[comp.sys.mac] More SE/30 Queries: RAM jumpers, SANE escapes, MacWorld article

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/10/89)

Just finished the MacWorld article on the SE/30, which answered quite a few
questions.  However, one or two remain...

1)  I've heard rumors that, instead of having to jumper or cut resistors to
    indicate how much memory is in the SE/30 (like the Plus and the SE),
    that there are movable jumpers, so you're not having to go in with wire
    cutters and/or a soldering iron to change the memory configuration.
    Someone want to throw cold water on that?

    PS  Since the 8 RAM SIMM banks need to be filled with groups of four,
        any reason why a 5 Meg configuration (4 1Meg SIMMs, 4 245K SIMMs)
        wouldn't be legit?

2)  In an article discussing the Mac II's "aging", a new columnist for
    MacWorld mentions that programs like Excel rarely use the floating point
    co-processor that comes with the Mac II, because the SANE code doesn't
    call the FP processor as often as it should.  He points out that Radius
    has an INIT called Radius SANE which patches the SANE code in the Apple
    ROMs to use the FP processor more often.  First, does this problem still
    exist in the Mac SE/30's SANE code, and if so, will the Radius SANE INIT
    work on the SE/30?

----

I must add that, outside of David Bunnell's confused ramblings, MACWORLD has
been getting nothing but better in my book.  With columnists like Steve Levy
and Jerry Borrell as editor, it's nice to read a national Mac publication
that has some sensible (and sometimes even original, in the case of Levy) to
say about the Mac and its community.

                            MONDO VIDEO with Prof. Fred Hopkins:
                               "PHANTASM II (MCA).  To make up for featuring
                                The Tall Man (Angus Scrimm) for about ten
                                minutes, this languid sequel spotlights some
                                fairly graphic nudity.  Problem is you're
                                never really sure if the androgynous actor
                                in question is a man or a woman, and that
                                takes a lot of the fun out of it."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark Johnson) (02/11/89)

In article <6913@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>1)  I've heard rumors that, instead of having to jumper or cut resistors to
>    indicate how much memory is in the SE/30 (like the Plus and the SE),
>    that there are movable jumpers, so you're not having to go in with wire
>
>d   PS  Since the 8 RAM SIMM banks need to be filled with groups of four,
>        any reason why a 5 Meg configuration (4 1Meg SIMMs, 4 245K SIMMs)
>        wouldn't be legit?

WRONG.  The SE/30 uses the same memory configurations as the Mac II and IIx.
There are NO jumpers or resistors to cut.  The confusion is due to the fact
that we revised the SE motherboard from resistors to a jumper.  See Technical
Note #176 (February 1989) for an update which covers all standard memory
configurations for the Macintosh family.
PS - The 5 MB configuration is legit ... just like with a Mac II.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (02/14/89)

In article <6913@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>    ROMs to use the FP processor more often.  First, does this problem still
>    exist in the Mac SE/30's SANE code, and if so, will the Radius SANE INIT
>    work on the SE/30?

Is this INIT a commercial product, a bundle, a freebie or... What I'm trying
to say is, "How do I get a copy?"

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (02/15/89)

The SE/30 is an exact clone of the IIx in this (and almost all other) respects.
That means 5MB is fine, and that there are NO JUMPERS OR RESISTORS to screw
around with. As soon as you put in the RAM, it works. Much nicer than the SE
or the Plus...

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp