[comp.sys.mac] survey: to spool or not

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (01/26/89)

Print spooling is obviously a desirable thing.
Yet, some people end up not using the spooler
they bought for one reason or another.

Do you use a spooler regularly?
 or
Do you use a spooler only occasionally?
 or
Have you tried and rejected one or more spooler products?
 or
Have you refrained from buying a spooler
because of bad things you've heard?
 or?

Respond to me by email or chat it on the net, whatever.
I'll summarize the email responses.

 --dave

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (01/28/89)

In article <476@grand.UUCP> day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:
>Print spooling is obviously a desirable thing.
>Yet, some people end up not using the spooler
>they bought for one reason or another.

I've been using LaserSpeed (from Think) for about a month. There doesn't
seem to be much choice in spoolers. The only other one I noticed was
SuperLaserSpool which was twice the price. I'm mostly satisfied with
LaserSpeed (i.e., it works as advertised), but have the following
problems:
1. You have to specify which disk you want to spool to. That's fine,
   except that it forgets the disk you specified when you reboot.
2. You have to manually prep the printer through LaserSpeed every time
   you turn the printer on. I have no idea why this is necessary and
   it's a frustrating inconvenience.
3. It has the ugliest user interface I've ever seen on a Mac.
The documentation is very sketchy.

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

rap@csadfa.oz (Robert Pearson) (02/01/89)

From article <4838@mnetor.UUCP>, by frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick):
> In article <476@grand.UUCP> day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:
>>Print spooling is obviously a desirable thing.
>>Yet, some people end up not using the spooler
>>they bought for one reason or another.
	I regularly use both SupserLaserspool , from an XP20,
and Superspool, from an XP20 and , of the disk on a Mac II.
I have only used the dataframe version of Superlaserspool. But
both versions of the other.
	They work most of the time. I seem to have trouble
with Textures. Not isolated yet, and early versions had difficulties
with colour. TheImagewriter works well with Pagemaker (3.0).
Otherwise they work well, including under multifinder .
They really save time.
 Robert Pearson
rap@cs.adfa.oz.au

david_islander_hughes@cup.portal.com (02/12/89)

CONFIGURATION:
MAC 2-X 4 MEG 140 MEG RODIME DRIVE
PM 3.1
ASSORTED INITS
SUPER LASER SPOOL 2.0

PROBLEM:
ON PM DOCS WITH NON-RESIDENT FONTS (ON NTX HARD DRIVE) I GET A LOUSY BIT-MAPPED
VERSION OF DOWNLOADED FONTS. IN ALDUS FORMAT, CRAPOLA...IN APPLE FORMAT I GET L
FONTS.....
ANY SUGESTIONS? I CALLED SUPERMAC AND THEY TOLD ME TO GET 'UPGRADE,', BUT
QUATRO MARKETING SAYS 2.0 IS THE 'UPGRADE1"