[comp.sys.mac] Kanji on the Mac

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (02/08/89)

We are hosting a vistor from Japan who would like to write documents
in Kanji to be printed on a laser printer and sent back to Japan.

I have been asked to investigate using a Mac for this purpose; I'm
very familiar with the Mac but haven't paid any attention to
the international uses of the Mac. I don't speak Japanese nor
can I read Kanji.

Is it necessary to have the Japanese version of the Mac?
Are they even available for sale in this country?

If one can use a US Mac, what is required in the way of system level
software?
What is KanjiTalk and what does it accomplish?
(For example, does is give me a Japanese version of the Finder with
menu items in Japanese; does it let me name files using Kanji?)
What is the relationship, if any, between the Script Manager
and KanjiTalk?

I'm assuming that a word processor will fulfill his needs.
Is there a Kanji word processor on the US market?
If there is such a beast, is it standalone, or does it require KanjiTalk?
Or does KanjiTalk let me use Microsoft Word (or what US word
processors are compatible with KanjiTalk if MS Word is not)?
I assume that the text in menus, dialog boxes, etc. is still in
English; are there internationalized versions (Japanese) of US
developed software, available in the US, that would present the entire
Mac interface in Kanji?

Its my vague understanding that KanjiTalk is a special distribution
of System Tools and that it lags (far?) behind the current US
distribution (6.0.3). If that is the case, what version of the System
does KanjiTalk support and especially, how does that limit
the Macs (Plus, SE, SE/030, Mac II, Mac IIx) that I can run it on?

Is it true that all Macs have the Kanji screen font in ROM or is that
only true of the Japanese Macs?
I assume that such a screen font would be very large and if it
is RAM resident on US Macs that it might make a MacPlus look like a
128K Mac. What is the recommended amount of RAM needed to support
Kanji on a US Mac?

Is there an Adobe Postscript Kanji font that can be downloaded to
an Apple LaserWriter II NTX?
Is it available in the US?
What about non-Adobe Postscript Kanji fonts?

Is there a Kanji knowledgible Apple (or other) dealer (or consultant)
in the US (possible California?) that would be a source for Japanese
Macs, KanjiTalk, Kanji word processors, internationalized (Japanese)
versions of MS Word, MacWrite, etc., Adobe Kanji fonts, etc.?

In short, what is the best way of making this visitor feel at home,
without flying over to an Apple dealer in Japan and picking up
a system?

Thanks for your help. I have travelled to many places in this world
and have often been astonished by strangers bending over backwards
to help me out. I'd like to return the favor now to someone who
will find themselves in the predicament I once was, and show them
that we are not all "Ugly Americans".

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@scdpyr.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@scdpyr.UUCP

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (02/08/89)

In article <1376@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@bierstadt.UCAR.EDU (Herb Poppe) writes:
>If one can use a US Mac, what is required in the way of system level
>software?
>What is KanjiTalk and what does it accomplish?
KanjiTalk, available from APDA is a complete finder and o.s. for mixed
Japanese/English use for the Macintosh. It is based on a fairly old release
of The Macintosh O.S., so some of the more recent applications may run
with reduced functionality.  You get fonts, and a new keyboard map, and
script mamager upgrades to be able to handle the >6000 symbol kanji
fonts.  Programs like exccel and the finder, that use TextEdit for their
text manipluation will run fine in KanjiTalk.

Word processors generally do not use TextEdit, so unless they specifically
say Script Manager compatible, they will give problems.  Most American
companies that produce Japanese versions of their products do not sell
them in the U.S. because they can't adequately support them here.

Qualitas Trading Company, Berkeley CA. imports Japanese versions of
American software and sells them in this country.  For example, they stock
the Japanese version of PageMaker.

--- David Phillip Oster            --"When we replace the mouse with a pen,
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --3 button mouse fans will need saxophone
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --lessons." - Gasee

wdh@well.UUCP (Bill Hofmann) (02/09/89)

In article <1376@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@bierstadt.UCAR.EDU (Herb Poppe) writes:
>We are hosting a vistor from Japan who would like to write documents
>in Kanji to be printed on a laser printer and sent back to Japan.
>
>What is KanjiTalk and what does it accomplish?
KanjiTalk 1.1 is a version of the script manager that supports Japanese,
entered as Katakana or Hiragana.  It comes on two disks, one that has
fonts and the other that has system and finder (with Japanese naming).
I'm not sure what system level it is.  It does work on a Plus, so ought
to work on an SE or II, at least in 2 bit mode.  KanjiTalk 2.0 is either
under development or just released.  Of course, APDA doesn't have it yet.

>I'm assuming that a word processor will fulfill his needs.
>Is there a Kanji word processor on the US market?
>If there is such a beast, is it standalone, or does it require KanjiTalk?
There's something called EG Word, which I'm not sure requires KanjiTalk,
though it probably does.  Also, there's a version of PageMaker, rather
pricey (List $995), that supports Kanji.  The latest MacWorld has an ad
from Qualitas Trading Co. 415-848-5815 for it. [PS: I'm just typing this in,
I only wish I got a commission.]

>Is there an Adobe Postscript Kanji font that can be downloaded to
>an Apple LaserWriter II NTX?
Adobe was showing a Kanji Postscript printer at MacWorld.  Your best bet
might be to call them and ask.  I think that currently, you just use
the bitmap fonts.  Aldus may have a solution for PageMaker.

-Bill Hofmann
   Flashpoint

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/11/89)

wdh@well.UUCP(Bill Hofmann) writes in comp.sys.mac

>In article <1376@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@bierstadt.UCAR.EDU (Herb Poppe) writes:
>>We are hosting a vistor from Japan who would like to write documents
>>in Kanji to be printed on a laser printer and sent back to Japan.
>>
>>What is KanjiTalk and what does it accomplish?
>KanjiTalk 1.1 is a version of the script manager that supports Japanese,
>entered as Katakana or Hiragana.  It comes on two disks, one that has
>fonts and the other that has system and finder (with Japanese naming).
>I'm not sure what system level it is.  It does work on a Plus, so ought
>to work on an SE or II, at least in 2 bit mode.  KanjiTalk 2.0 is either
>under development or just released.  Of course, APDA doesn't have it yet.

	I can't let this go without a correction. Sorry Bill...

	THE SCRIPT MANAGER IS NOT THE SAME AS AN INTERFACE SYSTEM!!!

	The Script Manager (SM) is the underlying mechanism (Toolbox Manager - like
the Window or Menu Manager) by which foreign language processing is done under
the Macintosh O.S.
	An Interface System is a localized version of the files contained on the
System Tools disks (example include AIS (Arabic Interface System) and KIS
(Kanji Interface System)) which may also include a series of additional files
such as INITs and language dictionaries which are required to properly
implemented processing in that language.

	Sorry again for the tirade, but I wanted to clear this up....

+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +

fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (02/11/89)

Sorry to contrict, but KanjiTalk 2.0 has been out for a long time.  I have it
one the Mac II I am running this on.  Sources in Japan say that KanjiTalk 3.0
will actually be out shortly (they said March).  I can't vouch for the
accuracy of that, but it was rumored to be released with the JTX or somesuch --
I assume that is a Kanji laserprinter.  You are right about ADPA however, they
are still selling KanjiTalk 1.? as far as I know (although to be honest I
haven't actually checked a catalog recently).
                                                        Paul Fons
                                        University of Illinois
                                        Coordinated Science Laboratory
                                        1101 W. Springfield Av.
                                        Urbana, Illinois 61801 U.S.A.
                              email:   Fons@uiucvmd.bitnet or...
                                        Fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

melby@s.cs.uiuc.edu (02/13/89)

> [...]  Sources in Japan say that KanjiTalk 3.0
> will actually be out shortly (they said March).

According to rumors I heard in Japan, KanjiTalk 6.0 is now out.  The
upgrade cost from KanjiTalk 2.0 is 14,000 yen (i.e. quite outrageous).  It
works with Multifinder, but it is said to be quite buggy.  (It may only be
available for developers at the current time...)