[comp.sys.mac] SE/30 vs IIx vs IIxc

dr@cs.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz) (02/16/89)

This is a discussion about the SE/30 etc. So if you're not looking for
a new MAC or interested in them, keep going!

Back in the Fall, I was interested in getting a MAC, but, everyone
said,"wait 'til January -- when the SE/030 will come out...."  So I
waited, and now everyone is saying, wait until March -- when the IIcx
[the IIx with three nu-bus slots] comes out."  I'm sure in May (when
they actually are available) people will say, wait until the IIx-II
comes out, with a 33MHz 68030 and static RAM caching system......

Well, at this rate, I'll never get one. :-) So, here's a discussion of
all I've found out about the two machines.

		SE/030				IIcx
Price
Base Model
	Retail   $3499				?
	AUC     $2600-2850	  		?
Street Price:    $~3100				?
System Card: Identical :-)			:-)
Expansion Slot:  Direct Slot			Nu Bus/3 Slots :-)
		3rd party expansion
		slot will be available
		from "Super-Wave"
		Retail Price: >$2000.00
		Will give you 8 nu-bus
		Slots + power supply, etc.
Monitor:      Mac SE Monitor Internal :-(	Nu Bus Monitor Card :-)
	      DIrect Slot Cards
		*Supermac ($$$) color
		*E-Machines
		others? ***
FDHD: BOth        :-)				:-)
Ethernet Board:  Soon to be available 		Available Nu-Bus cards
		 (Kinetics) :-}			:-)
DSP Boards:      Digidesign :-)			Digidesign/and others :-)
AUX:             Runs but not officially        No prob.
		 Supported  :-|			:-)
Transportable:   :-)				:-(

*** Rumor has it that Apple will announce its own large screen
monitors and boards (was that in MacWeek??) in March.  Perhaps a card
for the SE/30.

The bottom line seems to be: portable vs expandable.
However, if the expansion chasis (at discount prices) + SE/30 turns
out to be cheaper than the MAC II jr., would there be any disadvantage
to buying the /30 with chasis?  (I know, what if the chasis doesn't
work...etc.)  In this way, one could purchase the SE/30 --have a
complete system from  "go".  Then, one could buy the expansion chasis,
a nu-bus monitor card and monitor, and have a large screen for home
use.  If future products require a slot, no problem!  Then again, with
the IIcx, one's getting true-blue MAC.    Any ideas?  Should I wait?

Thanks!
Dave

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (02/17/89)

In article <108@cs.columbia.edu> dr@cs.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz) writes:

>a nu-bus monitor card and monitor, and have a large screen for home
>use.  If future products require a slot, no problem!  Then again, with
>the IIcx, one's getting true-blue MAC.    Any ideas?  Should I wait?

In my mind, a "True Blue" Mac is one with an 11 square inch footprint.
Portability, I've found, is one of the most desireable features of a machine
(second only to the user interface). I see my classmates at WPI lugging 80-90
lbs of harware in and out of their dorms during breaks, and I'm glad that I
can put my SE in it's carrying case and tote off all 25 lbs of it in about 5
minutes. I'm glad that Apple is introducing an /30 upgrade, as I will be able
to retain that feature of portability.

Richard G. Brewer

| Richard G. Brewer (TRON)   | Worcester    |       rbrewer@wpi.bitnet |
| WPI Box 149                | Polytechnic  |         tron@wpi.wpi.edu |
| 100 Institute Rd.          | Institute    +--------------------------+
| Worcester, Ma  01609-2280  +--------------+ "Power through better    |
| (508) 792-3231             | VaNdaLs Sack |  design and engineering" |