[comp.sys.mac] Adobe and Apple Screen Fonts

nedludd@ut-emx.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (02/16/89)

I don't have a clue.  I recently downloaded the Adobe Times fonts
from sumex.  I took out the old Times and put in the new Times.
The font looks nicer (especially the italics, which no longer run
into unitalicized words), but it changes the spacing of words in
old files (well, at least one old file, which had bold and italics
in it), both on-screen and printed out, which is unacceptable.

My confusion is this:  since both of these are screen fonts for
Times, shouldn't they space the words identically?  I mean, screen
fonts are approximations of printer fonts and shouldn't dictate
what prints out, right?  But, using the Apple screen font gives me
one thing on the screen (and on paper), while the Adobe font gives
me something else on the screen (and something else on paper).

Someone told me that the Apple Times screen font was screwed up and
didn't approximate laser output correctly (that's what the Adobe font
was for, to correct this), but I don't believe this, having never had
anything print out incorrectly with the old screen font.

Another question:  assuming that this inconsistency between screen
fonts is here to stay, is there a way to have both screen fonts
accessible at the same time (I guess by somehow renaming one of
them)?  I realize this is probably impossible, because both screen
fonts tie into to the same printer font.  Now what I do is keep
both fonts in Suitcase and open and close one or the other
depending on which one I need.  But this is a pain.

Thanks for any answers you may have.

cheers, from
charles s. geiger, esq.

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/17/89)

In article <10532@ut-emx.UUCP> nedludd@ut-emx.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) writes:
>The font looks nicer (especially the italics, which no longer run
>into unitalicized words), but it changes the spacing of words in
>old files (well, at least one old file, which had bold and italics
>in it), both on-screen and printed out, which is unacceptable.
>
>My confusion is this:  since both of these are screen fonts for
>Times, shouldn't they space the words identically?  I mean, screen
>fonts are approximations of printer fonts and shouldn't dictate
>what prints out, right?

Wrong.  Welcome to the wonderful world of pseudo-postscript.
The LaserWriter is postscript, but the Macintosh is not.  What
the Mac sends to the LaserWriter is strictly dependent on which
screen fonts you have installed.  The Adobe FONDs are slightly
different than the Apple screen fonts.  This causes the spacing
to change on old documents.

>Another question:  assuming that this inconsistency between screen
>fonts is here to stay, is there a way to have both screen fonts
>accessible at the same time (I guess by somehow renaming one of
>them)?  I realize this is probably impossible, because both screen
>fonts tie into to the same printer font.  Now what I do is keep
>both fonts in Suitcase and open and close one or the other
>depending on which one I need.  But this is a pain.

No way that I know of too have both screen fonts.  Besides, the
Adobe are better....

>Thanks for any answers you may have.

stupid inews line
stupid inews line
stupid inews line
stupid inews line
stupid inews line
stupid inews line
stupid inews line
stupid inews line

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.