[comp.sys.mac] Format of the AppleLink software's dialer files

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (02/09/89)

Does anyone out there have any information that would help me figure out just
what is going on with the AppleLink Modem.CCL file (or CCL files in general,
actually).  Our university has a modem pool, and it would be nice if we could
use that to connect to AppleLink instead of having to have a dedicated modem at each station.

Any information that I could get would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael Niehaus
Apple Student Rep
Ball State University
UUCP: ..!{pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas

larry@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) (02/16/89)

In article <5601@bsu-cs.UUCP>, mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
> Does anyone out there have any information that would help me figure out just
> what is going on with the AppleLink Modem.CCL file (or CCL files in general,
> actually).

The .CCL file is nothing but a text file,  BUT, its file type is not
'TEXT', its 'PETE'.  It contains a custom programming language that
I found pretty easy to understand.  I modified the standard .CCL file
to run with our Avatex modem after not too much work.  I used ResEdit
to change the file type to 'TEXT', ran a text editor on the file, and
then changed the type back to 'PETE'.

Larry Tepper, guest login at StorageTek

amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (02/17/89)

larry@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) writes:
    The .CCL file is nothing but a text file,  BUT, its file type is not
    'TEXT', its 'PETE'.  It contains a custom programming language ...

In fact, while you're debugging the CCL file, you can just leave the
type as 'TEXT'.  The only time AppleLink cares about the type is when it
puts up the dialog that lets you pick which one you want to use...

--
Amanda Walker			...!uunet!lts!amanda / lts!amanda@uunet.uu.net
			  InterCon, 11732 Bowman Green Drive, Reston, VA 22090

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (02/18/89)

Another trick is to hit Command-Option-E.  This will bring up a text
editing window containing the current CCL file, so you don't have to
bother changing the file type.

Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

Internet: lsr@Apple.com   UUCP: {nsc, sun}!apple!lsr
AppleLink: Rosenstein1

alan@Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) (02/18/89)

In article <888@lts.UUCP> amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) writes:
>larry@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) writes:
>    The .CCL file is nothing but a text file,  BUT, its file type is not
>    'TEXT', its 'PETE'.  It contains a custom programming language ...
>
>In fact, while you're debugging the CCL file, you can just leave the
>type as 'TEXT'.  The only time AppleLink cares about the type is when it
>puts up the dialog that lets you pick which one you want to use...
>
>--
>Amanda Walker			...!uunet!lts!amanda / lts!amanda@uunet.uu.net
>			  InterCon, 11732 Bowman Green Drive, Reston, VA 22090
>--
>Calm down; it's only ones and zeros...

A little-known "feature" of AppleLink is that when "working offline" you
can type Clover-Option-E and get an editor window open on the currently-
selected .CCL file.  Changes can be saved using the "Save" menu command.

Hope this helps.  Note that since this feature is NOT documented anywhere
I know of, my telling you this does NOT constitute an warranty that it
will work now or ever.  But if it does happen to work for you, it might
save you some time.
--
Alan Mimms			My opinions are generally
Communications Products Group	pretty worthless, but

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (02/19/89)

Apple has a long document on their CCL files.  You could try digging a
copy out of the AppleLink support group.
--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu