[comp.sys.mac] SE/30 and monochrome monitors

mcdougal@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (thomas fenger mcdougal) (02/06/89)

Some friends of mine who are looking at buying an SE/30 for
desktop publishing have been told that only 32-bit gray-scale
monitors can be used with it, i.e. 2-bit monochrome won't work.
That struck me as bizarre, since clearly it can drive its own
2-bit screen, but I told them I would ask around.

Thanks for your wisdom.

--Tom McDougal
mcdougal@gargoyle.uchicago.edu
...ihnp4!gargoyle!mcdougal

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (02/06/89)

In article <305@gargoyle.uchicago.edu> mcdougal@gargoyle.uchicago.edu.UUCP (thomas fenger mcdougal) writes:
>Some friends of mine who are looking at buying an SE/30 for
>desktop publishing have been told that only 32-bit gray-scale
>monitors can be used with it, i.e. 2-bit monochrome won't work.
>That struck me as bizarre, since clearly it can drive its own
>2-bit screen, but I told them I would ask around.

First of all the internal is 1-bit (you must be thinking of NeXT :).  Anyway,
SuperMac already has an 8-bit board that will drive the Apple monitors or
their large screen monitors (1024 x 768).  SuperMac and Dove will also come
out with boards specifically for the Apple monitors in the next couple of
months, just to name two vendors.  I wasn't paying attention to monochrome,
but I'm sure that large screen monochrome monitors (and boards) are/will be
available, also.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) (02/09/89)

From article <305@gargoyle.uchicago.edu>, by mcdougal@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (thomas fenger mcdougal):
> Some friends of mine who are looking at buying an SE/30 for
> desktop publishing have been told that only 32-bit gray-scale
> monitors can be used with it, i.e. 2-bit monochrome won't work.
> That struck me as bizarre, since clearly it can drive its own

That IS bizzare, as Mirage has a monochrome system for the SE/30.  The only
other thing I have seen for the SE/30 are the 8 bit systems from SuperMac and
MegaGraphics.

--
        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Silicon Compiler Systems
        uunet!clyde!sdl!bub!lad         |       15 Independence Blvd.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/11/89)

<
<First of all the internal is 1-bit (you must be thinking of NeXT :).  Anyway,
<SuperMac already has an 8-bit board that will drive the Apple monitors or
<their large screen monitors (1024 x 768).  SuperMac and Dove will also come
<out with boards specifically for the Apple monitors in the next couple of
<months, just to name two vendors.  I wasn't paying attention to monochrome,
<but I'm sure that large screen monochrome monitors (and boards) are/will be
<available, also.

From the Jan 17 MacWEEK (prior to the show)

"Announcements of several SE/30-compatible boards are expected at the
show, including:...

"The Big Picture Z21 SE/30 from E-Machines of Beaverton, Ore., a 21-inch
monochrome display system with four configurable resolutions."

Shirley Kehr

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (02/16/89)

Tom,

To my knowledge, no one has announced a 32-bit QuickDraw compatible video card
for the Mac SE/30.

Also, Apple has yet to OFFICIALLY release the 32-bit QuickDraw standard.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian