[comp.sys.mac] THINK Pascal 2.0 Link errors

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/18/89)

Has anyone else besides me been having trouble with THINK
Pascal 2.0 Link errors?  I was writing a small application
today to turn off AppleTalk and then launch a program.
I included the AppleTalk.p library with the appropriate
"uses AppleTalk;" line in my program.  Called an MPPClose,
compiled it, and got a "undefined: 'MPPCLOSE'".

Feeling very stupid, I looked through all the build orders,
code, etc.  I saw nothing wrong.  Asked someone else who was
very familiar with Pascal.  "Nope, that's right."  Asked someone
else.  "That's right.  It should work."

Well, it doesn't.  I called Tech support and someone tried
very hard to help.  They tried out a simple program,
it didn't work.  So, they tried it with an additional
interface added and another couple calls.  Then it worked.
Made a spelling error which the debugger informed him of,
removed it, and then removed the extra interface.
All of the sudden, MPPClose compiles fine.  He didn't know
how he did it.

So, that leave me in the dark.  I still can't get mine to work.
He said he'd report the bug and had had a couple other bugs
which had mysteriously appeared and disappeared.  Rich,
do you know of a bug fix that's coming?  Think Pascal 2.0p1?

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

In article <12278@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:

>Has anyone else besides me been having trouble with THINK
>Pascal 2.0 Link errors?  I was writing a small application
>today to turn off AppleTalk and then launch a program.

Had I read the manual more closely, I would have found I omitted
one of the libraries I needed.  My appologies.

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/20/89)

In article <12278@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:

>Has anyone else besides me been having trouble with THINK
>Pascal 2.0 Link errors?  I was writing a small application
>today to turn off AppleTalk and then launch a program.
>I included the AppleTalk.p library with the appropriate
>"uses AppleTalk;" line in my program.  Called an MPPClose,
>compiled it, and got a "undefined: 'MPPCLOSE'".

	It's not clear whether you have *both* "AppleTalk.p" and
"ABPackage.Lib" (or "nAppleTalk.Lib") in your project. There have been
spurious, non reproducible reports of similar link errors, but we have no
definite case that we can use to isolate the problem; it's difficult to
patch a bug that you can't readily reproduce.

	Did the mysterious link errors occur after you'd run your program?
What happens if you reboot the Mac and start afresh? Also, try doing
a Remove Objects on your project document and see if that alleviates the
symptoms.

	("take two aspirin and call me in the morning." :-))

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305