[comp.sys.mac] The default floppy icon

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (01/30/89)

I've changed many icons including the one's in my hard drive driver and
in my appleshare server software.  I'd like to customize the floppy icon
without using facade.  No offense to the person who wrote it, but I just
don't have spare memory for inits like this.
To get to the point-
Does anyone out there know where the icon for a floppy disk is stored
(the one shown in finder)
The ICN# resource in finder is NOT it. Also, I've tried searching for the
corresponding hex on the floppy and in my system and haven't had any luck.

-Mike Darweesh
-Carnegie Mellon University
-md32@andrew.cmu.edu

gandreas@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Glenn Andreas) (02/02/89)

In article <421@cs.wmich.edu> dodgson@cs.wmich.edu (Harry Dodgson) writes:
>In article <MXt0C0y00jWFAX0XA2@andrew.cmu.edu>, md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) writes:
>> Does anyone out there know where the icon for a floppy disk is stored
>> (the one shown in finder)
>> The ICN# resource in finder is NOT it. Also, I've tried searching for the
>> corresponding hex on the floppy and in my system and haven't had any luck.

You can add a ICN# 129 (I believe, either that or 128) to the DeskTop file of
any given disk and that icon will replace the disk icon show by the
finder for that one disk.  You can then customize each disk you own to have
its own icon.  No special Init needed, etc, and yes this trick still works
in system 6.  There is also an init that can be used to change the icon for
a hard disk as well (since the icon for it is stored in the driver code,
rather than being a default icon).

= "Whether you like it, or don't like it, sit   | - gandreas@ub.d.umn.edu - =
=  back and take a look at it, because it's the |   Glenn Andreas           =
=  best going today!  WOOOOoooo!" - Ric Flair   |                           =

dodgson@cs.wmich.edu (Harry Dodgson) (02/02/89)

In article <MXt0C0y00jWFAX0XA2@andrew.cmu.edu>, md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) writes:
> Does anyone out there know where the icon for a floppy disk is stored
> (the one shown in finder)
> The ICN# resource in finder is NOT it. Also, I've tried searching for the
> corresponding hex on the floppy and in my system and haven't had any luck.

You must have an SE or II or better.  The Floppy icon is stored
in the ROMs of these machines and as such are difficult to change.
By the way, how did you change the hard drive icon.  I have an INIT
that I use that just changes my hard drive icon, but I wouldn't
mind making a change to the driver if I knew where it was.

--
Harry Dodgson Jr.               Internet:  dodgson@cs.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University

ckl@goanna.oz (Chee Kheong Lin) (02/07/89)

From article <728@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU>, by gandreas@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Glenn Andreas):

> There is also an init that can be used to change the icon for
> a hard disk as well (since the icon for it is stored in the driver code,
> rather than being a default icon).

	I believe the INIT you are talking about is the Facade INIT.

Chee Kheong Lin