[comp.sys.mac] init cdev & init

jc@gmdzi.UUCP (Juergen Christoffel) (02/13/89)

Thanks for the init cdev & init. It's great. A postcard will go into
the mail today.

While this cute little init allows me to exclude unwanted inits the
easy way, it does only solve half of the job I would like to be done
(the other part is obviously Apple's job -- someone listening?)

Because of the number of files stored in the system folder (INITs,
CDEVs, a bunch of customization files for variuos APPLs) there's too
much in it. I would like to not just have the blessed folder, but the
blessed tree so that I might put my inits into e.g. "HD:System
Folder:INITs" and my CDEVs into "HD:System Folder:CDEVs" and so on.

Obviously it would be up to me to make sure that there isn't too much
to be searched on startup, but that's no problem, because I keep any
not instantly needed stuff in a top level folder named SystemTools.

	--jc

t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (02/15/89)

In article <977@gmdzi.UUCP> jc@gmdzi.UUCP (Juergen Christoffel) writes:

>Because of the number of files stored in the system folder (INITs,
>CDEVs, a bunch of customization files for variuos APPLs) there's too
>much in it. I would like to not just have the blessed folder, but the
>blessed tree so that I might put my inits into e.g. "HD:System
>Folder:INITs" and my CDEVs into "HD:System Folder:CDEVs" and so on.
>
>	--jc

I SECOND that motion! (for the second time even) I have about 100 files in
the system folder that have to be there. Luckly, I use the MasterJuggler and
that lets me put a lot of files in another folder.

Some kind soul created an INIT called "Ignore-Init" which replaces the standard
INIT 31 (actually renames it "iNIT 31") which allows a quick start when the
option key is held down, or just runs the regular INIT 31. I was browsing the
code for INIT 31 and realized one could probally modify it to look in a
particular folder for other INITs.  The problem is that INIT31 also looks at
RDEV's, CDEV's and perhaps others to run any initialization routines on. That
would perhaps be ok to put all of those kinds of files into one folder, but
then perhaps the Control panel and Chooser wouldn't be able to find their
files when they are run.

Come on Apple, I'm constantly seeing little utilities that ought to be part
of the operating system to begin with, I wouldn't give up the INIT 31 mechanism
but I sure would like to see more of these features built in instead of wasting
my time waiting for them to load on boot up.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

strausd@romana.cs.orst.edu (Douglas E. Strauss) (02/15/89)

In article <1115@wasatch.UUCP> t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>In article <977@gmdzi.UUCP> jc@gmdzi.UUCP (Juergen Christoffel) writes:
>>
>>Because of the number of files stored in the system folder (INITs,
>>CDEVs, a bunch of customization files for variuos APPLs) there's too
>>	--jc
>

>I SECOND that motion! (for the second time even) I have about 100 files in
>the system folder that have to be there. Luckly, I use the MasterJuggler and
>that lets me put a lot of files in another folder.

Third!,  I think it would be nice for somthing like in LS Pascal when it looks
for the runtime files.

	It would be nice to have a folde dedicated to INITs and one Dedicated
to CDEV's where the finder will look into these two folders on startup and
chooses looks into the CDEV folder.

	The finder would have to rember to look in both since some CDEV's are
	INITs too. 8-)

	The only major problem I can forsee is that this amounts to an organizedand neat desktop.  Somthing scares me about people with a desk which isn't a mess.  Apple?

	Doesn't anybody have a way to time algorithms in Pascal?

	Doug Strauss
	strausd@romana.cs.orst.edu

lewis@bevb.bev.lbl.gov (Steve Lewis) (02/16/89)

My thanks also for a great piece of code.  Has anyone figured out how
to make its icon show at "init time"?  The usual addition of ShowInit had
no effect.
	--sl

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (02/16/89)

In article <1115@wasatch.UUCP> t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>Some kind soul created an INIT called "Ignore-Init" which replaces the standard
>INIT 31 (actually renames it "iNIT 31") which allows a quick start when the
>option key is held down, or just runs the regular INIT 31. I was browsing the

Thank you! (It feels nice to be "a kind soul".)

>code for INIT 31 and realized one could probally modify it to look in a
>particular folder for other INITs.  The problem is that INIT31 also looks at
>RDEV's, CDEV's and perhaps others to run any initialization routines on. That
>would perhaps be ok to put all of those kinds of files into one folder, but
>then perhaps the Control panel and Chooser wouldn't be able to find their
>files when they are run.

You might want to do it this way:

Write a normal INIT file that first calls SetVol, then loads and runs
INIT-31 and finally calls SetVol to restore the default directory. It
should work, unless INIT-31 does something besides load the other inits.

This time I don't have the time to write the code, but it shouldn't be
too complicated. You could also solve the whole thing by modifying X-INIT
to call the normal INIT-31 several times with different directories.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |