[comp.sys.mac] Hot-rodding a Mac IIx

crowe@whuts.ATT.COM (CROWE) (02/14/89)

Howdy,

Recently, I bagan hunting for a 4 Mbyte SIMM upgrade for my Mac II.  Trying
to play it smart, I thought I would try to get the fastest SIMMs I'll ever
need so, even if I traded in my motherboard (or whatever) I would get to keep
my memory.  Well, the fastest 1 Mbyte SIMMs are the 80 nsec type which I
found for $350.  The 60 nsec SIMMs are in the 256 K configuration only and
therefore out of the running.  The guy that offerred them to me mentioned an
upgrade/hack being rumored that will allow the replacement of the Mac IIx
crystal with a faster (20-25 MHz). I assume that a faster 68030 and 68882 would
be necessary.  He said that the 80 nsec SIMMs would be suitable and that
two wait states would be required.

So, not knowing alot about wait states, the Mac IIx architecture, and Apple's
latest hot-rodding rumors I thought I would cast this tidbit upon the
usenet waters.  Anybody know anything out there?

Donald Crowe
whuts!crowe

sobiloff@thor.stolaf.edu (Blake Sobiloff) (02/18/89)

I know there is a company that offers the 68030 and 68882 chips in the 33mhz
flavor, and they say that the chips don't need faster memory.  But then again
I'm not a techie, just a college student who <*GASP*> doesn't know it all...

Blake "Hey, where's MY fancy signature?" Sobiloff

czychi@ethz.UUCP (Gary Czychi) (02/19/89)

In article <5362@whuts.ATT.COM> crowe@whuts.ATT.COM (CROWE) writes:
>Howdy,
>
>Recently, I bagan hunting for a 4 Mbyte SIMM upgrade for my Mac II.  Trying
>Donald Crowe
>whuts!crowe

Hi,

you can get 4 meg SIMMs, but you won't be able to use them unless you have
A/UX running.  What you (and every Mac II owner as well) should know
however, is:

	** When does system upgrade 7.0 come out and will it be able
	   to recognize the 4-MB SIMMs ??  **

I think its about time for an official statement, don't you agree?  I would
like to pass this question over to the 'usenet waters':  Is there anyone who
can tell us more? Is system upgrade 7 in alpha (beta) testing??

Thanks a lot for any help.

	Gary Czychi