[comp.sys.mac] What to do with a 512K Mac

punch@daisy.cis.ohio-state.edu (William F. Punch) (02/01/89)

Well, the title says it all. I have a 512 mac that I have avoided
upgrading to an E in hopes that another more lucrative upgrade path
might appear and that I might get a job. So now they have the Se/030
upgrade with a motherboard swap and I grad this quarter, so the
question is, what's the best thing to do? Can you swap the 030
motherboard into and old Mac like mine? If not, am I stuck with a 512E
(with all kinds of augmentation I suppose, but why bother with the 030
coming out)?

At the moment it seems to me (supposing that I can't move this old
beast to an 030) that I upgrade to 512E and use it as a machine
to talk to my other new (I was goin to say next :-) machine. Is there
a market for selling these old guys? Thanks for the info.

 There is no such thing as a problem    *	     >>>Bill Punch<<<
 without a gift for you in its hands. 	*	punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
 You seek problems because you need	*         ...!att!osu-cis!punch
 their gifts.		R. Bach 	*  2036 Neil Ave;OSU;Columbus, OH 43210

jcocon@hubcap.UUCP (james c oconnor) (02/10/89)

From article <82568@felix.UUCP>, by kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr):
> In article <33286@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <punch@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>
> <Well, the title says it all. I have a 512 mac that I have avoided
>
> The article describes two series of boards ranging from 16MHz 68020 ($695)
> to 20 MHz 68030 ($1,195). Another series includes connectors for large
>
> I would want to know how much memory you can put on these and if my
> current fan is sufficient (I already have some upgrades). I'd also

Well, I have sold one of the 20MHz 68030 boards for the SE.  The same board goes
into any other Mac, but you solder a socket onto the old 68000.  The performance
is VERY good.  Memory - 1 or 4 Megs on the accelerator card.  Mother board
memory may be accessed as either main memory or as a ram disk.

The Novy board comes in 16 MHz which can be upgraded to 25MHz (68020).

Replacement power supplies and quiet fans are available (and recommended) for
around $120 for both.  I sell Novy and Total Systems products for a shade above
dealer prices if you are interested.

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (02/11/89)

In article <82568@felix.UUCP> there is a MacWeek quote:
>    "Owners of older Macs who want the speed and power of a 68030
>    processor ought to think twice before investing in Apple's new
>    SE/30, accordint to Total Systems."  (99 W 10th Ave., Suite 333

One advantage of getting an SE/30 upgrade (or an SE/30) is that you get
virtually the same ROMs as in a Mac II; ie, it includes Color Quickdraw.
For some people, this may be important, because it makes it easier to
attach a color monitor to the machine.

Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

Internet: lsr@Apple.com   UUCP: {nsc, sun}!apple!lsr
AppleLink: Rosenstein1