[comp.sys.mac] ENCRYPTION for folders/documents

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (02/17/89)

Subject: ENCRYPTION for folders/documents
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

I would like to find PD or SHAREWARE that can encrypt or password
protect my folders and documents.

I purchased Copy ][ Mac (noone should be without it) and it is loaded !!
BUT, there is no password or encryption in this one.  A file can be made
invisible but this is not enough.

I almost purchased PC TOOLS Deluxe, but UNLESS I'M WRONG, the only
significant difference between these two is the encryption capability of
'PC TOOLS'.  I frankly didn't want to spend up to an additional $80 for
file encryption or password protection.

I am hoping there is shareware available to do this. (I'd rather pay them
anyway.)

Please post or EMAIL (preferred as our UNIX system purges the news right
before I logon ...

Thanks for any help.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (02/18/89)

In article <578@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
   | I would like to find PD or SHAREWARE that can encrypt or password
   | protect my folders and documents.

MacPassword is available via FTP from the archives at SUMEX.  MP is a
shareware cdev/INIT that allows you to protect volumes or folders on
single or multiple HD's.

MP provides Guest login (so that some folders are accessable).

MP 3.0 is still in beta testing.  Most of the features are solid, but the
interface will probably undergo changes.  Some of the new features include:
AppleShare like protection of folders (they grey out), Virus protection
built in and a host of other goodies.

I will make sure that version 3.0 is sent to the binaries moderator
when it is done.

If you would like more information, you can write to:

   Art A. Schumer
   13814 176th Place NE
   Redmond,  WA  98052

The current cost is $20.00 US funds (international orders need to add $4.00
US for extra handling and postage costs).

Art is the Author.  I'm a beta tester for MacPassword and probably makes
me incredibly bias :-) :-)

   | Thanks for any help.

Welcome..

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (02/19/89)

Suffit will encrypt with a password or you could use the application
"DESencrypt"  Both use approximately the same encryption scheme which
is nearly if not impossible to break.

Mike Darweesh
md32@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University