[comp.sys.mac] Help with Screen Fonts & WORD

kalinowi@topaz.rutgers.edu (Kalin) (01/25/89)

My Problem:

	I am evaluating Macs and WORD, and have come across what I
believe is a hardware limitation.  Currently I write manuals in Times
10 pt font on an HP with a PC because our manual page is small (about
5 by 8)

	In evaluating WORD, I find the 10 point Times font unbearable
to work in. (I use a Mac II and an Apple Color Monitor both leased) I
know you can use New York and have the printing substitute Times, but
this messes up the spacing between words.  I have to use 10 point
Times, it's our standard.

Solution?

	Would getting a good monitor help (about 150 DPI like
	Princeton's)?

	Is there a better, readable, Times in 10 pt (I doubt it in
	75DPI)??

	Is there another solution I'm overlooking?????

rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu (01/31/89)

If anyone has a solution, please post it.  I like to print out papers in
Times, but it's impossible to work with it on the screen.  I end up working
in geneva or new york, then changing the 'normal' style to times before I do
a page preview or print.  Switching 'normal' back and forth is the best
solution I have found, but it's hardly ideal.

David Rudolph	rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois

sobiloff@thor.stolaf.edu (Blake Sobiloff) (01/31/89)

In article <Jan.24.20.47.01.1989.18765@topaz.rutgers.edu> kalinowi@topaz.rutgers.edu (Kalin) writes:
>	In evaluating WORD, I find the 10 point Times font unbearable
>to work in. (I use a Mac II and an Apple Color Monitor both leased) I
>know you can use New York and have the printing substitute Times, but
>this messes up the spacing between words.  I have to use 10 point
>Times, it's our standard.
>
>Solution?
>	Is there another solution I'm overlooking?????

Yup.  Try working in 12 point, and when you are done select all the text and
set the font size down to 10 point.  Be careful if you do fancy formatting,
though.

<munge>
<munge>
<munge>
<munge>
<munge>

Blake "Hey, where's MY fancy signature?" Sobiloff

kalinowi@topaz.rutgers.edu (Kalin) (01/31/89)

>>	Is there another solution I'm overlooking?????

>Yup.  Try working in 12 point, and when you are done select all the text and
>set the font size down to 10 point.  Be careful if you do fancy formatting,
>though.

I want to thank everyone who replied to my first cry for help about
10pt Times font in WORD.

 (Quite a few people, thanks!)

Synopsis of Suggestions:
-----------------------
New Fonts:
	Most people suggested getting the Adobe fonts.  I will
	ftp them, and give it a try.

Type in 12 point:
	A nice idea, but it isn't acceptable.  Kind of defeats the
WYSIWYG feature.  I mean, try to tell your boss "Yeah, the Mac is
really nice, we can see what we're typing laid out correctly, as long
as we do it in a big font, and then switch just before printing"
Might as well stick in IBM monochrome ASCII.  I need the WYSIWIG for
precise formatting.

QUESTION:

	Would a nice large screen B&W monitor help?

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (02/01/89)

In article <8400069@m.cs.uiuc.edu> rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>If anyone has a solution, please post it.  I like to print out papers in
>Times, but it's impossible to work with it on the screen.  I end up working
>in geneva or new york, then changing the 'normal' style to times before I do
>a page preview or print.  Switching 'normal' back and forth is the best
>solution I have found, but it's hardly ideal.

Personally, I recommend giving up on Times for two reasons: there is NO
technical solution to the problem you describe, and Times isn't all that
readable on paper either.  Its letter spacing is very tight, perhaps
because it originated as a newspaper typeface, optimized for printing
relatively short pieces in small amounts of space, using narrow columns.

I like both Bookman and Palatino, both of which are very nice on the screen
AND on paper; another good one is New Century Schoolbook.  And if you don't
mind downloading, Adobe has the Lucida and Stone families of fonts, both of
which were designed specifically with this situation in mind.

David Casseres

planting@sun16.cs.pittsburgh.edu (Dr. Harry Plantinga) (02/02/89)

-
--I like to print out papers in
--Times, but it's impossible to work with it on the screen.  I end up working
--in geneva or new york, then changing the 'normal' style to times before I do
--a page preview or print.  Switching 'normal' back and forth is the best
--solution I have found, but it's hardly ideal.
-
-Personally, I recommend giving up on Times for two reasons: there is NO
-technical solution to the problem you describe, and Times isn't all that
-readable on paper either.

I must differ with you here:  replacing the Times provided by Apple
with the Adobe screen-font version is a solution to the problem.  The
Adobe version is *very* readable--as good as bookman, etc.  (Believe
it or not--I didn't believe it either, until I saw it.)

The Adobe version is available from info-mac.

Harry Plantinga
planting@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/09/89)

In article <Jan.30.20.49.01.1989.19700@topaz.rutgers.edu> kalinowi@topaz.rutgers.edu (Kalin) writes:

<I want to thank everyone who replied to my first cry for help about
<10pt Times font in WORD.

<QUESTION:
<
<	Would a nice large screen B&W monitor help?

Nope. On my E-Machines monitor, 12 point anything looks like 10 point.
Of course the resolution on this screen is higher than some others so
the characters get smaller. So far we've been able to use 12 point Times
on 8 1/2 by 11 pages, but now everything has to go to smaller format
pages and 10 point Times.

We have the same problem - a boss who refuses to consider anything but
Times as acceptable. Otherwise, I'd use Palatino which is quite readable
on screen and has a more modern look on paper.

One thing I'm interested in is the new E-Machines monitor that lets you
change the resolution. That should provide the ability to work in the
correct font but blow it up to a readable size.

Shirley Kehr