[comp.sys.mac] LSP 2.0 too stable...

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (02/19/89)

I've had Think Pascal 2.0 for some time now, and I think it is great.
However, there is one thing I find especially annoying (apart from
the formatter, the usual flames apply there :-) and that is that the
integrated environment (i.e. when you run a program from within the
Pascal) is too forgiving for programming errors. To make a long story
short, I've been working on a program where a certain procedure would
take a ProcPtr as a parameter and then call that procedure. I
inadvertantly called it with a pointer to a procedure with the wrong
number of arguments. This usually causes a crash, right? Well, sort of.
when I run the program as a compiled application it certainly crashes,
but when run from inside Pascal nothing unusual happens.
In fact, I've seen this several times - a program runs fine from
within the compiler and crashes when you try it as an application.
Rich, could you make the environment a little less stable for the
next version? :-)

	Sven Axelsson		d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se
	dep:t of Linguistics
	univ. of Gothenburg
	SWEDEN

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/20/89)

In article <558@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:

>In fact, I've seen this several times - a program runs fine from
>within the compiler and crashes when you try it as an application.

	Sometimes it goes the other way; a program which works fine as
a standalone mysteriously crashes when run within the environment. The heart
of the problem is that it's very difficult to provide an accurate simulation
of a normal Macintosh environment within Lightspeed Pascal.

	Until the debugger functions as a separate component under MultiFinder
(as in LightspeedC), the only recourse is to be careful and use TMON's Trap
Discipline feature, which will find all kinds of obscure bugs that you might
never encounter otherwise....

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305