[comp.sys.mac] memory expansion on newer SEs

marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) (01/23/89)

 Help.

I was just about to upgrade another SE from 1 meg to 2.5 meg using
some 1 meg simms. To my surprise Apple has revised the motherboard.
There are no longer two resistor locations labelled "256k" and "one
row". Now there is a 3 pin header with a shorting block. The two
locations are labelled "1 meg" and "2/4 meg". Assuming it is possible,
how do I position the shorting block to allow a 2.5 meg configuration?
(that is 1 meg simms in the "first" row and 256ks in the second row.)

Stacy

marsella@aramis.rutgers.edu

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark Johnson) (01/24/89)

In article <Jan.22.17.22.52.1989.3986@athos.rutgers.edu> marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) writes:

> Help.
>
>I was just about to upgrade another SE from 1 meg to 2.5 meg using
>some 1 meg simms. To my surprise Apple has revised the motherboard.
>There are no longer two resistor locations labelled "256k" and "one
>row". Now there is a 3 pin header with a shorting block. The two
>locations are labelled "1 meg" and "2/4 meg". Assuming it is possible,
>how do I position the shorting block to allow a 2.5 meg configuration?
>(that is 1 meg simms in the "first" row and 256ks in the second row.)

A revised version of the Tech Note (#176) will be out in February to include
the new SE motherboard as well as the IIx and SE/30 memory configurations.
Until that time, here are the jumper settings for memory on the newer SE
motherboards with the jumpers...

512K       Jumper on 2/4MB
1 MB       Jumper on 1MB
2 MB       Jumper on 2/4MB
2.5 MB     Jumper off
4 MB       Jumper off

We would have had this info out sooner, but we just found out ourselves a
very short time ago.

Mark B. Johnson                                           AppleLink: m.johnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (01/31/89)

In the same vein, what will the SE30 logic boards look like?  Will they
have a jumper?  Will 1 Meg SE30's have 4 256k SIMMs or 1 1Meg SIMM?
--

                                               - Scott

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (01/31/89)

In article <5950@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) writes:
>In the same vein, what will the SE30 logic boards look like?  Will they
>have a jumper?  Will 1 Meg SE30's have 4 256k SIMMs or 1 1Meg SIMM?

If you look in the Feb. 89 issue of BYTE, there is a full-page picture of the
logic board on pg. 114.  You will note that there are 8 SIMM slots.  These
are populated in blocks of 4.  A 1MB SE/30 has four 256K SIMMs.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (02/02/89)

I have heard that SE's now come in 2 flavors... the standard 1MB, and a new
configuration, the 2MB (with a 40 MB hard disk....).

My question is this.... what is the configuration like in this 2MB SE?  Does
it come with one bank of 2 1MB and the other bank empty, or does it come as
a set up with 8 256K SIMMS (like the dove adapters....)?

I need to know te
The answer to this soon, as we are thinking of getting one of these 2MB monsters.

Thanks

Keith

uunet!rob!elliston
    -ro
     -or-
elliston@rob.UUCP

awzy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/04/89)

In article <325@rob.UUCP> elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) writes:
>My question is this.... what is the configuration like in this 2MB SE?  Does
>it come with one bank of 2 1MB and the other bank empty, or does it come as
>a set up with 8 256K SIMMS (like the dove adapters....)?

If you are talking about the SE/30 (which I think you are !) then the 2Mb
configuration MUST comes with 8 256K simms (unless you build 4 512K simms ! )

Remember that the SE/30 is a 32bit machine (like II, IIx) and therefor memory
upgrades MUST be 4 simms at a time (not like the plus and SE where they need
to be by pairs).

Hope this helped.
--------------------------
Alain Dumesny
awzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (02/07/89)

In article <17891@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>, awzy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
> In article <325@rob.UUCP> elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) writes:
> >My question is this.... what is the configuration like in this 2MB SE?  Does
> >it come with one bank of 2 1MB and the other bank empty, or does it come as
> >a set up with 8 256K SIMMS (like the dove adapters....)?
>
> If you are talking about the SE/30 (which I think you are !) then the 2Mb
> configuration MUST comes with 8 256K simms (unless you build 4 512K simms ! )
>
> Alain Dumesny

Alain:

I wasnt referring to the SEx(30), but to the old SE(0?), packaged from apple
with 2 MB and a 40 Meg HD.  I got the lead on this machine from someone whe
got the info from apple.  He is interested in orderingsome of them, but
neither of us knows what the upgradability of them is.  That is why I
want to know if this "new" configuration is as above, or some other
convolution of memory that I have no idea exists.

Can anyone tell me any more about the 2MB/40MB SE???

Keith

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark Johnson) (02/08/89)

In article <331@rob.UUCP> elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) writes:

>Can anyone tell me any more about the 2MB/40MB SE???
>
>Keith

All of the possible memory configurations are documented in Tech Note #176.
For a Mac Plus or SE to be 2 MB, it has two 1 MB SIMMS in slots 1 and 2.  In
the newer revision SE motherboard it is slots 3 and 4.  You can add two 256K
SIMMS to make it a 2.5 MB machine or two 1 MB SIMMS to go to 4 MB.

sd5y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/08/89)

>Alain:
>
>I wasnt referring to the SEx(30), but to the old SE(0?), packaged from apple
>with 2 MB and a 40 Meg HD.  I got the lead on this machine from someone whe
>got the info from apple.  He is interested in orderingsome of them, but
>neither of us knows what the upgradability of them is.  That is why I
>want to know if this "new" configuration is as above, or some other
>convolution of memory that I have no idea exists.
>
>Can anyone tell me any more about the 2MB/40MB SE???
>
>Keith

Sorry keith, with all the people talking about the se/30 I though you were
talking about the se/30 (confused because you talked about 8 256k simms).
Anyway.  I am almost 100% sure that a 2Mb se (old !) would include 2 1 Mb simms
I would be REALLY surprise to see piggy backpack boards like the dove upgrade
for a machine that comes from Apple.  I havn't actually opened on of this, so
this is why I am 'nearly' 100% sure.
(I used to work as an Apple technician at a dealer).

Hope this helped.
Alain Dumesny

ah2@stl.stc.co.uk (Amos Hornsby) (02/13/89)

In article <331@rob.UUCP> elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) writes:
>In article <17891@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>, awzy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>> In article <325@rob.UUCP> elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) writes:
>> >My question is this.... what is the configuration like in this 2MB SE?  Does
>> >it come with one bank of 2 1MB and the other bank empty, or does it come as
>> >a set up with 8 256K SIMMS (like the dove adapters....)?

We took delivery of some of the new SE's (not 030) with 2MB RAM and 40MB hard disk, the memory configuration is now 2x1MB SIMMS and they have also added a jumper on the motherboard so that you don't have to mess about cutting resistors when you add extra memory.
I hope this answers your question.

   Amos Hornsby
   STC Technology Ltd. London Road, Harlow, Essex.
             (ah2@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!stl!ah2
	     <or> PSI234237100122::ah2 <or> +44-279-29531 x2725)