[comp.sys.mac] cheap good printers - grappler LS and DeskJet

paulo@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Paulo L de Geus) (02/15/89)

    From: pv9y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
    Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
    Subject: cheap good printers
    Date: 9 Feb 89 00:05:44 GMT

    Drivers: There are two major ones,  the Printer  Interface III from DataPak
    and the Grappler LQ from Orange Micro.  I tested both.  The speed is almost

I see from your posting that you did not have the right thing to test.  The
Grappler to use is "Grappler  LS", which is not  a  hardware  piece, only a
software driver with a normal serial cable (DB-25).

I understand that the Grappler LQ works at 216  dpi  (3x font sizes) and is
aimed at 24 pin  printers, whereas the Grappler LS  works with  the DeskJet
and HP LaserJet compatible printers.

With the Grappler LS output is outstanding at full 300 dpi (4x font sizes),
a normal  A4 page  full  of text  at 12 point  generated  by Microsoft Word
prints in 6.5 minutes, including 30 seconds for the mac II  to generate the
bitmap, for the download to start and for the printer  to arm  the sheet of
paper in place.

I had a problem for some time, the first page(s) printed in a session would
render useless due to garbage appearing after a few lines.  I finally found
out that the problem was due to incompatibilities among the fonts installed
in  my  system.  Font Harmonize  (or  something   like that) provided  with
Suitcase was enough to get rid of the garbage printing problem.

I'm using  Suitcase II  1.2.2, and have  a huge list  of  fonts  available,
although  only  the  ones  provided  with the   Grappler   LS print at full
resolution.   They are Courier,  "Dutch" and "Swiss" at  up to 72 pt, which
means that the largest font at 300 dpi you can print is 18 pt.  By the same
logic, the largest possible font at  300 dpi  is 31  pt (31*4=124, close to
the maximum allowed by the system, which I believe is 127 pt).

MacDraw, Excel  and Word work OK,  but I've only  had  more experience with
Excel.   Very occasionally  it prints a  leftover of a character previously
deleted from a  cell, close to the  last   character of the  new string you
typed in place (using 33% reduction  in the page  setup).  Don't know whose
fault it is, grappler's or quickdraw's.

I'm only waiting for a postscript clone or  PD version to be  cloned to the
mac environment  (why is it  that for the  PC  you have  at least  3 clones
already, and none for the mac?).  An alternative  would be  to have outline
fonts implemented in the mac system, I heard it was being done.

Paulo L de Geus			JANET: paulo@uk.ac.man.cs.ux
Dept of Computer Science	Internet: paulo%ux.cs.man.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Univ of Manchester              USENET:...!mcvax!ukc!man.cs.ux!paulo
Manchester M13 9PL  U.K.	BITNET: paulo%uk.ac.man.cs.ux@UKACRL