[comp.sys.mac] Can an SE internal hard disk be used in a Plus?

tomc.build@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) (02/02/89)

Does anyone have any thoughts on using an Apple internal hard
disk from an SE in a Mac Plus?  A friend has a SE w/ 20 Meg
hard disk and he would like to get a larger drive, and we
want to know if it is possible to install the SE's hard disk in a
Mac Plus, or rig up a power supply to it and use it externally.

Any ideas?

:                              | GEnie:       T.CARSTENSEN   :
:      Thomas Carstensen       | Delphi:      CARSTENSEN     :
:       Mentor Graphics        | CompuServe:  73627,2762     :
:     8500 SW Creekside Pl.    |                             :
:   Beaverton, OR 97005-7191   | tomc@pdx.MENTOR.COM         :
:       (503) 626-7000         | ...{sequent,tessi,attunix,  :
:                              |     apollo}!mntgfx!tomc     :
:     Your life is like a schedule, your out to meet the     :
:     bills, no one's around to tell you, Life Kills.        :
:                             - The Human League             :

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (02/08/89)

in article <1989Feb1.162245.857@mntgfx.mentor.com>, tomc.build@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) says:

> Does anyone have any thoughts on using an Apple internal hard
> disk from an SE in a Mac Plus?  A friend has a SE w/ 20 Meg
> hard disk and he would like to get a larger drive, and we
> want to know if it is possible to install the SE's hard disk in a
> Mac Plus, or rig up a power supply to it and use it externally.

	I am not certain of this but I think the Mac Plus can't
	have an internal hard drive because it doesn't have an
	internal SCSI port.  If the Mac Plus does have an internal
	SCSI port, then I see no reason why it theoretically can't
	be used.  (though if they don't, I'm sure there's a reason)

	Joe Gunoz - cooper.cooper.edu

kent@sunfs2.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (02/11/89)

In article <1470@cooper.cooper.EDU> joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) writes:
>in article <1989Feb1.162245.857@mntgfx.mentor.com>, tomc.build@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) says:
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts on using an Apple internal hard
>> disk from an SE in a Mac Plus?  A friend has a SE w/ 20 Meg
>> hard disk and he would like to get a larger drive, and we
>> want to know if it is possible to install the SE's hard disk in a
>	I am not certain of this but I think the Mac Plus can't
>	have an internal hard drive because it doesn't have an
>	internal SCSI port.  If the Mac Plus does have an internal

The problems are the purely practical ones (which is what engineering
is all about).

If you want to put the disk inside the Plus you will have to worry
about:

	-Power supply. The disk drive will want clean DC power,
	 probably 5 and 12 volts.  The Plus doesn't have any extra.
	 You will have to add a power supply.
	-Heat.  The disk will produce heat.  The Plus already has
	 plenty of that, you will have to add some sort of fan.
	-Mounting.  You will have to put it some where inside the
	 Plus.  Not too close to the high voltage of the CRT please,
	 not where it will come loose and crash about, etc.
	-SCSI.  You will have to tap into the SCSI lines--there is no
	 connector waiting for you to plug into in there, and you
	 *don't* want to start hand soldering all those lines.
	-Interference.  You will have to be sure there is no mutual
	 electrical interference (conducted or radiated) between
	 everything you add and what is already in there.
	-The result will be a very non-standard contraption that will
	 be very difficult to ever get fixed or sell.

It can be done, it has been done.  It has also been abandoned by those
who did it.  I suspect it is not worth it.

If you want to put the disk in a separate box and use it as an
external drive your concerns are fewer:

	-Build a box.  Same problems as above, but much fewer.  Should
	 be possible to use standard connectors, standard power supply,
	 standard fan, etc.  Much more physical, electrical, and
	 thermal freedom.
	-Find a box.  If you find one designed just for this purpose
	 (they do exist), it might have everything already in place
	 ready for you to add one disk drive and plug in.  This will
	 cost some money, but is probably worth it.

An external drive has advantages.  Though your Mac is less portable
with an external drive, the drive itself is far more portable.  If you
know anyone else who has a Mac you should consider an external drive.
An external can be daisy-chained for transferring data (not commercial
software please), can be swapped about for diagnostic purposes, can be
hidden in a drawer (on a 6" SCSI cable) for silence.

Third possibility: Sell the drive and buy a new one.  The Apple SE
drive is slow, small, and noisy.  (People blame the fan in the SE for
making so much noise, on a friend of mine's SE it is the Apple disk
drive the sounds like a vacuum cleaner.)

Good Luck.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd or hscfvax!lloyd!kent or kent%lloyd@hscfvax.harvard.edu

wally@tc.fluke.COM (Wally Miller) (02/11/89)

I owned a disk drive made by General Computer that went into a Mac Plus.
This is not something that I'd recommend to anyone.  There are a lot of
problems with putting anything like a disk drive inside a Plus.  The fact
that there is isn't an internal SCSI connector is minor.  GCC used to
put a seperate power supply and fan inside their units.   The biggest problem
is with the Plus analog board.  It really wasn't designed to supply this extra
power.  The addition of a seperate power supply and a hard disk also will
cause extra heating which will shorten the life of all of the electronics.

The longest period of time my internal hyperdrive went without repair was one
year.  Ane two of the three repairs were Analog Board swaps!

--
-- Wally Miller
   {decvax!microsof,uw-beaver,ssc-vax,allegra,ucbvax!lbl-csam,sun}!fluke!wally

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/13/89)

In article <1470@cooper.cooper.EDU> joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) writes:

<	I am not certain of this but I think the Mac Plus can't
<	have an internal hard drive because it doesn't have an
<	internal SCSI port.  If the Mac Plus does have an internal
<	SCSI port, then I see no reason why it theoretically can't
<	be used.  (though if they don't, I'm sure there's a reason)

I know two people that have internal hard drives in their Pluses. I
suspect that it was done by Levco. These machines are at least two years
old.

Shirley Kehr