[comp.sys.mac] Summary: Request for future owner info

crewman@bucsb.UUCP (JJS) (02/11/89)

Hello all...

I would like to thank all who responded to my request for information
about the Mac Plus vs. Mac SE.  These are the results:

		50% : "Go for the SE"
		40% : "Go for the Plus and save $$"
		 5% : "Save up for the SE/30" (This is unthinkable)
		 5% : "Stay with the Atari ST" (Too late)

Well, I'm still torn between the SE and the Plus.  Question: are there
products available for the Plus, such as expansion chassis, which allow
the Plus to use SE-type accelerator boards?  Please help.

		-- JJS

pkahn@meridian.ads.com (Phil Kahn) (02/11/89)

In article <2351@bucsb.UUCP> crewman@bucsb.bu.edu writes:
>I would like to thank all who responded to my request for information
>about the Mac Plus vs. Mac SE.  These are the results:
>
>		50% : "Go for the SE"
>		40% : "Go for the Plus and save $$"
>		 5% : "Save up for the SE/30" (This is unthinkable)
>		 5% : "Stay with the Atari ST" (Too late)
>
>Well, I'm still torn between the SE and the Plus.  Question: are there
					     ^^^^

Frankly, I think anyone who buys a Plus now is nuts.  Eventually, the
MacOS will be  endowed with virtual memory.  The 68000-based Plus
can't do it.  Maybe contorted upgrade packages will become available,
but then again, maybe the Plus will just die.  Willing to take that
chance? Hell, wait a few months.  Pluses will be cheap on the
secondary market then.

I have a MacII, and I'm even concerned about impending obsolescence of
the 68020.  God forbid I should have a 68000.

Just remember though, opinions are like assholes.  Everyone has one.

	phil...

jcocon@hubcap.UUCP (james c oconnor) (02/12/89)

From article <2351@bucsb.UUCP>, by crewman@bucsb.UUCP (JJS):
> Well, I'm still torn between the SE and the Plus.  Question: are there
> products available for the Plus, such as expansion chassis, which allow
> the Plus to use SE-type accelerator boards?  Please help.
>
> 		-- JJS
Both the Novy and Gemini boards (Novy - 16 & 25MHz 68020/68881, Gemini -
	16 MHz 68020/68881, 16 & 20 MHz 68030/6882)
will fit in either machine.  I have a Novy board and am very pleased.  I have
sold a 20 MHz 68030 board with 4 Meg to a friend and he is very pleased.

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (02/14/89)

Gee, I think anyone who would spend the money for an SE at this time must
not be interested in bang for the $$.

I would recommend a used Mac+ with an additional purchase of 2megs RAM,
120 nano second or preferably faster. Clip one side of the 150 ohm
resister, & save the old SIMMS. This would be a minimum expenditure
buy-in that would give you essentually the performance of a 2.5 Meg SE
for a fraction of the price. Granted the SCSI interface is faster on an SE.

I would put the extra money in a savings account & add to it over time.
Then, whenever you have the money saved, assuming of course that you do
need something more powerful, buy the latest 030, 040, or RISC Mac.

You could then move your RAM to the new machine and sell your once again
1 MEG Mac+, for additional RAM or whatever.

I would NOT spend anymore then I had to to get into a 6800 machine &
I wouldn't at this time bother with a 68020 machine.

There are LOTS of Mac+'s & SE's out there & there will be lots of software
being developed of them in the future. A Plus will run anything a SE will.

Sorry, but I do not think a SE that runs 15% faster  is a better deal then
a Plus which is ever so much cheaper. Esp. since Apple is so obviously
moving its line over to the 68030 & probably going to maintain the 6800
machines as entry level Macs.

TeriAnn {happy Plus owner}

fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (02/14/89)

in article <6870@zodiac.UUCP>, pkahn@meridian.ads.com (Phil Kahn) says:

> In article <2351@bucsb.UUCP> crewman@bucsb.bu.edu writes:
>>
>>Well, I'm still torn between the SE and the Plus.  Question: are there
> 					     ^^^^
>
> Frankly, I think anyone who buys a Plus now is nuts.  Eventually, the
> MacOS will be  endowed with virtual memory.  The 68000-based Plus

The comparison here was between an SE and a Plus. These machines BOTH
have the 68000, and basically pretty much the same architecture.
(The SE has a "slot" and ADB, and a little bit better video circuitry)

Although the SE does have greater expansion possibilities, there ARE a
number of accelerator boards for the Plus.

--
Frank Owen (fjo@ttrdf)  312-982-2182
AT&T Bell Laboratories