[comp.sys.mac] Problems with Red Ryder

drew@cat45.CS.WISC.EDU (Shawn Drew) (01/31/89)

I had considered buying Red Ryder, but have noticed something quite strange
going on.  If I ever hit Shift-Delete (happens quite often when typing in
anything in all caps) I will be pulled out of my account and placed back
in the CLI (command-line interpreter; allows me to telnet to my account).

I've noticed this on two completely separate accounts on two completely
separate machines on two completely different networks.

Am I just missing something obvious (happens quite often) or is this one of
those "feature not a bug" things?

		   Thanks in advance.

****** The opinions expressed in this article are my own ******
**********    Who else would want to claim them?    ***********
   drew@cat18.cs.wisc.edu      shawn@h8001.cae.wisc.edu

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (01/31/89)

In article <7118@spool.cs.wisc.edu> drew@cat45.CS.WISC.EDU (Shawn Drew) writes:
>I had considered buying Red Ryder, but have noticed something quite strange
>going on.  If I ever hit Shift-Delete (happens quite often when typing in
>anything in all caps) I will be pulled out of my account and placed back
>in the CLI (command-line interpreter; allows me to telnet to my account).
(Some lines deleted)
>Am I just missing something obvious (happens quite often) or is this one of
>those "feature not a bug" things?

Sounds to me like you are just "missing something," namely the Red Ryder
documentation.

Red Ryder 10.3 offers several options for keyboard mapping and the support of
various control characters.  Rest assured that what you are experiencing is a
result of how some of your preferences are set up within Red Ryder and is not
a "bug" in RR.

So if this is the only thing keeping you from buying Red Ryder, then go ahead
and purchase it.  Then you will find more info on this "feature" on page 18 of
the docs.     ;-)

Jim

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

In article <7118@spool.cs.wisc.edu> drew@cat45.CS.WISC.EDU (Shawn Drew) writes:
>I had considered buying Red Ryder, but have noticed something quite strange
>going on.  If I ever hit Shift-Delete (happens quite often when typing in
>anything in all caps) I will be pulled out of my account and placed back
>in the CLI (command-line interpreter; allows me to telnet to my account).

Typing Shift-Delete is how you send the BREAK signal in Red Ryder.
I'm sure this is documented in the manual (I don't remember having to
hunt for it, so I must have read it).  Apparently, your terminal
concentrator uses BREAK as the signal to return to the CLI.

I don't remember whether there's a way to disable this feature,
though.  Look in the customization menus to see.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (02/01/89)

"
"Typing Shift-Delete is how you send the BREAK signal in Red Ryder.
"I'm sure this is documented in the manual (I don't remember having to
"hunt for it, so I must have read it).  Apparently, your terminal
"concentrator uses BREAK as the signal to return to the CLI.
"
"I don't remember whether there's a way to disable this feature,
"though.  Look in the customization menus to see.
"
"Barry Margolin
"Thinking Machines Corp.

Yes, this is correct.  The Customize menu selection "Keyboard Mapping
Preferences" has an item "Modem BREAK signal keys supported", which
turns this feature on and off.  I like being able to pop back into
our switch, as I can have two sessions running on two different machines,
toggling between them as easily as between jobs in cshell.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

russ@uokmax.UUCP (Random J Nightfall) (02/01/89)

[drew@cat45.CS.WISC.EDU:]
->I had considered buying Red Ryder, but have noticed something quite strange
->going on.  If I ever hit Shift-Delete (happens quite often when typing in
->anything in all caps) I will be pulled out of my account and placed back
->in the CLI (command-line interpreter; allows me to telnet to my account).
->
I would say that ShiftDelete must send a long break (lbreak) in Red Ryder.
That will do it.

->I've noticed this on two completely separate accounts on two completely
->separate machines on two completely different networks.
->
Lbreak is pretty common.

Incidentally, consider buying Microphone II instead, IMHO.

->		   Thanks in advance.

You're quite welcome.

->
->****** The opinions expressed in this article are my own ******
->**********    Who else would want to claim them?    ***********
->   drew@cat18.cs.wisc.edu      shawn@h8001.cae.wisc.edu

--
Russ 'Random' Smith ___________________________________________________________
Univ.  of  Oklahoma |  ^                       ^  |  "Belt up, Longshot!"     |

eddings@bgsuvax.UUCP (Ken Eddings) (02/01/89)

In article <7118@spool.cs.wisc.edu> drew@cat45.CS.WISC.EDU (Shawn Drew) writes:
>I had considered buying Red Ryder, but have noticed something quite strange
>going on.  If I ever hit Shift-Delete (happens quite often when typing in
>anything in all caps) I will be pulled out of my account and placed back
>in the CLI (command-line interpreter; allows me to telnet to my account).
>
>I've noticed this on two completely separate accounts on two completely
>separate machines on two completely different networks.
>
>Am I just missing something obvious (happens quite often) or is this one of
>those "feature not a bug" things?
>
>		   Thanks in advance.
>

>****** The opinions expressed in this article are my own ******
>**********    Who else would want to claim them?    ***********
>   drew@cat18.cs.wisc.edu      shawn@h8001.cae.wisc.edu

You've discovered what is known as the modem break key--so called under
the "Keyboard Mapping Preferences..." choice under the Customize menu.

This is assuming you have version 10.3 of Red Ryder.. Older versions should
be similar.

    Ken Eddings                 CSNET: eddings@andy.bgsu.edu
    Department of Philosophy  ARPANET: eddings%andy.bgsu.edu@csnet-relay
    Bowling Green State Univ.   ALink: UG0182 attn: Ken Eddings
    Bowling Green OH 43403      GEnie: K.EDDINGS
	   "The prudent mariner never relies solely on any single aid
	    to navigation."                 -=Old Mariner's Proverb=-

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (02/02/89)

>going on.  If I ever hit Shift-Delete (happens quite often when typing in
>anything in all caps) I will be pulled out of my account and placed back

If you mean shift-backspace, that's how you generate a BREAK signal.
It's a feature.

-Ted

jcocon@hubcap.UUCP (james c oconnor) (02/02/89)

From article <2301@uokmax.UUCP>, by russ@uokmax.UUCP (Random J Nightfall):
> [drew@cat45.CS.WISC.EDU:]
> ->I had considered buying Red Ryder, but have noticed something quite strange
> ->going on.  If I ever hit Shift-Delete (happens quite often when typing in
> ->anything in all caps) I will be pulled out of my account and placed back
> ->in the CLI (command-line interpreter; allows me to telnet to my account).
> ->
> I would say that ShiftDelete must send a long break (lbreak) in Red Ryder.
> That will do it.
I DID buy Red Ryder 10.3 and have been having persistent problems in 'vi' on
4 different Unix systems.  No matter what I do (messing with the tab settings,
etc), when I edit a line that is more than a few characters long the cursor
jumps around all over the line.  Tabs make the problems worse, but even without
them, trying to edit in the last 3/4 of a line usually puts the cursor about
1/2 way along the line.  It is very hard to figure out what is going on.

Any help?  I am new on the net.
         Thanks,
           Jim O'Connor

paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Paul Meyer) (02/02/89)

In article <4284@hubcap.UUCP> jcocon@hubcap.UUCP (james c oconnor) writes:
>I DID buy Red Ryder 10.3 and have been having persistent problems in 'vi' on
>4 different Unix systems.  No matter what I do (messing with the tab settings
>etc), when I edit a line that is more than a few characters long the cursor
>jumps around all over the line.  Tabs make the problems worse, but even witho
>them, trying to edit in the last 3/4 of a line usually puts the cursor about
>1/2 way along the line.  It is very hard to figure out what is going on.

	I don't use vi, but it sounds like you have a tab problem.  I had a
similar problem with some games like rogue or hack when playing them through
RR 10.3.  It turned out that the problem was tabs.  If you don't have the
tabs set correctly (I think it is something like 9,17,25,33, etc) then the
screen gets all messed up.  Try fixing your tabs.  Good luck,

--
Paul Meyer
paul@caf.mit.edu

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (02/02/89)

I have bad problems with RR and vi, also.  The two problems are:
1) I cannot get tabs to work correctly.  If I set RR's tabs to space
   properly while inputting (that is, space 8), I get an off-by-one
   error when I move along the already-entered line using the space bar.
2) At the last character on a line, I have problems.  Sometimes, if I move
   to column 80, then backwards, it gets confused.  Other times it just
   gets screwed up on long lines.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

kwan@cad.ics.uci.edu (Andrew Kwan) (02/02/89)

In article <4284@hubcap.UUCP> jcocon@hubcap.UUCP (james c oconnor) writes:
>I DID buy Red Ryder 10.3 and have been having persistent problems in 'vi' on
>4 different Unix systems.  No matter what I do (messing with the tab settings,
>etc), when I edit a line that is more than a few characters long the cursor
>jumps around all over the line.  Tabs make the problems worse...

Whenever I log onto a Unix system, using my Mac+/Red Ryder 10.3 as a
terminal, I execute the command "stty -tabs" to make the (Unix) system
convert the tabs to spaces.  I do not use "vi", but GNU Emacs works
well.

For some reason, whenever I run Red Ryder off my hard disk, at 2400
baud, the effective terminal speed is about 1200 baud, and xmodem
downloads take about 20-25 seconds per 1 Kbyte of data.  This has
occurred with System 5 and 6 (with and without MultiFinder), and I
have tried switching out the various INITs, with no success.  So I run
Red Ryder off a floppy disk, using a bare System 6.0.2 (with no
MultiFinder) on a ram disk (Dove RAMSnap), and I get about 2400 baud
throughput and xmodem downloads at about 5 seconds per 1 Kbyte of
data.  I don't know why it works, but I guess I won't complain too
much since it does work.  If anyone knows why, I'd like to know.

Andrew Kwan

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (02/03/89)

"For some reason, whenever I run Red Ryder off my hard disk, at 2400
"baud, the effective terminal speed is about 1200 baud, and xmodem
"downloads take about 20-25 seconds per 1 Kbyte of data.  This has
"occurred with System 5 and 6 (with and without MultiFinder), and I
"have tried switching out the various INITs, with no success.  So I run
"Red Ryder off a floppy disk, using a bare System 6.0.2 (with no
"MultiFinder) on a ram disk (Dove RAMSnap), and I get about 2400 baud
"throughput and xmodem downloads at about 5 seconds per 1 Kbyte of
"data.  I don't know why it works, but I guess I won't complain too
"much since it does work.  If anyone knows why, I'd like to know.
"
"Andrew Kwan

I just ran a test of RR 10.3 and it worked well at 2400 baud (actually,
220 cps throughput to the screen).  I cannot remember if it was Navigator
or Red Ryder that had problems running full-blast on a Mac Plus.  Something
about an SE being just enough faster (only 10 or 15%) that it performed
full-speed.

I use a 2.5Mb SE, Apple's 20Mb hard disk, MultiFinder under System 6.0.2,
Suitcase, Vaccine, Pyro, and SUM.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

news@sybase.sybase.com (news) (02/04/89)

It also will do a good vt100 emulation on VMS systems.
As an earlier poster noted, set tabs at 9, 17, 25 ....
If that doesn't work please send me mail and I will send you my exact
settings.
	Carl Resnikoff
	sun!sybase!carl
	{ucbvax,unisoft}!mtxinu!sybase!carl
From: carl@webster.sybase.com (Carl Resnikoff)

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (02/04/89)

In article <15770@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:

>"For some reason, whenever I run Red Ryder off my hard disk, at 2400
>"baud, the effective terminal speed is about 1200 baud, and xmodem
>"downloads take about 20-25 seconds per 1 Kbyte of data.  This has
(Several lines deleted.)
>"Andrew Kwan

>I just ran a test of RR 10.3 and it worked well at 2400 baud (actually,
>220 cps throughput to the screen).  I cannot remember if it was Navigator
(Several lines deleted.)
>Wayne Folta  (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

Red Ryder 10.3 has a well-known problem of performing extremely poorly during
X-modem downloading.  (RR 9.4 was a reasonable performer!)  Unless one is
running an INIT-less System on a Mac Plus, there is a considerable pause
during the time that RR is doing the CRC check after receiving a packet.  This
slows down transmission efficiency remarkably.  Surprisingly, using the same
System but running RR under MultiFinder actually speeds up the download.

This problem has been discussed at length on the FreeSoft Roundtable of GEnie,
where RR "support" is provided.  The moderator of that Roundtable has
difficulty accepting the existence of this problem, but then again he is
running a Mac II.  Scott Watson, RR's programmer, is well-aware of the
download speed problem, but has seemingly ignored it while working on other
software projects.

A solution that I have found for the problem is to _not_ use RR's X-modem for
downloading.  Rather, while still in RR, invoke the BackDown DA and use it to
perform your X-modem download. You will note a _remarkable_ speed
improvement.

Jim

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (02/05/89)

I have problems using RR in vt100 mode with HP-UX.  Doing ctrl-F or ctrl-B
doesn't refresh the screen properly....

-Ted

nagel@paris.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (02/05/89)

In article <346@lakesys.UUCP>, macak@lakesys (James Macak) writes:

|Red Ryder 10.3 has a well-known problem of performing extremely poorly during
|X-modem downloading.  (RR 9.4 was a reasonable performer!)  Unless one is
|running an INIT-less System on a Mac Plus, there is a considerable pause
|during the time that RR is doing the CRC check after receiving a packet.  This
|slows down transmission efficiency remarkably.  Surprisingly, using the same
|System but running RR under MultiFinder actually speeds up the download.

Yup, I just love watching my modem sit there for 5 seconds between 1K
blocks.  Makes me so glad I've paid all that money for Red Ryder over
the years...

|This problem has been discussed at length on the FreeSoft Roundtable of GEnie,
|where RR "support" is provided.  The moderator of that Roundtable has
|difficulty accepting the existence of this problem, but then again he is
|running a Mac II.  Scott Watson, RR's programmer, is well-aware of the
|download speed problem, but has seemingly ignored it while working on other
|software projects.

...especially when hearing about things like this.  "Red Ryder is
going *commercial* now, so send in all your money and it will be
supported just like a *commercial* product."  I'm thoroughly disgusted
with Red Ryder's download performance and FreeSoft's lack of
commitment to making the product work.

|A solution that I have found for the problem is to _not_ use RR's X-modem for
|downloading.  Rather, while still in RR, invoke the BackDown DA and use it to
|perform your X-modem download. You will note a _remarkable_ speed
|improvement.

I use a different method -- stay in Red Ryder until it's time to
download.  The quit and start up ZTerm (which is good *only* for
downloading) and then just blast everything over through sz.  Works
great!  I get about 235 cps throughput versus about 120 for Red Ryder
in 1K YModem.

I wish I had the extra money to go out and buy a truly professional
communication program.  I seem to have blown it all on Red Ryder.

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Dept of Info and Comp Sci
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu              | Charisma doesn't have jelly in the
UUCP: {sdcsvax,ucbvax}!ucivax!nagel  | middle. -- Jim Ignatowski

u546025938ea@vega.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000005414;0;340;141;) (02/06/89)

DISCLAIMER: If the problem has already been reported, sorry.

I have two serial devices hooked to my Mac 512Ke: a modem, and another
RS-232-cabled interface.  The second peripheral is hooked to the printer
port.  Upon each power-up of my machine, when I run Red Ryder 9.4, I can't
access the printer port.  I have no problems with the modem port; and the only
way I've found to get the printer port to work is to use another term.
program (like the MacTerminal DA) to access the port.  Once it's initialized,
Red works fine.

If anyone has any suggestions, could you please e-mail me? (I don't read
this group on a regular basis).

Thanks very much,
Steve       smmeyer@ucdavis.edu    smmeyer@ucdavis.BITNET
                 {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!smmeyer

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (02/08/89)

>In article <346@lakesys.UUCP>, macak@lakesys (James Macak) writes:
>Red Ryder 10.3 has a well-known problem of performing extremely poorly during
>X-modem downloading.  (RR 9.4 was a reasonable performer!)  Unless one is

Check out the new release - Red Ryder 11.0 is now out, and I belive that the
xmodem problems have been fixed with it...

				Richard G. Brewer
				rbrewer@wpi.bitnet
				tron@wpi.wpi.edu

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (02/08/89)

From article <7380005@hpwrce.HP.COM>, by ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson):
> I have problems using RR in vt100 mode with HP-UX.  Doing ctrl-F or ctrl-B
> doesn't refresh the screen properly....

    Some systems recognize ctrl-L (or ctrl-l) as the refresh character.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Paul Meyer) (02/08/89)

In article <647@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>Check out the new release - Red Ryder 11.0 is now out, and I belive that the
>xmodem problems have been fixed with it...

	Red Ryder 11.0 is out?  What is the upgrade fee for 10.3 owners?
Do you know what kind of features it adds?  Where is it available?  I
payed for 9.4, upgraded to 10.0, updated to 10.3, and I haven't heard
one word from Freesoft about the upgrade.  I suppose I'll have to spend
the money to get on Genie and download the info myself.

--

nagel@blanche.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (02/08/89)

In article <647@wpi.WPI.EDU>, tron@wpi (Richard G Brewer) writes:

|Check out the new release - Red Ryder 11.0 is now out, and I belive that the
|xmodem problems have been fixed with it...

Gosh, it's nice to here about these things somewhere!  Wouldn't expect
a notification from ole Scott.  Is there an upgrade fee to this one?

aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts) (02/08/89)

In article <647@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>Check out the new release - Red Ryder 11.0 is now out [...]

In a note dated 5 February 1989 in the "11.0 Rumors" topic in the
Freesoft RoundTable on GEnie, SYSOP Norm Goodger stated that beta
testing for Red Ryder 11.0 has not yet begun.

Aron Roberts  Workstation Support Services . Tolman Microcomputer Facility
              1535 Tolman Hall . Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
              aron@garnet.Berkeley.EDU . ucbvax!garnet!aron
              ARONR@UCBCMSA.BITNET . (415) 643-6241/642-2251

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (02/08/89)

In article <647@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>>In article <346@lakesys.UUCP>, macak@lakesys (James Macak) writes:
>>Red Ryder 10.3 has a well-known problem of performing extremely poorly during
>>X-modem downloading.  (RR 9.4 was a reasonable performer!)  Unless one is

>Check out the new release - Red Ryder 11.0 is now out, and I belive that the
>xmodem problems have been fixed with it...

>				Richard G. Brewer
>				rbrewer@wpi.bitnet
>				tron@wpi.wpi.edu

Are you quite certain of this?  I was just on the Freesoft Roundtable on GEnie
last night and _no_ mention was made of the release of Red Ryder 11.0
whatsoever.  I would expect that the Roundtable would be one of the very first
places to announce such a release.

In fact, I read one message that obliquely referred to the fact the Watson was
working on RR 11.0, and its release date was uncertain.

Please recheck your sources.  The rumor page of MacWEEK (or was it InfoWorld)
recently talked about RR 11.0 and MicroPhone II v. 3.0.  However they were
speculating about features that the programs might include.  The rumors did
_not_ state that either program has been released.  In fact, I understand that
MicroPhone II 3.0 is not quite in beta testing yet.

Jim

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (02/09/89)

In article <4284@hubcap.UUCP> jcocon@hubcap.UUCP (james c oconnor) writes:
>I DID buy Red Ryder 10.3 and have been having persistent problems in 'vi' on
>4 different Unix systems.  No matter what I do (messing with the tab settings,
>etc), when I edit a line that is more than a few characters long the cursor
>jumps around all over the line.  Tabs make the problems worse, but even without
>them, trying to edit in the last 3/4 of a line usually puts the cursor about
>1/2 way along the line.  It is very hard to figure out what is going on.
>Any help?  I am new on the net.
Thanks,
Jim O'Connor

The tab settings should be set to every 8 characters, otherwise you
will probably have problems, if the problem persists, I am not sure what
it could be since I use RR with vi with no problems, the cursor never jumps
for me....

dder...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (02/10/89)

In article <647@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>>In article <346@lakesys.UUCP>, macak@lakesys (James Macak) writes:
>>Red Ryder 10.3 has a well-known problem of performing extremely poorly during
>>X-modem downloading.  (RR 9.4 was a reasonable performer!)  Unless one is
>
>Check out the new release - Red Ryder 11.0 is now out, and I belive that the
>xmodem problems have been fixed with it...
>
>				Richard G. Brewer
Richard, Red Ryder 11 IS NOT AVAILABLE to anyone except for selected beta
testers. If you are by chance running a copy of Red Ryder 11 that Scott or
I have not given to you...you have obtained it from someone illegally
and is not for general distribtion...to anyone else..

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.
Enterprise Systems Division             (I disclaim anything and everything)

In article <1807@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> paul@mit-caf.UUCP (Paul Meyer) writes:
>In article <647@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>
>	Red Ryder 11.0 is out?  What is the upgrade fee for 10.3 owners?
>Do you know what kind of features it adds?  Where is it available?  I
>
>Paul - Red Ryder 11 is NOT avaialable at this time. When it finally does
ship, I will make sure that it is well announced along with any details
of what it will take to upgrade...

--

In article <6968@paris.ics.uci.edu> nagel@blanche.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) writes:
>In article <647@wpi.WPI.EDU>, tron@wpi (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>|
>|Check out the new release - Red Ryder 11.0 is now out, and I belive that the
>|xmodem problems have been fixed with it...
>Gosh, it's nice to here about these things somewhere!  Wouldn't expect
>a notification from ole Scott.  Is there an upgrade fee to this one?
>
>Mark...Red Ryder 11 is not available at this time...as I have written in
response to other articles and probably a few more to make sure that its
perfectly clear, Red Ryder 11 will be announced here. Scott has never "mailed"
any announcements to anyone ever. The "OFFICIAL" place for All news about
Freesoft products is on GEnie in the FreeSoft Roundtable. As that is the
location where all new product announcements will be the first to go to.
And then they will be posted here and elsewhere. So if you want to keep
up to date on Freesoft Products, check into the RT from time to time and
see if anything new is up and coming...

--

In article <359@lakesys.UUCP> macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) writes:
>In article <647@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>>Check out the new release - Red Ryder 11.0 is now out, and I belive that the
>>xmodem problems have been fixed with it...
>>				Richard G. Brewer
>Are you quite certain of this?  I was just on the Freesoft Roundtable on GEnie
>last night and _no_ mention was made of the release of Red Ryder 11.0
>whatsoever.  I would expect that the Roundtable would be one of the very first
>places to announce such a release.
>In fact, I read one message that obliquely referred to the fact the Watson was
>working on RR 11.0, and its release date was uncertain.
>Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

Jim, you are quite correct, any official information about the release of
Red Ryder 11, or any other Freesoft product would indeed appear in the
Freesoft Roundtable on GEnie before it would appear any place else.

Richard's message with out confirming anything was a poor move...all it
serves to do is create problems and mis-information.

Beta testing will be beginning on a wider scale soon, I'll say that much
at this time. But a release is still a ways down the road, and I am not
even going to begin to attempt to speculate when Red Ryder 11 will be
available, so don't bother to ask that question...my only answer will be
it will ship when its ready....and not before....

--

robin@csuchico.EDU (Robin Goldstone) (02/11/89)

In article <647@wpi.WPI.EDU>, tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:

> Check out the new release - Red Ryder 11.0 is now out, and I belive that the
> xmodem problems have been fixed with it...
>
> 				Richard G. Brewer
> 				rbrewer@wpi.bitnet
> 				tron@wpi.wpi.edu

I called Freesoft today (2/10/89) to check on this.  I was told that Scott
is working on it now and they are anticipating a release date in April or
May.  There will be an upgrade available provided you have your original
RR disk.

*** Moral:  don't believe everything you read!!!  ***

Robin Goldstone,  Systems Software Specialist
California State University, Chico