[comp.sys.mac] Using MenuEdit

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (02/06/89)

I tried using MenuEdit to add a Command-key equivalent to a
program (Gravitiation Ltd.) whose "quit" menu item had none.

I edited a copy of the program and added Command-Q to the
"quit" menu item, saved the program, and executed it.  It
didn't seem to affect anything other than the contents of
the menu text.

Is this typical, or is this program just not calling the
proper routine to get the menu selection?

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (02/07/89)

In article <419@salgado.stan.UUCP> dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:

> I edited a copy of the program and added Command-Q to the
> "quit" menu item, saved the program, and executed it.  It
> didn't seem to affect anything other than the contents of
> the menu text.
>
> David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce

Definitely the program needs to support "command keys" as well as
mouse-chosen menu items. If the program has NO other command-equivs,
you can count on adding a CMD-Q not doing anything.

Another thing to consider, however, is that MenuEdit is BUGGY. I threw
mine away after spending hours tracking down an apparent bug in one
of my programs, only to discover that MenuEdit had given my program a
completely corrupted menu resource to begin with.

I like Allan Goates MENU editor which integrates itself with ResEdit...

Neither allow creating NEW menu items as far as the last release I've
seen, however.

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |

kim@wayne.UUCP (Kim Helliwell) (02/09/89)

In article <2402@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu>, jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) writes:

> I like Allan Goates MENU editor which integrates itself with ResEdit...
>
> Neither allow creating NEW menu items as far as the last release I've
> seen, however.

Where can I get MENU?  Is it a commercial product?  Is it on Compuserve,
by any chance?

--

"Never let work interfere with your reasons for working."

Kim Helliwell

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (02/09/89)

Nick Jackiw writes:
>I like Allan Goates MENU editor which integrates itself with ResEdit...

>Neither allow creating NEW menu items as far as the last release I've
>seen, however.

Sometimes the simplest things are the least obvious! Simply choose the
'New' item in ResEdit's File menu.

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (02/09/89)

From article <1245@ccnysci.UUCP>, by alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen):

> Nick Jackiw writes:
>>I like Allan Goates MENU editor which integrates itself with ResEdit...
>
>>Neither allow creating NEW menu items as far as the last release I've
>>seen, however.
>
> Sometimes the simplest things are the least obvious! Simply choose the
> 'New' item in ResEdit's File menu.

Choosing 'New' will indeed create a new menu.  The problem is that the
menu the editor creates has a bug in it.  The menuID of the newly
created menu will be zero, instead of the menu's resource ID.
The menu appears to work fine within resedit, but when you call
GetMenu()/GetNewMBar() (or was it MenuSelect()), the mac bombs.

--
 William C. DenBesten
 denbeste@bgsu.edu

gandreas@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Glenn Andreas) (02/09/89)

In article <3557@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
>From article <1245@ccnysci.UUCP>, by alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen):
>> Sometimes the simplest things are the least obvious! Simply choose the
>> 'New' item in ResEdit's File menu.
>
>Choosing 'New' will indeed create a new menu.  The problem is that the
>menu the editor creates has a bug in it.  The menuID of the newly
>created menu will be zero, instead of the menu's resource ID.
> William C. DenBesten
> denbeste@bgsu.edu

You've got an old version.  This problem was fixed with verison 1.2.  There
is a box when you select the menu title that has space for the id.  You still
have to open the hex version to change the defproc number, but most people
use standard menus 99% of the time anyway.  When ResEdit when to version
1.2b2 there was a change in the interface for editors so there was another
version, 1.2b1 that fixed that problem and let you see the h-menus when you
tried out the menu.  So, if you've got ResEdit older than 1.2b2 (or maybe
1.2b1), get MenuEdit 1.2, otherwise use 1.2b1.  Both have been posted to
comp.binaries.mac, with 1.2b1 being posted around last august or so.  All in
all, it is an excelent piece of work that has made my life a bit easier.
(Now if there were only a color icon editor....)

= "Whether you like it, or don't like it, sit   | - gandreas@ub.d.umn.edu - =
=  back and take a look at it, because it's the |   Glenn Andreas           =
=  best going today!  WOOOOoooo!" - Ric Flair   |                           =

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/14/89)

In article <1245@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>Nick Jackiw writes:
>>I like Allan Goates MENU editor which integrates itself with ResEdit...

Is there a new version that allows you to do hierarchical menus?
I think the current version I have is 1.2b1.1

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (02/15/89)

(William C. DenBesten) writes:
>Choosing 'New' will indeed create a new menu.  The problem is that the
>menu the editor creates has a bug in it.  The menuID of the newly
>created menu will be zero, instead of the menu's resource ID.
>The menu appears to work fine within resedit, but when you call
>GetMenu()/GetNewMBar() (or was it MenuSelect()), the mac bombs.

Hm. Not on mine. The menuID has a little text box of its own in the window,
which you must alter (and then click "Do it!" or hit return).
Also, it seems from the above that you think the menuID should be the same
as it's resource ID. This is not necessarily true, and while it may be good
programming practice, it doesn't start out that way.

Also, you can always get the template-driven menu editor by choosing
"Open As..." and using Type "MENU".

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (02/17/89)

In article <12199@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
(Ken Hancock) writes:
>Is there a new version that allows you to do hierarchical menus?
>I think the current version I have is 1.2b1.1

That is the version that I have, and I believe it is the latest. It does do
hierarchical menus. I don't remember exactly how, but the H-Menus check box
is involved. A little experimentation should do the trick, I think.

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp