[comp.sys.mac] You Have *My Word* On It

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/14/89)

From the 2/14/89 issue of MacWeek:

    [Bill Gates says that] Word 4.0 will ship "very, very soon and is
    GUARANTEED TO BE COMPLETELY BUG-FREE."  {My caps}

Well.  That'll be a first.

For the human race.

                           "Once the number three, being the third number, be
                            reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of
                            Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naught in my
                            sight, shall snuff it."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

>    [Bill Gates says that] Word 4.0 will ship "very, very soon and is
>    GUARANTEED TO BE COMPLETELY BUG-FREE."  {My caps}
>
>Well.  That'll be a first.

Well, from where I stand, it may not be bug-free, but it'll come pretty darn
close. They're spending a *lot* of money shipping out new beta releases
(overnight express) to all their beta sites. Lots of new beta releases. Each
one closer and closer to bug-free (as far as I can tell, the only bugs left
are ones I'd declare 'obscure'). I've been beating on it for a while in
Beta, and the worst I could do to it was get it to glitch the screen
updating under really obscure conditions. I'm *trying* to crash it, too.
Honest.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Signature quotes? We don't need no stinkin' signature quotes!

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/15/89)

In article <6947@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>From the 2/14/89 issue of MacWeek:
>
>    [Bill Gates says that] Word 4.0 will ship "very, very soon and is
>    GUARANTEED TO BE COMPLETELY BUG-FREE."  {My caps}
>
>Well.  That'll be a first.

*sigh*  I really hope someone wasn't stupid enough to say that.
Let's face it, you'd be hard-pressed to think of any software
package out today that has no bugs (or didn't at the initial
release).  Word 4.0 has added a lot of stuff and there's
definitely still bugs lingering around...  And they won't
find them all til the users do.

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.