[comp.sys.mac] Bug in Pyro3.3

ranson@cnetlu.UUCP (Ranson) (02/15/89)

Strange things can happen to the Window Manager when Pyro is active. Here
is an amusing example:
Configuration: Mac SE/HD20, System 6.02, MultiFinder 6.1a2 active, with
Finder6.1 the active application. Pyro3.3.
Open a window, and start dragging it. Don't release the mouse button until
the end of the experiment. Drag to the "Sleep now" corner of Pyro and wait
for it to activate. Then drag back toward the center of the screen. The
Window Manager starts drawing strange things on the screen.
I guess the problem is that the Window Manager does not expect anything to
change under it during a DragWindow. Pyro could be changed to not activate
in this situation.

     Daniel Ranson.
     ...!mcvax!inria!cnetlu!ranson

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (02/18/89)

In article <781@cnetlu.UUCP>, ranson@cnetlu.UUCP (Ranson) writes:

> Open a window, and start dragging it. Don't release the mouse button until
> the end of the experiment. Drag to the "Sleep now" corner of Pyro and wait
> for it to activate. Then drag back toward the center of the screen. The
> Window Manager starts drawing strange things on the screen. I guess the
> problem is that the Window Manager does not expect anything to change under
> it during a DragWindow. Pyro could be changed to not activate in this
> situation.

Some users think they have to have the mouse button down in the Sleep Now
corner to trigger Pyro!, so we have not been able to avoid the problem merely
by testing the mouse button.  (There is a related problem with OnCue's menu
at the right side of the menu bar:  Pyro! can be unintentionally triggered
while the menu is down, which confuses the Menu Manager.)  However, upon
reading the cited article I thought of of a way that Pyro! "could be changed
to not activate in this situation" -- but still activate when the user just
presses the mouse in the Sleep Now corner. The change will be implemented in
the next release.
--

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)