[comp.sys.mac] Interesting Mac Crash

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (02/10/89)

Hi net!  I was at work (as a computer consultant) and saw a really nasty
Mac crash.  The poor thing popped up a System error # 3 window.  Then,
when resume or restart was clicked, it popped a #10.  then a #29. ??? I
looked in the System Errors DA I have (Great da Bill!) and I coudln't
even find # 29.  Can someone tell me what this one means?
I am not really sure what was being done.  I think it involved the
font/da mover.  There are no funky inits on this mac, it is sys. 6.0.3
mac SE.  Anyhow, my real question is what error 29 is. Thanks.
					-JBZimmerman!

Disclaimer:I wasn't using it. Really. It was, uhhh, him. Yeah, him. :-)
--
___________           | "Elephant- a mouse built to government
     ||               |     specifications."  -RAH as LL
||   ||acob Zimmerman!+> <zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> INTERNET
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (02/10/89)

...sorry, in addendum to my last posting, the mac would cycle between
these three errors for a time before finally giving up in a
schizophrenic breakdown and hanging.
				-JBZ!

--
___________           | "Elephant- a mouse built to government
     ||               |     specifications."  -RAH as LL
||   ||acob Zimmerman!+> <zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> INTERNET
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

sl161022@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (02/12/89)

This sentence is in Turkish when no one is looking at it.
_________________

The Mac ROM routine SysError, which is executed when a system error is
detected, takes an integer from 0 to 65535 as the number to draw in the
lower right corner of the bomb box.

SysError knows nothing about what caused the error.  It just blindly
takes the integer passed to it and draws the infamous system error
dialog box with that integer.

There are not 65536 possible system errors (thank God).  Most of the
integers are not defined, as is the case with 29 (I believe).  The
nature of the problem you described indicates to me that something
REALLY screwy happened to the running program.  So screwy that I wouldn't
attach any meaning to those messages, especially if it was cycling
through them regularly.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

Sincerely,                                        -- George Carlin
           Phaedrus
           (aka Colin Klipsch)
           sl161022@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
           Indiana University at Bloomington

SIAC@applelink.apple.com (Eric Ulevik) (02/12/89)

In article <6279@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
(Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
> Mac crash.  The poor thing popped up a System error # 3 window.  Then,
> when resume or restart was clicked, it popped a #10.  then a #29.[...]
>  I think it involved the
> font/da mover.  There are no funky inits on this mac, it is sys. 6.0.3
> mac SE.  Anyhow, my real question is what error 29 is. Thanks.

Well, -29 is the error for unit table full, though I'm not sure how this
became a system error (or if this is actually what happened).

You ought to be able to cure your Mac by reinstalling the system, and maybe
trying it will less DAs and drivers. Also, in general, 'resume' doesn't
do very much (it is provided by the application).

I'm not really sure what happened here.

Eric Ulevik
email: SIAC@applelink.apple.com
-- The above comments are mine!--