[comp.sys.mac] Font Substitution

hi@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Mustafa YILMAZ) (02/03/89)

     I know that when you try to print a Bit-Mapped Font from a
LaserPrinter, it substitutes it with one of the LaserPrinter fonts.

My question is:

How does the LaserPrinter decide which LP font to substitute for any fonts ?
                                OR
How can I force a LaserPrinter to print a specific font(e.g Times) instead of
a bit-mapped font ?

Thnx

mustafa yILmaz
mustafa@ararat.Stanford.EDU

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (02/04/89)

In article <203@Portia.Stanford.EDU> hi@portia.UUCP (Mustafa YILMAZ) writes:

>     I know that when you try to print a Bit-Mapped Font from a
>LaserPrinter, it substitutes it with one of the LaserPrinter fonts.
>
>My question is:
>
>How does the LaserPrinter decide which LP font to substitute for any fonts ?
>                                OR
>How can I force a LaserPrinter to print a specific font(e.g Times) instead of
>a bit-mapped font ?

Font substitution occurs in only two cases:

	Times Roman is substituted for New York

	Helvetica is substituted for Geneva

Note that the character spacing of the original font is preserved, so as
to preserve formatting; but the appearance and readability of the printed
text suffer as a result.

Font substitution can be defeated in the Page Setup dialog.

David Casseres

garth@cs.swarthmore.edu (Garth Snyder) (02/04/89)

[ Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. ]

    In article <203@Portia.Stanford.EDU hi@portia.UUCP (Mustafa YILMAZ) writes:

    I know that when you try to print a Bit-Mapped Font from a
    LaserWriter, it substitutes it with one of the LaserWriter fonts.  My
    question is, "How does the LaserWriter decide which LW font to
    substitute for any fonts?"  How can I force a LaserPrinter to print a
    specific font (e.g. Times) instead of a bit-mapped font ?

Font substitution does not apply to all bitmap fonts, just a few
well-known pairs, for example New York -> Times and Geneva -> Helvetica.
This is done by the LW driver, btw, not the printer.  I don't understand
your second question - why not just use the Times font?

--------------------
Garth Snyder            UUCP: {bpa,liberty}!swatsun!garth
Swarthmore College     CSNET: garth@cs.swarthmore.edu
Swarthmore, PA 19081    ALSO: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
--------------------

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (02/07/89)

Am I embarrassed.  Last week I said there are two cases of font substitution,
but in fact there are three:

	Times Roman is substituted for New York

	Helvetica is substituted for Geneva

	Courier is substituted for Monaco.

David Casseres

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (02/07/89)

In article <535@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <203@Portia.Stanford.EDU> hi@portia.UUCP (Mustafa YILMAZ) writes:

(stuff deleted)

>>How does the LaserPrinter decide which LP font to substitute for any fonts ?
>
>Font substitution occurs in only two cases:
>
>	Times Roman is substituted for New York
>
>	Helvetica is substituted for Geneva
>
>Note that the character spacing of the original font is preserved, so as
>to preserve formatting; but the appearance and readability of the printed
>text suffer as a result.

Actually, I believe that Courier will be substituted for Monaco (both of
these are monospaced typefaces), as well.

In my experience, for the reason David C. mentioned above, it is best to
work with a screen font corresponding to the PostScript outline font in
your printer, even if it is not optimized for the 72-dpi screen on your
Mac.

>David Casseres

John Heckendorn

                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (02/09/89)

Also, if you are working with one of the screen fonts designed to simulate a
laser font (such as Palatino), the laser printer will be forced to use the
screen font if you uncheck the "Font Substitution" box.

Needless to say, this can make your output a trifle blocky....

-------
Christopher Tate                   | somewhere i have never travelled,
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               | gladly beyond any experience,
...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105    | your eyes have their silence.

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (02/10/89)

In article <70667CXT105@PSUVM> CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) writes:
>Also, if you are working with one of the screen fonts designed to simulate a
>laser font (such as Palatino), the laser printer will be forced to use the
>screen font if you uncheck the "Font Substitution" box.
>
>Needless to say, this can make your output a trifle blocky....

This is not so, at least if you have the fonts and the LaserWriter set up
in the normal manner.  As far as I know the only way you get the screen
font from the printer is if the printer doesn't have the PostScript font,
i.e. if it's not a Plus or NT and you don't download the font.

David Casseres

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (02/12/89)

in article <203@Portia.Stanford.EDU>, hi@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Mustafa YILMAZ) says:

>      I know that when you try to print a Bit-Mapped Font from a
> LaserPrinter, it substitutes it with one of the LaserPrinter fonts.
>
> My question is:
>
> How does the LaserPrinter decide which LP font to substitute for any fonts ?
>                                 OR
> How can I force a LaserPrinter to print a specific font(e.g Times) instead of
> a bit-mapped font ?

The font substitution uses Courier for monospaced fonts (e.g., monaco),
Helvetica for sans-serif fonts (e.g., geneva), and Times for serifed fonts
(e.g., New York). If you want font substitution to use Times, be sure to
use a serifed bit-mapped font (some trial and error may help discover which
ones work best).

If you turn off font substitution (see Options on the LW print dialog box),
then you'll get your bit-mapped fonts, by the way.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai