[comp.sys.mac] MacRecorder/Impulse digitizer question

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/10/89)

After reading about the Mac SE/30's use of the Apple Sound Chip, and it's
ability to playback stereo sound, I'm curious about using MacRecorder to
digitize sound in stereo.  I understand to do this, you need two MacRecorder
units -- true?  And will SoundEdit (MacRecorder's sound recording/playback
program) output the sound to the Apple Sound Chip so that the stereo
reproduction is correctly played back through the stereo output jack?  I
noticed that MacRecorder is now up to Version 1.1, and wondered if the
update had anything to do with the A.S.C.

Finally, I already have an Impulse audio digitizer; I read a few hundred
articles back that SoundEdit can manipulate the Impulse digitizer with no
problems.  Rather than ditching my Impulse and buying two MacRecorders for
stereo recording, is there any reason I can't keep the Impulse, buy one
MacRecorder and use the SoundEdit program with them both in tandem for
stereo recording?

Any info is appreciated -- thanks in advance.

                           "....and his hideous clockwork dog, Toto...."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

AXS101@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) (02/11/89)

In article <6915@fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) says:

>After reading about the Mac SE/30's use of the Apple Sound Chip, and it's
>ability to playback stereo sound, I'm curious about using MacRecorder to
>digitize sound in stereo.  I understand to do this, you need two MacRecorder
>units -- true?

ok, this much i know... you "don't" need two macrecorders to record in
stereo, you can use one, record the left channel. then record the right
channel into another file, and then use the "mixer" function and mix the
two together. it is easier with two recorders, but one can work just as
well. (the only problem is that you might not have the two channels
exactly as they were on whatever you were recording.)

- in no way am i connected with farallon, just a satisfied with the
product.

 Adrian Sullivan, Vice President PAMUG
 axs101@psuvm.bitnet or axs@psuarch.bitnet
 -----------------------------------------        Little Mac BBs
 If you'd like info on the users group,   |       (814) 238-4276
 e-mail me and I'll send some out to you. |       2400/1200 bps

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (02/11/89)

In article <6915@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>units -- true?  And will SoundEdit (MacRecorder's sound recording/playback
>program) output the sound to the Apple Sound Chip so that the stereo
>reproduction is correctly played back through the stereo output jack?  I

Yes, it does. You can create some interesting effects by mixing stereo
tracks. You don't need two MacRecorders to edit in stereo. You just can't
digitize both tracks at the same time. You can first digitize the left
track, then the right. If you have a sync signal somewhere, you can then
mix the two mono signals into one stereo signal.

>Finally, I already have an Impulse audio digitizer; I read a few hundred
>articles back that SoundEdit can manipulate the Impulse digitizer with no
>problems. Rather than ditching my Impulse and buying two MacRecorders for
>stereo recording, is there any reason I can't keep the Impulse, buy one
>MacRecorder and use the SoundEdit program with them both in tandem for
>stereo recording?

My Impulse digitizer doesn't work with the version of SoundEdit that I
have. Maybe a new version of SoundEdit supports the Impulse digitizer.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

mikel@cs.dal.ca (Michael P. Lamoureux) (02/16/89)

In article <6915@fluke.com>, moriarty@tc.fluke.com asked some questions
about using the MacRecorder to record stereo sounds on a Macintosh.
Here's an attempt to answer his question.

To record both left and right channels of a stereo sound simultaneously,
you need two MacRecorders.  However, it is possible to use just one
MacRecorder and record each track separately, although this will give
you syncronization headaches.  The MacRecorder software (SoundEdit) is
not compatible with the Impulse digitizer, so yu can't use your Impulse
for the second channel (sorry...).  The stereo sound plays back fine on
a Mac II and Mac IIx, and since the SE30 uses the same Apple sound chip,
I expect it should work fine there too, though I haven't see that yet.
(Just saw my first SE30 last night).  SoundEdit version 1.0 could play
in stereo, as does version 1.1.  I think a new version was announced at
MacWorld SF.

Michael Lamoureux

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (02/18/89)

In article <6915@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>After reading about the Mac SE/30's use of the Apple Sound Chip, and it's
>ability to playback stereo sound, I'm curious about using MacRecorder to
>digitize sound in stereo.  I understand to do this, you need two MacRecorder
>units -- true?  And will SoundEdit (MacRecorder's sound recording/playback
>program) output the sound to the Apple Sound Chip so that the stereo
>reproduction is correctly played back through the stereo output jack?  I
>noticed that MacRecorder is now up to Version 1.1, and wondered if the
>update had anything to do with the A.S.C.

  As a MacRecorder owner, I have been able to create stereo sounds with one
MacRecorder, but it involves recording each channel separately and then
placing them into one sound with cut/paste etc.
  There is nothing about the program's user interface which suggests that an
Impulse can't be used exactly as a MacRecorder, assuming that the system
handles Impulse units correctly.

                             -- Mark Wilkins