From folta@tove.umd.edu Tue Feb  7 14:14:29 1989
From: Wayne Folta <folta@tove.umd.edu>
To: rupp
Subject: Icon modification

You should be able to use ResEdit to do the job.  The latest (or near-latest)
version is available from Apple's A.P.D.A., or from the Mac Developer's
forum on CompuServe.  You may be able to find an older version at
sunex-aim.stanford.edu, using anonymous FTP.  Probably in the "util"
directory.  You may have gotten it with your compiler (I assume you are
a programmer).

WARNING: The following is dangerous.  USE THESE ON A COPY ONLY!!  AND
NO GUARANTEES THAT IT WILL WORK FOR YOU!

To use it, simply start ResEdit and find and open your application (the
executable, of course).  In the list of resources, you should see one
type called "ICN#".  Open (double-click) this, and you should see several
icons.  These are all the icons the program uses for its various documents
and for itself.  The Kermit I have (0.9(40)) has two, the program itself and
a settings file.  Doubleclick on the program's icon and you can
fatbits-style edit it.

The trick is getting the Finder to use the new icon.  I do this by using
using ResEdit.  After you have changed the icon, use the "close" box
to close the windows until you are at the window that shows the application's
directory.  On the way there, ResEdit will ask you "Save changes...".  Say
yes.  Now, select Kermit with a single click, then do "Get Info" from
the File menu.  Click off the "Inited" box.  Then exit ResEdit, which will
again ask about "Save changes...".  Then close the folder Kermit is in
(if it was open) and open it again.  Your icon should now be correct.
(The one complication in this is if you have another copy with the old
icon laying around...  You might want to make a backup copy to diskette
and only keep one copy on your hard disk.  This should avoid Finder getting
confused about the same program having two different icons.)

As an alternative to the last paragraph, you can get Finder to recognize
your new icon by rebuilding the desktop on your disk.  Please see Apple
documentation about this.  It will wipe out the comments in the Get Info
boxes of your files, so you may not want to do it.  On the other hand, it
speeds up copying files, so you may want to.

The whole point of the last two paragraphs is that the Finder displays
the appropriate icon based on your program's "signature".  It takes the
file's "owner program" and looks that up in the desktop file, and
gets the appropriate icon.  Simply changing the ICN# resource of your program
is not sufficient, you must get the new icon to the desktop.  You can do that
by rebuilding it, or by letting the Finder notice a file which has not
been Inited (had its info copied to the desktop).  Remember that if you
have two copies of the program, with two different sets of icons, it is
a toss-up as to which icon makes it into the desktop, and both copies
will be labelled with the same icon (until you move them to another
disk.

Sorry this is so long.  And cavaet emptor: I am not a super expert.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

-------------
From lwvanels@ATHENA.MIT.EDU Tue Feb  7 16:21:11 1989
Subject: Re: How can application icons be customized?

In article <1391@cod.NOSC.MIL> you write:

>We would really appreciate suggestions for icon editors that will allow
>us to substitute our own design for the default icon.  Supposedly,
>changing an application icon (on the DeskTop) is not a straightforward
>affair.

I've been able to edit an application's icon by using ResEdit- I
believe that it's available in the archives at sumex-aim.stanford.edu,
and should definitely be avalable from you local users group.

If you are going to copy the application to other disks after you
modify it, you don't have to make any changes in the desktop file on
that disk.  All that will happen is that the old icon will still show
up on the old disk, with the new icon on any disks you copy the
application to in the future.  The reason this happens is because the
Finder automatically updates the desktop file with the applications
icon(s) when you copy it to a new disk, but doesn't check to see if
the program's icons are changed otherwise.

To edit the program's icon, run ResEdit and edit the ICON resource of the
program- there should be icons for any document files as well as the
application itself.  Once you have saved the changes, you should be
all set.  Hope this helps!

Lucien Van Elsen
Internet:lwvanels@athena.mit.edu or lve@wheaties.ai.mit.edu
UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!lwvanels

----------------
From ames!arizona.edu!rrw%naucse.UUCP@ucsd.edu Wed Feb  8 21:33:48 1989
From: ames!arizona.edu!rrw%naucse.UUCP@ucsd.edu (Robert Wier)
Subject: icons

 Bill -
 Caught your message about designing ICONS for the Mac.  There are a bunch
 of ICON designer software packages available (I tend to use ICON HACKER
 a lot).  What IS difficult is to get them installed once you design 'em.
 For this there is a super program called BIND ICON.  Suprisingly enough,
 it hasn't seen very widespread distribution (it's shareware).  Works great,
 though.  If you can't find it some place where you can FTP it (or find it
 locally) let me know and I will STUFFIT and send it to you.

 Happy Iconing!

 -Bob Wier at Flagstaff, Arizona         Northern Arizona University
  ...arizona!naucse!rrw |  BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | *usual disclaimers*

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (02/10/89)

In article <1400@cod.NOSC.MIL> rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. Rupp) writes:
> The trick is getting the Finder to use the new icon.  I do this by using

I have had pretty good success with the most recent Finder versions if I
put the application on a scratch floppy, force the Finder to rebuild the
Desktop file on that floppy (which forces it to use the new icon), and
copying the file to my hard disk.  The Finder seems to do a better job
about updating its Desktop information when a new version of a file is
copied to a disk.

Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

Internet: lsr@Apple.com   UUCP: {nsc, sun}!apple!lsr
AppleLink: Rosenstein1