[comp.sys.mac] WriteNow 2.0 Problem finding Application

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (02/07/89)

In article <987@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> ah2@stl.stc.co.uk (Amos Hornsby) writes:
#>I have just taken delivery of my update to version 2.0 of WriteNow.
#>Unfortunately there seems to be a big problem. We are running AUFS (AppleTalk
#>to UNIX File Server) under CAP on a Sun 3/260 as our file server
#>WriteNow 2.0 will not open its own documents if they are on the
#>server. On selecting a document to open and clicking open we get the
#>error message:

This isn't exactly the same problem, however, I note that
WriteNow 2.0 (I didn't use WriteNow as much before 2.0 so
I'm not sure if it was true then) often has problems finding
the WriteNow application when you click on WriteNow files
in other folders than the one in which the application resides.
I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the System (6.0.2 on
my Mac II) or with WriteNow itself.

For example, I keep a WriteNow shell in my VersaTerm folder as I
find WriteNow is easier to use to format and print downloaded text
files than is MacWrite, which is the default. Sometimes, that
shell opens with no problems. At other times, the system is
unable to find the application, and I have to go to another
folder and open and close another WriteNow file. Sometimes, with
two WriteNow documents in the same folder, one will launch the
application and another won't.

Has anyone else had this experience and is there a solution?

Steve Goldfield

rap@csadfa.oz (Robert Pearson) (02/09/89)

From article <20018@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield):
> I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the System (6.0.2 on
> my Mac II) or with WriteNow itself.
>

> Has anyone else had this experience and is there a solution?
>
> Steve Goldfield

	I suspect that there may be a problem with some of the
desktop files. I have had similar experiances undermultifinder
but not if I use finder alone.
	I think that adding removing applications under multifinder
could be causing the problem.
	 I would suggest rebuilding the desktop under Finder
and under Multifinder, perhaps with the Desktop manager removed
At the first rebuild.
  Robert Pearson
rap@csadfa.oz

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (02/14/89)

In article <1798@csadfa.oz> rap@csadfa.oz (Robert Pearson) writes:
#>From article <20018@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield):
#>> I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the System (6.0.2 on
#>> my Mac II) or with WriteNow itself.
#>>
#>>
#>> Has anyone else had this experience and is there a solution?
#>>
#>> Steve Goldfield
#>
#>	I suspect that there may be a problem with some of the
#>desktop files. I have had similar experiances undermultifinder
#>but not if I use finder alone.
#>	I think that adding removing applications under multifinder
#>could be causing the problem.
#>	 I would suggest rebuilding the desktop under Finder
#>and under Multifinder, perhaps with the Desktop manager removed
#>At the first rebuild.
#>  Robert Pearson
#>rap@csadfa.oz
#>D

I phoned T/Maker about this; they suggested I build my desktop,
which I did under Multifinder. I still have the problem. I'll
try doing it also under Finder. The strange thing is that I only
see it for WriteNow 2.0 files and that it is intermittent.
Sometimes a given file will launch and then later it won't.

(later than above) I found that a file which would not launch
under Multifinder did so under Finder. I rebuilt the desktop as
suggested above under Finder. Now the file does launch under
Multifinder, at least for now.

This experience reminds me of going to a dark funhouse at a
bazaar when I was a kid and sticking my hand into a bucket, not
knowing what was inside. Does anyone really understand
Multifinder and why it does what it does (or doesn't do what it
doesn't do?)? Incidentally, I couldn't find anything about
rebuiding the desktop in my Mac II manual. Is it documented
anywhere accessible?

Steve Goldfield

cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) (02/14/89)

I've been using WriteNow ever since it came out, and it has always
had the intermittent "Application missing (-37)" problem.
WN 1.00 did it, 1.07 does it, and (though I had hoped for a fix)
2.00 does it.  No amount of rebuilding of desktops and such has ever
made any difference, and no other application I own ever exhibits this
behavior, MultiFinder or not.

Conclusion: It's a WriteNow problem, it's a longstanding WriteNow
problem, and they should have fixed it long ago.

It's still my favorite formatting system.

Jim

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (02/14/89)

In article <156@qusunitf.queensu.CA> cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) writes:
|I've been using WriteNow ever since it came out, and it has always
|had the intermittent "Application missing (-37)" problem.

Microsoft Excel does this intermittently (only under MultiFinder, as
far as I know, though) when I try to start it up using a Resume file.
Trying again has always worked, except on one occasion.  Excel is the
only application I use which exhibits this behavior.

|Conclusion: It's a WriteNow problem, . . .

Maybe.

	/JBL
=
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (02/15/89)

In article <156@qusunitf.queensu.CA> cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) writes:
#>
#>I've been using WriteNow ever since it came out, and it has always
#>had the intermittent "Application missing (-37)" problem.
#>WN 1.00 did it, 1.07 does it, and (though I had hoped for a fix)
#>2.00 does it.  No amount of rebuilding of desktops and such has ever
#>made any difference, and no other application I own ever exhibits this
#>behavior, MultiFinder or not.
#>
#>Conclusion: It's a WriteNow problem, it's a longstanding WriteNow
#>problem, and they should have fixed it long ago.
#>
#>It's still my favorite formatting system.
#>
#>Jim

Until yesterday I might have agreed (although after posting this
problem I received mail from people who have had the problem with
other applications). However, I now have two contrary bits of
experience. First, I found that the files which would not launch
in Multifinder would launch in Finder. Second, I found that when
I rebuilt my desktop in Finder (after using the correct command
of command-option restart; apparently this does not work in
Multifinder, i.e., nothing happened. I sure wish Apple had
documented rebuilding the desktop somewhere where I could find
it), I find that the files I was having difficulties with now
launch WriteNow with no problem.

The first datum is strong evidence that WriteNow is not at fault.
You don't say if you have tried launching from Finder. (Also, I
note that your error message is different from mine which didn't
say application missing but only said unable to launch
application; unfortunately I didn't write it down.)

Steve Goldfield