[comp.sys.mac] Apple Partner status is STILL a bargain

ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) (02/08/89)

Well, I just got my "Goodbye Certified Developer, Hello Apple Partner" mailing
from Apple.  After a moderately careful reading, it is my considered opinion
that a number of folks on this net have shot from the hip -- and may be
missing a toe or two.

First, money alone is not enough (it never was): you have to have a product
in production or in development.  Apple want a copy of the former or the
plans and schedules for the latter.

Second, contract programmers are eligible.  Various folks have complained
about being excluded in the past; for whatever reason, I'd suggest they
try again if still interested.

Finally, the $600 annual fee includes
	+ APDA membership, ($20/year otherwise)
	- Technotes, ($25)
	- System software updates ($100 nominally, but you also get the
	  release notes, so you know WHAT got fixed)
	+ AppleLink account and minimum charges ($300)
	- various marketing materials ($0 for techies?)
	- invite to the Spring Developer's Conference (I like this)
	- Access to MacDTS (via AppleLink) (I like this, too)

(The + is stuff that used to be unbundled from CD status, i.e. I had to pay
for it separately anyway).

In short, about 75% of the fee is stuff you wanted anyway, plus whatever use
you want to make of MacDTS.  If you buy ANYTHING through the program you will,
of course, recoup the rest of the fee...

So I fail to see the problem for "the little guy," at least with the $600.
If you have a problem with item one, you never had CD status in the first
place: Apple want PRODUCTS developed, and telling them what you have done
or are doing should not be a barrier for a professional, large or small.

Yes, I'm going to re-up.  It's still a bargain, even for a "little guy."

=Ned Horvath=

topping@laurel.cis.ohio-state.edu (brian e. topping) (02/09/89)

Well Ned, I really feel good now that I know someone out there can speak for
me without me even posting!  As a "little guy", I really enjoy the thought
of spending four (yes, FOUR) months of rent on something that I really could
use now.  Again, thanks.

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (02/09/89)

In article <34310@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, topping@laurel.cis.ohio-state.edu (brian e. topping) writes:
> Well Ned, I really feel good now that I know someone out there can speak for
> me without me even posting!  As a "little guy", I really enjoy the thought
> of spending four (yes, FOUR) months of rent on something that I really could
	      ===        ====  ==============

God help us if Apple raises its rates so this holds true for Californians.
I'd hate to see Apple Partner fees of $3000...  :-)

As far as the original posting goes, where do you get a cost of $100 for
system software upgrades?  Last time I checked I could still walk into my
Apple dealer with four blank disks and get the latest at no charge...

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (02/11/89)

In article <2576@pegasus.ATT.COM> ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:
>Well, I just got my "Goodbye Certified Developer, Hello Apple Partner" mailing
>from Apple. ...
>
>Finally, the $600 annual fee includes
>	+ AppleLink account and minimum charges ($300)

Now, do you REALLY want to pay that $300 for Applelink? What good is
it? Especially if you have USENET news and mail access? If you are a
one-man shop and worried about $600 then it seems like applelink would
just be a pointless waste of money.

				Peter Desnoyers

These are my opinions only. My employer obviously finds Applelink more
valuable than I do.

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (02/11/89)

> Now, do you REALLY want to pay that $300 for Applelink? What good is
> it? Especially if you have USENET news and mail access? If you are a
> one-man shop and worried about $600 then it seems like applelink would
> just be a pointless waste of money.

> 				Peter Desnoyers

Yes, I really do want to pay $300 for AppleLink. I almost never used it for
mail, however. What I did use it for was getting the most recent versions of:

	o Apple programs (ResEdit, MacsBug, Virus Rx)
	o Tech Notes
	o MPW interfaces
	o Documentation (Sound Manager chapter, Script Manager, etc)
	o Sample programs

I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten about. Half this stuff ain't
on UseNet, the other half is way behind the times. No fault of usenet,
obviously, that's just life. Matter of fact, AppleLink is one of the few
things I miss from my old job.

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (02/13/89)

In article <25605@apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>In article <2576@pegasus.ATT.COM> ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:
>>Well, I just got my "Goodbye Certified Developer, Hello Apple Partner" mailing
>>from Apple. ...
>>
>>Finally, the $600 annual fee includes
>>	+ AppleLink account and minimum charges ($300)
>
>Now, do you REALLY want to pay that $300 for Applelink? What good is
>it? Especially if you have USENET news and mail access? If you are a
>one-man shop and worried about $600 then it seems like applelink would
>just be a pointless waste of money.

    Agreed.   The only time I use apple link is to download the
    latest prices.  And for that I could call up Apple.  Also,
    last I saw, there was a gateway for UUCP <=> AppleLink.
    I've sent a couple of message from my FidoNet BBS via UUCP
    to AppleLink, and have receive messages back...

    For info you may want to contact fair@apple.

	       Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

In article <10330133@accuvax.nwu.edu> bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) writes:
>> Now, do you REALLY want to pay that $300 for Applelink? What good is
>> it? Especially if you have USENET news and mail access? If you are a
>> one-man shop and worried about $600 then it seems like applelink would
>> just be a pointless waste of money.
>
>> 				Peter Desnoyers
>
>Yes, I really do want to pay $300 for AppleLink. I almost never used it for
>mail, however. What I did use it for was getting the most recent versions of:
>
>	o Apple programs (ResEdit, MacsBug, Virus Rx)
>	o Tech Notes
>	o MPW interfaces
>	o Documentation (Sound Manager chapter, Script Manager, etc)
>	o Sample programs

      And all of this stuff come to me via mail ussually the
      same time it is released on Apple Link.  I do have to say
      getting a disk in the mail is more convenent that having
      to download it via AppleLink.

		Tim

--

fred@howtek.UUCP (Fred Giuffrida) (02/14/89)

In article <25605@apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>In article <2576@pegasus.ATT.COM> ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:
>>Well, I just got my "Goodbye Certified Developer, Hello Apple Partner" mailing
>>from Apple. ...
>>
>>Finally, the $600 annual fee includes
>>	+ AppleLink account and minimum charges ($300)
>
>Now, do you REALLY want to pay that $300 for Applelink? What good is
>it? Especially if you have USENET news and mail access? If you are a
>one-man shop and worried about $600 then it seems like applelink would
>just be a pointless waste of money.
>
>				Peter Desnoyers
>
>These are my opinions only. My employer obviously finds Applelink more
>valuable than I do.

This is a serious note about why it is important for developers to get on
Applelink.  That is my way of saying that I don't post here very often so
don't flame me to a crisp if this posting comes out bizarre.

There are some very good reasons for getting on Applelink.  It is, as its
name implies, the only direct link between Apple and you.  Apple does,
contrary to popular belief, send information directly to developers on
issues which they feel you may be concerned with.  They do that via
Applelink.

If you care, Applelink is also the only official means of contacting Apple
Developer Tech Support.

If you can afford to get information a couple of weeks after the rest of
the world Applelink is not for you. It's the first place to find stuff like
tech notes, developer tools, product announcements, price changes, new
system software, etc., etc.

It also gives you a quick way to email anyone at Apple and most of the
Apple developers out there.

I have no connection with Apple and don't want to sound like an ad for
Applelink, but I feel you shouldn't discount it totally.  I find it a
useful tool and end up dialing in there about once a day.

- Fred Giuffrida
Macintosh Project Mgr.
Howtek, Inc.

Disclaimer:  I have my opinions. Howtek has it's opinions.  Any connection
between the former and the latter is in your imagination.

--
-Fred.