[comp.sys.mac] Problem finding Application

e118-ak@euler.uucp (e118 student) (02/15/89)

In article <156@qusunitf.queensu.CA> cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) writes:

>[WriteNow]...intermittent "Application missing (-37)" problem.
>... and no other application I own ever exhibits this
>behavior, MultiFinder or not.

I've had an odd problem with ReadySetGo! v.3 with v.5 system files.
Whenever I rebuild my desktop, the icons for RSG disappear into the
void, with the further result that I can't open documents directly
(although they do just fine if I launch RSG directly and then open
the appropriate doc).  I could get the icons back by trashing RSG
and re-installing it from floppy masters, until one day I had to rebuild
the desktop on the floppy.  I am now permanently consigned to generic
appl/doc icons for RSG.  I tried pasting the ICN# resources from RSG
itself into the DeskTop file, but it didn't help.  The only other
thing I've noticed is that most of my applications have the Bundle Bit
set, but RSG does not.  I'm not deep enough into os.trivia to play
any further, but if anyone knows why it might do this and whether there's
an easy fix, lemme know.  (I know RSG-4 is out, but I couldn't afford
the upgrade. :-( )

Linc Madison = e118-ak@euler.berkeley.edu

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (02/16/89)

>void, with the further result that I can't open documents directly
>(although they do just fine if I launch RSG directly and then open
>itself into the DeskTop file, but it didn't help.  The only other
>thing I've noticed is that most of my applications have the Bundle Bit
>set, but RSG does not.  I'm not deep enough into os.trivia to play

ReadySetGo should have its bundle bit set. Set it and rebuild the desktop,
and you're off.

The Finder uses the bundle bit, along with the BNDL resource of any file
whose bundle bit is set, to figure out which files belong to which applica-
tions. For instance, all MacWrite files have creator "MACA". The icons
for MacWrite files are stored in the application. The fact that the
application's bundle bit is set prompts the Finder to treat all files
of creator MACA as belonging to MacWrite, which basically means that:
- the icons for those files are found in the MacWrite application
- double-clicking on a file with creator MACA will launch MacWrite.

Hope this helps.

jeanne a. e. devoto
jdevoto@apple.com

e118-ak@euler.uucp (e118 student) (02/17/89)

I wrote earlier about a problem I had with ReadySetGo icons vanishing.
The only thing I had found was that the bundle bit wasn't set.  First,
thanks to the people who posted/e-mailed help, especially ephraim v.
for DeskCheck, a nifty little program that reports any irregularities
in resources anywhere on your hard disk.

jeanne devoto (jdevoto@apple.com) said:

>ReadySetGo should have its bundle bit set. Set it and rebuild the desktop,
>and you're off.
>
>The Finder uses the bundle bit, along with the BNDL resource of any file
>whose bundle bit is set, to figure out which files belong to which applica-
>tions.  (etc.)
>
>Hope this helps.

I tried resetting the bundle bit with FileTools D.A., which didn't
help.  A quick run through DeskCheck revealed the problem: the sig-
nature resource was missing from RSG!  (I forget the creator type,
but say it was WXYZ.  Then ReadySetGo itself is a file of type APPL
(application) of creator WXYZ.  What I finally deciphered from the
messages from DeskCheck was that there should be a corresponding
resource of type WXYZ ID=0 in the resource fork.  I looked at the
signature resources of several other programs, and they were just
simple text along the lines of "Foo!(TM), version 2.3, copyright (c)
1987, Bar Software, Inc."  I used ResEdit to create a new WXYZ
resource (MRSN, I think, actually), ID=0, and put in some appropriate
text.  It worked!  My icons appeared on the desktop!  Hooray!

Thanks to jeanne and ephraim and the net for your help.

-- Linc Madison = e118-ak@euler.berkeley.edu
P.S. One related question: DeskCheck commented that the bundle bit
on the DeskTop wasn't set -- is it supposed to be??