[comp.sys.mac] Disabling LocalTalk

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/14/89)

I use a modem plugged into my printer port for both normal
serial communications as well as for LocalTalk.  Unfortunately,
many of the serial communcations packages complain or crash
if I run them without disabling LocalTalk from the chooser.

My question is, is it possible to place a few lines of code
with ResEdit into the CODE 0 resource of my terminal programs
to turn off LocalTalk so that I won't have this program?

Thanks in advance --

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, Architect) (02/14/89)

<12202@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:

>My question is, is it possible to place a few lines of code
>with ResEdit into the CODE 0 resource of my terminal programs
>to turn off LocalTalk so that I won't have this program?

Turning off LocalTalk is very ill-mannered.  Other processes that are using
the AppleTalk protocol stack will be upset and extremely unhappy.  To wit:
(IM II-275) "Since other co-resident origrans may be using AppleTalk, it's
strongly recommended that you never use this call.  MPPClose will completely
disable AppleTalk; the only way to restore AppleTalk is to call MPPOpen again"

To detect if the printer port is available, try opening the serial driver
for port B.  If portInUse is returned, then port B is in use by someone
other than the standard serial driver.
| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, Communications Architect      Almost alpha now.
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y                 Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                      UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
ATTnet: 408-974-6450   Applelink: HAN1   CompuServe: 72167,1664