[comp.sys.mac] Are HFS Navigator and SFVolInit Inc

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/02/89)

peter@aucs.UUCP(Peter Steele) writes in comp.sys.mac

>I installed SFVolInit and if gives the PopUp menu with the list of drives,
>but when I select another drive, the files list does not change. I suspect
>it might be HFS Navigator as it also messes with the open dialog. The only
>thing I've done it tried booting with no inits and it works then, so it
>definitely appears to be some init I have. Since it is messy to "uninstall"
>HFS Navigator (which actually isn't an init), I've not been able to confirm
>if this is actually the reason for SFVolInit not working. Can someone else
>shed any light?

	I use/have been using both HFS Navigator and Ray Lau's SFVolINIT
concurrently for many months now (especially since I was a beta test of the
latter) and have never had any problems with the two concurrently. I would
check again to see that you are REALLY selecting one of the drives.

>Here's another question concerning SFVolInit: I would prefer the popup
>volume list to appear when I click on the DRIVE button, not on the volume
>name. Has anyone tried to patch it to do this?

	Then you want to switch to Allan Foster's SFVolMenu...

+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/03/89)

>>I installed SFVolInit and if gives the PopUp menu with the list of drives,
>>but when I select another drive, the files list does not change. I suspect
>>it might be HFS Navigator as it also messes with the open dialog. The only
>	I use/have been using both HFS Navigator and Ray Lau's SFVolINIT
>concurrently for many months now (especially since I was a beta test of the
>latter) and have never had any problems with the two concurrently. I would
>check again to see that you are REALLY selecting one of the drives.

 Actually, this problem came up a while back.  Apparently, SFVolInit
requires two PACKs from System 6.  But for the life of me I cannot remember
which ones.  Anyone?

- Mark Thompson                       "The University Neither Knows Nor
  trapped in a Hell of my own device   Cares What I Am Saying."
  University of Illinois at U-C

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/06/89)

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu(Mark Thompson) writes in comp.sys.mac

>>>[Discussion of SFVolINIT and HFSNavigator]
>
> Actually, this problem came up a while back.  Apparently, SFVolInit
>requires two PACKs from System 6.  But for the life of me I cannot remember
>which ones.  Anyone?

	Why in 'you-know-whose' name would SFVolINIT require ANY PACKs (with the
possible exception of PACK3 which is StandardFile)???  I have not looked at
Ray's code in a while but if I were doing it, all you need to is navigate
the drive list for a list of volumes and put them into a pop-up...

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (02/08/89)

In article <46100275@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu(Mark Thompson) writes in comp.sys.mac
> > Actually, this problem came up a while back.  Apparently, SFVolInit
> >requires two PACKs from System 6.  But for the life of me I cannot remember
> >which ones.  Anyone?
> 	Why in 'you-know-whose' name would SFVolINIT require ANY PACKs (with the
> possible exception of PACK3 which is StandardFile)???  I have not looked at
> Ray's code in a while but if I were doing it, all you need to is navigate
> the drive list for a list of volumes and put them into a pop-up...
> +   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+

Pack7 for NumToString() for displaying the free space count.

Other than that, SFVolInit 1.5 doesn't use any PACKs.

-Nick

+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |
+-------------------+-VGP/MathDept/Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA 19081--+
"I cannot approve thy marriage choices, son."(Samson's dad, _Samson Agonistes_)

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/08/89)

Well, I hereby partially correct myself.  It's only one PACK, and you guessed
 right, Leonard: it's PACK 3.  As evidenced by the following which I dug up:

Written by lewis@beva.bev.lbl.gov in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac:

>In article <913@helios.ee.lbl.gov> I wrote
>>Has anyone else found this: the "Enter New Folder" check-box has no effect;
>>and selecting any of the volumes in the pop-up list does NOT change volumes?
>>
>Dave Platt found the key: copy the PACK 3 resource from System Tools 6.0
>to a System Tools 5.0 (Sys 4.2/Finder 6.0) version, and SFVol INIT works.
>Note that the version on Sumex is 1.1, whereas the version with the lates
>distribution of Stuffit is 1.5

So, voila!

- Mark Thompson                       "The University Neither Knows Nor
   released on my own recognizance      Cares What I Am Saying -- Lucky
   from a Hell of my own device         Them."
  University of Illinois at U-C

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (02/09/89)

>>Dave Platt found the key: copy the PACK 3 resource from System Tools 6.0
>>to a System Tools 5.0 (Sys 4.2/Finder 6.0) version, and SFVol INIT works.
>>Note that the version on Sumex is 1.1, whereas the version with the lates
>>distribution of Stuffit is 1.5

I originally posted this question, but I don't understand this particular
message. I've unfortunately missed nearly all of the discussion that has
ensued because of my posting (a lot of the net postings never make it here).

My copy of SFVolInit, version 1.5, does not work on my Mac II running 6.0.2.
If there is a solution, I'd like to know. The comment above seems to imply
that I have to use System 4.2??????

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (02/09/89)

SFVolINIT doesn't work properly on my system either - when I check the box to
send me into a new folder, then create a new folder, I am not put into it...

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (02/09/89)

In article <695@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>SFVolINIT doesn't work properly on my system either - when I check the box to
>send me into a new folder, then create a new folder, I am not put into it...

I found that using <return> to select <Enter New Folder> works while clicking
on the button does not.

mike ching