[comp.sys.mac] SFVolInit

lewis@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Steve Lewis) (08/31/88)

Has anyone else found this: the "Enter New Folder" check-box has no effect;
and selecting any of the volumes in the pop-up list does NOT change volumes?
Using System 4.2/Finder 6.0 on an SE with CMS 45 internal and two floppies.
(But I like the concept -- another case of "why wasn't it done in the system
in the first case?")

[I have the version from sumex]

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (09/01/88)

In article <913@helios.ee.lbl.gov> lewis@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov (Steve Lewis) writes:
  (regarding SFVolInit)
> The "Enter New Folder" check-box has no effect;
>and selecting any of the volumes in the pop-up list does NOT change volumes?

I thought it was just me :-)

I haven't tried "Enter New Folder" yet, but the pop-up list has given me
varied results.

On my Mac II, running System 6.0, it switches quite nicely between the internal
drive and two floppies.

On my Mac II, running System 4.2, it fails to switch volumes. I am using a
Jasmine InnerDrive 140, partitioned into several virtual volumes. It fails
to switch between partitions, and won't even switch to the floppy.

Now guess which system I need it on :-|

If the author is reading this, be advised: I will pay the ShareWare fee as
soon as I can get it to work where I need it.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM

lewis@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Steve Lewis) (09/04/88)

In article <913@helios.ee.lbl.gov> I wrote
>Has anyone else found this: the "Enter New Folder" check-box has no effect;
>and selecting any of the volumes in the pop-up list does NOT change volumes?

Dave Platt found the key: copy the PACK 3 resource from System Tools 6.0
to a System Tools 5.0 (Sys 4.2/Finder 6.0) version, and SFVol INIT works.
Note that the version on Sumex is 1.1, whereas the version with the lates
distribution of Stuffit is 1.5

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (09/07/88)

Some people have complained that SFVolInit does not work properly.
According to the documentation, this is caused by a problem in
Apple's System code, which has been fixed in the latest release.
Please read the documentation before criticizing Mr. Lau!

Unfortunately, this means that the only System the INIT will
work properly with is hideously buggy--I don't use system 6.0.

I have a slightly different problem with SFVolInit.  I like it,
but it is the only one of the StuffIt Utilities I am interested
in.  However, this package comes as a bundle, and the price of
the bundle is too high for me to want to pay it just to get
the INIT.  Anybody have ideas on how to handle this situation
in the shareware world?

Ken McDonald
{ubc-vision!mcdonald@fornax.UUCP}

rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) (02/09/89)

 I'm still trying to find out whether I want SFVol INIT or not. First of
all it still doesn't work on my new system, I can select the disks in the
menu but it doesn't switch the SF dialog. Creating new folders does work,
but it doesn't move into the new folder when I ask it to.
 Secondly after starting up a big application and opening a file in it
I clicked the disk-name in the SF dialog and got a ID=28 bomb. Did the
big application throw SFVol out?

 Any help please?   Ernst.

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (02/10/89)

After all this talk of the SFVolInit, It sounds like it would be very useful.
However, nobody around here seems to have a copy AND its not on Sumex.
If somebody could mail me a copy, I would greatly appreciate it and I will
send it to Sumex to be posted there.

Thanx in advance

rob snevely

rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu

USES
	disclaimer.p

*** A SAFE COMPUTER IS A HAPPY COMPUTER ***