[comp.sys.mac] KanjiTalk on MacII?

nash@arisia.Xerox.COM (Ronald Nash) (02/01/89)

I need to get KanjiTalk up and running on a MacII. I have version
1.1. from APDA, but no success in installing it (no kanji in the
menubar, SICNs indicating modes don't appear). I suspect a
font problem, but the minimal docs are no help. Has anyone
successfully installed this on a MacII?

-Ron Nash

aa0s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adel Talaat Assaad) (02/01/89)

Hi,
I bought the Script Manager Developer's Package a LOOONG time ago,
(that was version 1.0). This package included among other things the
KanjiTalk 1.1 and the Arabic Interface System 1.1, plus some notes on
compatiblity, testing, release notes, etc..

Page 2 states:
"Both KanjiTalk 1.1 and AIS 1.1 are compatible with te Macintosh Plus.
The Macintosh SE and Macintosh II versions of KanjiTalk and AIS were
still under development when this document was written."

The Arabic package, incidentally, works VERY marginally on my MacII, and
that's being polite, considering it has the old control panels and
all sorts of dinosaurish features. So I am indeed sure they were both NOT
intended to work on an SE or a II.

Two possibilities exist:

 1) Either Apple is still selling the same old stuff, except they
don't tell it won't work on anything but a Mac Plus ( and they really
should STOP doing that!). Depending on when you bought your own copy,
that may very well be the case, since YOUR version number is the SAME
as the one I have.

or

2) They released more or less "Universal" versions under the same
version number, in which case I don't know how on god's earth they
expected me to find out about it, considering that the listing in
APDAlog didn't change.

I do think, however, that there isn't yet a MacSE/II-compatible version.
Does anyone know better?
A. Assaad
CMU, PGH, PA.

Disclaimer: I am a bit ticked off by the "corporate" attitude
pervading the new APDAlog. Take my harshness towards Apple with a
grain of salt.

aida@porthos.csl.sri.com (Hitoshi Aida) (02/02/89)

Try using KanjiTalk version 2.0.  Actually, EGBridge which comes with
EGWord Japanese word processor is better than the Kana-Kanji conversion
of vanilla KanjiTalk 2.0.  You can get a copy of EGWord 3.0 from
	Qualitas Trading Co.,
	6907 Norfolk Rd., Berkeley, CA 94705
	(415)848-8080 or (415)848-5815 .
I myself made a modification to KanjiTalk 2.0 so that the system font
almost looks like Chicago.  Otherwise it is hard to read the grayed texts
in the menu bar.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Qualitas Trading except I bought
the EGWord/EGBook software from them....
--------
Hitoshi AIDA (aida@csl.sri.com)
Computer Science Lab, SRI International

drew@cat45.CS.WISC.EDU (Shawn Drew) (02/02/89)

In article <UXtlO5y00WB5I1WoVl@andrew.cmu.edu> aa0s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adel Talaat Assaad) writes:
>Hi,
>I bought the Script Manager Developer's Package a LOOONG time ago,
>(that was version 1.0). This package included among other things the
>KanjiTalk 1.1 and the Arabic Interface System 1.1, plus some notes on
>compatiblity, testing, release notes, etc..
>
>Page 2 states:
>"Both KanjiTalk 1.1 and AIS 1.1 are compatible with te Macintosh Plus.
>The Macintosh SE and Macintosh II versions of KanjiTalk and AIS were
>still under development when this document was written."
>
>The Arabic package, incidentally, works VERY marginally on my MacII, and
>that's being polite, considering it has the old control panels and
>all sorts of dinosaurish features. So I am indeed sure they were both NOT
>intended to work on an SE or a II.

[misc stuff deleted]

>I do think, however, that there isn't yet a MacSE/II-compatible version.
>Does anyone know better?
>A. Assaad
>CMU, PGH, PA.
>
>Disclaimer: I am a bit ticked off by the "corporate" attitude
>pervading the new APDAlog. Take my harshness towards Apple with a
>grain of salt.

Here are my experiences with the Arabic Interface System (sorry, but I have
never used, and hence never owned, the KanjiiTalk System).

The version that I have of AIS is 1.2B3, dated 12/21/87.  That originally
came on a System/Finder so old as to be unknown.  The Finder is 5.5, but I
have no idea what version the System is.  Anyway it must be 3.0 because the
new control panel works on it.

I am completely able to make this work on any Mac Plus, SE, or II (I haven't
tried a IIx or SEx).  However, I cannot stand to use any system other than
6.02.  So, before System 6.02 was released, I successfully installed AIS in
System 5.0.  It worked beautifully.  When System 6.0 came out, I naturally
tried the same technique.  However, it would not work AT ALL.

*HOWEVER* Do not fear, as Apple has announced a version 2.0 of AIS!  It was
announced at MacWorld.  I had someone I know that was already going to the
expo try to get it for me.  But Apple claimed "it's beta, we can't give it
out!" and he couldn't get it.  What do they mean, "it's beta"?  The only
version I HAVE is beta!

	Shawn Drew   aka   Essam Khairullah

****** The opinions expressed in this article are my own ******
**********    Who else would want to claim them?    ***********
   drew@cat18.cs.wisc.edu      shawn@h8001.cae.wisc.edu

melby@s.cs.uiuc.edu (02/04/89)

KanjiTalk 2.0 works on both the SE and the Mac II.  (To use it on a 1 Mb
machine, a font disk without the 16-point files should be prepared.)

fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (02/06/89)

I have a Japanese friend who has KanjiTalk 2.0 running on his machine (MacII
5 MB memory).  First off there is no problem running KanjiTalk on his machine,
the problem is that he just purchased a HP InkJet printer (I can't recall the
exact brand name -- something like ThinkJet).  In any case this printer works
fine with Grappler LS (a software package he bought from Orange Micro) for the
U.S. system.  It fails when he attempts to use it from the KanjiTalk system
with the message that it requires a more recent system (I don't recall the
number -- suffice to say that the KT system is 4.1-J1, the latest system.)  The
question is how long will it be before Apple releases a more up-to-date system.
There is a growing pool of software that requires newer versions of the OS.
Does anyone a tentative release date for a newer version of KT?
Thanks in advance.                                                        Paul Fons
                                        University of Illinois
                                        Coordinated Science Laboratory
                                        1101 W. Springfield Av.
                                        Urbana, Illinois 61801 U.S.A.
                              email:   Fons@uiucvmd.bitnet or...
                                        Fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/07/89)

fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu(Paul Fons) writes in comp.sys.mac

>[misc. info on problem]
>It fails when he attempts to use it from the KanjiTalk system
>with the message that it requires a more recent system (I don't recall the
>number -- suffice to say that the KT system is 4.1-J1, the latest system.)  The
>question is how long will it be before Apple releases a more up-to-date system.
>There is a growing pool of software that requires newer versions of the OS.
>Does anyone a tentative release date for a newer version of KT?

	This is a global problem in that Apple has to first get the US System out
the door and THEN worry about doing the international versions of that release.
So while Apple is behind, there is a solution....

	Remember that the Script Interface systems do NO require the WHOLE system
to run, they only need the INIT (which sets everything up) and a bunch of
resources (FONTs, itlx, etc.) that set up the info about the particular
interface (and in the case of Kanji, the dictionary file).  Armed with the
Script Manager Development kit and a GOOD IDEA of how to use ResEdit you can
simply move the resources into your own US System and WOW! you've got USSystem
x.x that now also has the international stuff...the only change from using the
standard international system is that English is the 'system' language not
whatever (which for most people is good since this way all the menus, dialogs,
etc. are in English...).  This method also allows for multiple languages
installed at the same time...I once had the Hebrew, Arabic and Kanji interface
systems all installed into my USSystem 4.2 (back when the SM first came out).

+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +

aida@porthos.csl.sri.com (Hitoshi Aida) (02/08/89)

In article <46100279@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Remember that the Script Interface systems do NO require the WHOLE system
>to run, they only need the INIT (which sets everything up) and a bunch of
>resources (FONTs, itlx, etc.) that set up the info about the particular
>interface (and in the case of Kanji, the dictionary file).  Armed with the
>Script Manager Development kit and a GOOD IDEA of how to use ResEdit you can
>simply move the resources into your own US System and WOW! you've got USSystem
>x.x that now also has the international stuff...

But the problem is that the system software newer than 6.0 seems to have
a different version of Script Manager (different magic number, itl4
resources etc.) and KanjiTalk refuses to run on such systems....

tex@wucc.waseda.JUNET (KAMIYA Fumiaki) (02/08/89)

In article <20200016@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Does anyone a tentative release date for a newer version of KT?

I don't know the exact release date for the new KanjiTalk6.0, but I
believe it will be available real soon, at least in Japan.  This is
because the new system is required for their new NTX-J which they will
start shipping from February 15th.

KAMIYA Fumiaki
Dept of Math, Waseda U, JAPAN

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/09/89)

aida@porthos.csl.sri.com(Hitoshi Aida) writes in comp.sys.mac

>In article <46100279@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>Remember that the Script Interface systems do NO require the WHOLE system
>>to run, they only need the INIT (which sets everything up) and a bunch of
>>resources (FONTs, itlx, etc.) that set up the info about the particular
>>interface (and in the case of Kanji, the dictionary file).  Armed with the
>>Script Manager Development kit and a GOOD IDEA of how to use ResEdit you can
>>simply move the resources into your own US System and WOW! you've got USSystem
>>x.x that now also has the international stuff...
>
>But the problem is that the system software newer than 6.0 seems to have
>a different version of Script Manager (different magic number, itl4
>resources etc.) and KanjiTalk refuses to run on such systems....

	Well I can not vouch for Kanji, but I currently have the Hebrew and Arabic
Interfaces currenly running 'inside' of my System 6.0.3...

sn0v+@andrew.cmu.edu (Shoichi Nakai) (02/09/89)

> Does anyone a tentative release date for a newer version of KT?

Due this March according to my colleague in Japan.

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/11/89)

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu(Robert Rubinoff) writes in comp.sys.mac

>In article <46100280@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>	Well I can not vouch for Kanji, but I currently have the Hebrew and Arabic
>>Interfaces currenly running 'inside' of my System 6.0.3...
>
>Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the Hebrew system?  It's not listed
>in the APDA catalog, as far as I can tell.

	As far as I know the only three ways to acquire the Hebrew system are:
1) Go to Israel and visit an Apple Dealer there...
2) Be a Developer and bug Apple...
3) Have connections :-)

	This is a general problem.  Apple has decided that there is no need for
distribution of non-US systems in the U.S. since we all know that people in
the U.S. ONLY work in English, right?!?!  The only reason that you can get some
from APDA is that there need to be some available for developers to test with
for compatibility.
	We have had this debate around here before, but if you agree with me that
Apple should allow distribution of non-US systems in the U.S. send mail to
Jordan@Apple.com as he loves mail and will forwared them to the proper parties.

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (02/13/89)

In article <UXtlO5y00WB5I1WoVl@andrew.cmu.edu> aa0s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adel Talaat Assaad) writes:

>I bought the Script Manager Developer's Package a LOOONG time ago,
>(that was version 1.0). This package included among other things the
>KanjiTalk 1.1 and the Arabic Interface System 1.1, plus some notes on
>compatiblity, testing, release notes, etc..
>The Arabic package, incidentally, works VERY marginally on my MacII, and
>that's being polite, considering it has the old control panels and
>all sorts of dinosaurish features.

For what it's worth, I just recently purchased the same package. No doubt
about it, it hasn't changed. The Kanji version can be made to work marginally
on a Mac II, when in one-bit mode. But since it's based on System 3.x, I
wouldn't really trust it. (Mac II requires System 4.1 or later, I believe.)

>I do think, however, that there isn't yet a MacSE/II-compatible version.
>Does anyone know better?

I have exchanged notes with some folks at Apple on this subject. Apparently,
there IS a Mac II compatible version in use in Japan. Apple's Evangelism is
surprised that APDA is still selling such old stuff. Apple's APDA has not yet
replied to my queries.

I, too, am looking for an updated version. It is rumored that a version based
on System 6.0 will be available soon.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM