[comp.sys.mac] Applelink path to uucp?

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (02/11/89)

Can anyone tell me the path for somebody using Applelink to send a
message or file to a uucp site?  Several people have asked me this in
the last month and I have been unable to find out.  Thanks,

-------------------
Simon Tortike, Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineering,
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.
               simon@alberta.uucp || Tel. +1 403 492-3338

cs132087@ (Jeff Baum) (02/15/89)

In article <2041@pembina.UUCP> simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) writes:
>Can anyone tell me the path for somebody using Applelink to send a
>message or file to a uucp site?  Several people have asked me this in
>the last month and I have been unable to find out.  Thanks,

Does that mean that the opposite is true?  Can we send mail to AppleLink
from a UUCP site?  If so, how?

Jeff Baum
cs132087@cs.brown.edu

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (02/15/89)

In article <227@brunix.UUCP>, cs132087@ (Jeff Baum) writes:
> In article <2041@pembina.UUCP> simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) writes:
> >Can anyone tell me the path for somebody using Applelink to send a
> >message or file to a uucp site?  Several people have asked me this in
> >the last month and I have been unable to find out.  Thanks,
>

> Does that mean that the opposite is true?  Can we send mail to AppleLink
> from a UUCP site?  If so, how?
>
> Jeff Baum
> cs132087@cs.brown.edu

Yes, you can send mail from a UUCP site to AppleLink.  The address is as
follows:

USER@applelink.apple.com

assuming that you have an intelligent (somewhat) mailer.  Here is a message
that I sent from myself (on UUCP) to myself (on AppleLink):

==========================
From ST0374@applelink.apple.com Mon Feb 13 15:57:15 1989
From: ST0374@applelink.apple.com
Date: 13 Feb 89 11:44:00 PDT
To: bsu-cs!mithomas@apple.com
Subject: Response to message from UUCP

This is the reply to a message that I sent to myself from UUCP to AppleLink.
The text of the original message follows:

------------
Item    1131337                         13-Feb-89        02:29

From:   DASNET#                         DASNET, Anna Lange

To:     ST0374                          Ball State U, Michael Niehaus

Sub: Testing the UUCP/Bitnet/Apple

TO ANSWER, in "Send To" field enter:  mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP@DASNET#

This is a test to myself on AppleLink...

-------------

Michael Niehaus
AppleLink: ST0374

=END=

============================

This should answer your question.  You can send messages both ways
(although I have had typical UUCP addressing problems trying to reply
to simon@alberta from AppleLink -- the message gets bounced back to me),
although the only types of files you could send would be pure text.

I hope this answers everyone's questions.  File this message away and
forward it to the next person that asks about this.  I'm sure they will
appreciate it.

Michael Niehaus
Apple Student Rep
Ball State University
UUCP: ..!{pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas
AppleLink: ST0374

p.s.  Disclaimer?  Do you think that Apple would actually let me speak for them?