[comp.sys.mac] MacSE/30 Questions

c3ar@daisy.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) (02/02/89)

Two questions for those of you who know about (or have
actually *seen*) the new SE/30:

(1) Is it true that the version without hard drive comes
    with only *one* FDHD Superdrive?  The pictures I've seen
    seem to have a slot for only one internal floppy drive.
    What good is a floppy based system with only one drive?

(2) Will the SE/30 run all existing software that runs on,
    say, a MacPlus or a plain SE?

--Walter

Walter C3arlip 				c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu
(the "3" is silent)			c3ar%zaphod@UCHIMVS1.bitnet

newman@ut-emx.UUCP (Dave Newman) (02/02/89)

The Photo of the SE/30 I saw only had ONE floppy drive slot.
See the latest MacUser.

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K Shull) (02/02/89)

In article <1690@tank.uchicago.edu> c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) writes:
>    ...only *one* FDHD Superdrive?  The pictures I've seen
>    seem to have a slot for only one internal floppy drive.
>    What good is a floppy based system with only one drive?

It's useful for buying a 3rd party harddrive or a second floppy.
(I've been wishing for this ever since I saw the original SE)
I mean, your only choices were two floppies or a slow 20 meg drive.

>(2) Will the SE/30 run all existing software that runs on,
>    say, a MacPlus or a plain SE?

More likely, it will run everything that will work on a Mac II or IIx.
--
Robert K. Shull
sun!texsun!uokmax!rob

mce@tc.fluke.COM (Brian McElhinney) (02/04/89)

In article <1690@tank.uchicago.edu> c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) writes:
>    What good is a floppy based system with only one drive?

It's great for those of us who like fast, cheap, warrentied hard disks...
If you really want a dual floppy system, price an external 1.44 Mb Apple
floppy and then see how much more a third-party hard disk is.  And then
spend the difference (it's the American way!).

Brian McElhinney
mce@tc.fluke.com

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (02/09/89)

Article<1690@tank.uchicago.edu>c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) writes:
>Two questions for those of you who know about (or have
>actually *seen*) the new SE/30:
>(1) Is it true that the version without hard drive comes
>    with only *one* FDHD Superdrive?  The pictures I've seen
>    seem to have a slot for only one internal floppy drive.
>    What good is a floppy based system with only one drive?

There is still a port for an external floppy drive, though I think that
all configurations include a HD..

>(2) Will the SE/30 run all existing software that runs on,
>    say, a MacPlus or a plain SE?

Anything that runs on a Mac II and up will run on the SE30, as there is still
some software that is to hardware specfic floating around that willl of course
not work....

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.