[comp.sys.mac] graphical pipes

sarrel@coracle.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (02/10/89)

One of the things that I like about UNIX that isn't on the Mac is the
ability to use pipes.  Does anyone know if Apple has any plans to
create a graphical pipe system for the Mac?  I envision something
along the following lines:

	1)  It works from within the finder.
	2)  A window pops up and you are able to construct, by
	    clicking and dragging icons, a graphical representation
	    of a pipe.  If anyone remembers the graphical, iconic,
	    programming language used in ChipWits, this is the sort
	    of thing I have in mind.
	3)  Each icon would accept at least one input (maybe more) and
	    would have at least one output.
	4)  There is no reason that the files being passed through the
	    pipe have to be restricted to text files.  Other standard
	    mac files might be used, such as PICT.  A file might read
	    in a text file and output a PICT.
	5)  Double clicking on an icon would bring up a dialog box
	    that would serve the same function as setting flags.
	6)  Standard applications could be extended to work in "pipe
	    mode" so they don't have to start up their full-blown
	    interactive versions.  Of course, it doesn't make sense for
	    all applications to have a pipe mode.  But certain ones,
	    like image processing might benefit.
	7)  There might also be certain applications that run, gasp,
	    only in pipe mode.
	8)  Apple would have to approve the idea and define the way
	    that files in the pipe would be passed from application to
	    application.
	9)  This idea does not require multiprocessing in the UNIX
	    sense, but probably would require multifinder.  But, memory
	    could be conserved in two ways.  Presumably the "pipe mode"
	    version of the program would be smaller and the applications
	    could be run sequentially, rather than concurrently.

Well, what do you think?  This is just pure wishful thinking on my
part.  Does it go against the grain of the Macintosh Philosophy?  Does
it really rub people the wrong way (like scratchin a chalkboard)?

Any discussion will certainly be of interest. :-)
-=-
 Marc Sarrel          sarrel@cis.ohio-state.edu | "Language is a virus from
 Department of Computer and Information Science |  outer space. And, it's
 The Ohio State University                      |  better to hear your name
 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH USA 43210-1277    |  than see your face."

sg04@bunny.UUCP (Steven Gutfreund) (02/14/89)

Now that I think about it, the NEXT's Interface Builder is bascially
what you are looking for; although it is not exactly a visual
version of unix pipes - it provides the basic functionality you
are asking for.

Yechezkal Shimon (Steven) Gutfreund		       sgutfreund@bunny.UUCP
GTE Laboratories, Waltham MA			          sgutfreund@gte.com

pepke@loligo.uucp (Eric Pepke) (02/15/89)

In article <SARREL.89Feb9190611@coracle.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@coracle.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) writes:
>One of the things that I like about UNIX that isn't on the Mac is the
>ability to use pipes.  Does anyone know if Apple has any plans to
>create a graphical pipe system for the Mac?  I envision something
>along the following lines:

Yes!  Such a thing is desperately needed!

I use MPW from time to time, and I can't stand the shell.  A graphical
piping system which inherently included a makefile capability would
allow me to throw the shell away.  I would even accept severe limitations
on the power of expression one gets in the shell if it meant that I could
work with compilers and linkers graphically, because I believe that if
one is writing a program with a visual user interface one should deal
with visual interfaces as much as possible.

I am working on such a graphical replacement for the MPW shell right now,
but it will be of limited utility as long as it is not linked to MultiFinder
and does not have hooks to the desktop.  As Apple have threatened to take
away the existing facilities for doing such things, and as they have
made good of such threats in the past, these modifications should come
from inside Apple to maintain compatibility, or Apple should provide a
much better set of tools for dealing with the Finder.

For an early version of the graphical pipe ideas, see "A Data-flow
Manager for Interactive Graphics" by Paul Haeberli of Silicon Graphics,
published in _IRIS_Universe_, Fall 1987.

Eric Pepke                           pepke%fsu.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa
Supercomputer Computations           pepke%scri.hepnet@lbl-csa2.arpa
   Research Institute                pepke%fsu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Florida State University             "It happens sometimes.  People just
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052            explode.  Natural causes."
        (904) 644-2276
Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.