[comp.sys.mac] Powering up/down a Mac II

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (02/06/89)

In article <172@xenon.UUCP>, simpson@xenon.UUCP (Charles Simpson) says:

>Secondly, has anyone experienced the problem of the "power up" button on
>the MacII keyboard, not working?  For some strange reason, last night, I pushed
>the power up button several times, but nothing happened.  I disconnected the
>keyboard, reconnected it and everything seems to be fine.  Although, I lost
>the configuration of the control panel setup.

>charles simpson
>email:  uunet!ingr!b11!xenon!simpson

I personally have not had this problem, but I do have a (problem, gripe) that
I'd like to air, since the people at Apple read this....

It would be REALLY NICE to have a hard power button on the Mac II.  I have
occasionally crashed the Mac II I work on so hard it had to be _unplugged_;
the power switch simply didn't register.  I can understand that the machine
shouldn't be powered down suddenly, due to hard disk problems etc., but having
to go to the wall and pull a (possibly live) plug just to reset the machine
seems a bit drastic.

Anybody at Apple know of any plans to remodel the Mac II?  I must admit I don't
know how the IIx's are hooked up....

-------
Christopher Tate                   | (i do not know what is it about you
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               | that closes and opens; only something
...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105    | in me understands the voice of your
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                | eyes is deeper than all roses)

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (02/07/89)

In article <70176CXT105@PSUVM> CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) writes:
>It would be REALLY NICE to have a hard power button on the Mac II.  I have
>occasionally crashed the Mac II I work on so hard it had to be _unplugged_;
>the power switch simply didn't register.  I can understand that the machine
>shouldn't be powered down suddenly, due to hard disk problems etc., but having
>to go to the wall and pull a (possibly live) plug just to reset the machine
>seems a bit drastic.

And completely unnecessary.  This is what the reset switch is for!  You got
one with the II, and it's easy to install (goes near the back end of the
right side of the computer; fits into the ventilation slots; just look
closely, you'll see how it fits).  Hit that baby, and it'll definitely
reboot; no muss, no fuss...

>Christopher Tate                   | (i do not know what is it about you
>cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               | that closes and opens; only something

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Next time you see a lie being spread or a
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  bad decision being made out of sheer ignor-
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  ance, pause, and think of hypertext."
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |     -- K. Eric Drexler, _Engines of Creation_

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (02/07/89)

In article <49816@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> jellinghaus-robert@yale.UUCP writes:
>In article <70176CXT105@PSUVM> CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) writes:
>>It would be REALLY NICE to have a hard power button on the Mac II.
>
>And completely unnecessary.  This is what the reset switch is for!  You got

I have never crashed my Mac II bad enough so that it would not power
down with the soft power button, but several times I got it to the
point where it wouldn't reset and had to be power cycled. Thus

    Hard Power off > Soft Power off
                               (according to Christopher Tate)
    Soft Power off > Reset switch
                               (according to me)

and the original point holds. Of course, if it had more operating
system support than most toasters (:-) this whole discussion might be
academic, as it might crash less often and less hard.

				Peter Desnoyers

ps. My opinions do not represent Apple policy in any way. Especially
the toaster comment.