[comp.sys.mac] Lots of Questions on Mac <Long>

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (02/07/89)

Subject: Lots of Questions on Mac <Long>

     Last week I posted some questions.  Here are my responses so
far, summarized as promised.  The next posting will be questions
that have not been answered.  Thanks to everyone who replied!

From: e118 student <euler.berkeley.edu!e118-ak> --Linc Madison
>> If you are over a week behind in reading comp.sys.mac   >>
>> please DO NOT mail me reply's......
Easy way to prevent ''late'' responses:
Use the news ''Cancel'' command on your own post when you have enough replies.
(Make sure to note your local Article#)

From: John Canning <john%banzai.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>
Could you post a summary of the answers you get to your questions?
I would be quite appreciative.

Questions:

From: inuxc!iuvax!ndmath!dierks (Tim Dierks(MADMACS))
> 1. Which is better: Turning off my Macs power with the power switch on
> the Mac, or cutting power from my power strip switch, leaving the
> Mac's power on.
     I don't think it makes any difference.

> 2. Can I safely store two or more systems on one disk?  NOTE:  I don't
> mean running systems.  Each has a folder like 'sys3.2a', 'sys3.2auto',
> NOT 'system folder'.  I'm saving several versions of the old systems,
> but I don't want to waste that many disks.  When I use them I will
> move them to their own disk.
     Don't do this.  The folder name makes no difference, and having multiple
  systems may cause really strange symptoms.

> 3. What is DA Handler on System 6.0.2?  I've read the system docs, but
> I still can't figure it out.  Does it have to do with Multifinder?
     When you're running MF, if you choose a DA, it gets stuck in its own little
  layer with all the other DAs. That layer is really a tiny application.  That
  application is stored in a file called 'DA Handler'

> 4. What is anonymous ftp?  sumex?  How do they work?  How do I get
> access, etc?  What are archives?
     Ftp is a program used for transferring files between systems over the
  Internet.  Anonymous ftp allows anyone to get files by logging in as
  anonymous.  Sumex is the name of a system that holds archives of Mac files.
  Talk to your sysadmin about using ftp.

From: "Dave Zuhn" <zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>
2. Can I safely store two or more systems on one disk?....
Storing two or more system folders on a disk is a bad thing.  You are
never sure which one will boot (usually the most recently modified one)

The ROM does not look for 'System Folder' as the name, but looks in finder
information where is stored a bit saying that this folder is 'Blessed; by
having a system and finder in it.... leading to the apple tech note style
of referring to 'The Blessed Folder' (which is what mine is called BTW).

From: "Dave Zuhn" <zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>
4. What is anonymous ftp?  sumex?  How do they work?  How do I get
access, etc?
FTP is a means by which two machines on the same internet can exchange files.
Anonymous FTP is a special setup by which an archive site (such as sumex) can
make it's file (or some of them) available to the genereal public, without
requiring an account on the archive machine.  For details, contact your system
administrator to determined whether or not your machine is on 'THE INTERNET'.

If so, do 'ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu', with a user name of 'anonymous' and
send your ident <username@host> as the password.  Then 'cd info-mac/help' and
read the informational files there, and have fun persuing the archives.

Hope this helps.  for more info, just reply.

Requests for items:
4.  How do I get Stuffit 1.5.1?  I've got BinHex4 and Stuffit1.0, so
could someone send it to me?
Dave Zuhn sent me a copy.  Thanks!

*.   How can I translate an Apple //c black and white HiRes (not
double) screen file to a Macintosh MacPaint file?  I know there will
be some distortion, but I'd like to try.  I know assembly language
on the //c, and Pascal on the mac.  I don't know the file formats.
Can anyone help?

From: Alan Stein <ucbvax!jade.berkeley.edu!STEIN%UCONNVM.bitnet>
  SHR Convert will convert graphic formats.  Of course, it may convert
to a Mac format but then give you the problem of getting the Mac to
recognize it.  One solution might be to convert it to a GIF format and
then, after copying to a Mac with AFE, using a utility on a Mac to
convert GIF files to a Mac graphic format

Thank you one and all.
* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (02/07/89)

     I'd like to ask the following questions again, and a few new ones:
Please respond by mail. I will summarize to the net later.

** Thank you one and all.  I won't tie up **
** the net/mail with individual thanks.   **

Questions:

1. According to The Macintosh Bible (I highly recommend this book, no
affiliation) the Mac SE's 256K ROMS contain the system fonts (Chicago
12, Geneva 9,12, Monaco 9) and twelve other fonts for European
languages and Japanese.
a. How can I access the European and Japanese language fonts?
b. How can I make my System use the ROM system fonts?
c. How can I force Font/DA Mover to remove the system fonts from my
System?
If I cannot do these things, than why the <insert expletive> are they
there?  I've got 2 drives, and no hard disk, so space is tight!

2. How can I translate an Apple //c black and white HiRes (not
double) screen file to a Macintosh MacPaint file?  I know there will
be some distortion, but I'd like to try.  I know assembly language
on the //c, and Pascal on the mac.  I don't know the file formats.
Is there an Apple File Exchange routine to change Prodos Graphics
into MacPaint Graphics?

3.  Does anyone have a list of Mac bomb codes?  (i.e. ID=33, etc)

4.  Does anyone have a list of abbreviations for ResEdit? (i.e. BNDL,
ALRT, etc.)

5.  How do I get a copy of Resedit 1.2b3?  Is it copyrighted?  If so,
how do I get it from Apple?  How do I contact Apple Prog. and Dev.
Assn.?

6. I'd like to get a brief table of virus programs.  Can someone help
me with this table?
PROGRAM    VER.  INIT CDEV PROG CHECK FIXES  BRIEF EXPLANATION, NOTES:
Interferon 3.1              XX   XX          Checks for Hpat?
Ferret     1.1              XX
Vaccine    1.0.1  XX   XX        XX    ??    Rename 'A vaccine'
Virus RX   1.4a1            XX   XX    ??    Apple, has Auto Scan
GateKeeper 1.0    XX   XX                    Current version is buggy?
Kill Scores                 XX
ResEdit    1.2b3
Virus Detective   Desk Acc.
more???

7. Will DiskInfo DA eject disks someway? (I have 12/16/86)

8. Is there a diagnostic program that checks the Macintosh to see if
It's functioning right?

9. I'm Curious: On MS Word, cursor at top of screen, I move box to
bottom of scroll bar, screen updates, then I just barely hear about 30
chirps similar to what you hear when you scroll the document. These
come after the screen update.  What are these?  (Not a problem, just
barely noticeable).

10. We have not received AutoBlack 1.5 here.  Could someone send it to
me?

11. How do I get a new copy of MacinTalk (I've got 1/1/83)?  Is it

root@radar.UUCP (Donn S. Fishbein) (02/13/89)

>Easy way to prevent ''late'' responses:
>Use the news ''Cancel'' command on your own post when you have enough replies.
>(Make sure to note your local Article#)

I think this is a bad idea. Even though it may save the poster a little bit
of time, it has the effect of increasing the transmission load on the net.
A cancellation is just like another article (albeit a short one).