. Graber) writes:
>I am working on two Mac's and have the Problem of data concistence. I use
>[stuff deleted]
>- at startup : asks for the floppy, compares the date of the files on the
>	       floppy and the harddisk, and copies the newer versions from
>	       the floppy to the harddisk.
>- at shutdown :asks for the floppy again, and updates all changed files on
>	       the floppies.
>[stuff deleted]
>If you know about such a programm pleas e-mail me where I can get it

If ANYBODY out there knows of something that does this, could you let me
know too ?  I have a Mac at home, and one at work, and must have things
like scrapbooks, notepads, and calendars on BOTH machines (i.e., I need
to be able to add to my calendar whether I'm home or at work), and
every once in a while I'll forget to copy my calendar/notepad/scrapbook
from my hard drive before I leave work.  I go home, update my calendar
on the Mac at home.....  Now I either have to lose any events I entered
into my calendar at work the previous day, or forget what I entered at
home the previous night.  The suggested "solution" above would work
GREAT for me, so if you know of anything even REMOTELY like it, drop
me a line (E-Mail, of course, no need to force everyone else to hit 'n').

>Andre Graber
>Inst.for.Operations Research
>ETH
>8092 Zuerich