[comp.sys.mac] bibliography tool

roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu ( John Roy) (02/11/89)

Any recommendations of a bibliography tool for a Ph.D. dissertation?
I'm planning on using Word 3.0.2 [and 4.0 if it comes out before I
finish], so something which can interface somehow with Word would be
a great plus.

Thanks,
John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714
Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/14/89)

In article <7208@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu ( John Roy) writes:
<Any recommendations of a bibliography tool for a Ph.D. dissertation?
<I'm planning on using Word 3.0.2 [and 4.0 if it comes out before I
<finish], so something which can interface somehow with Word would be
<a great plus.

You might want to check out the February issue of MacUser which reviews
Pro-Cite and EndNote. I decided on Pro-Cite because of more flexibility
and printing from the program, but EndNote (which is cheaper and got a
better rating) is designed to work with your Word Processor.

Shirley Kehr

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (02/20/89)

In article <83376@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>You might want to check out the February issue of MacUser which reviews
>Pro-Cite and EndNote. I decided on Pro-Cite because of more flexibility
>and printing from the program, but EndNote (which is cheaper and got a
>better rating) is designed to work with your Word Processor.

That review was really strange, because, while it did cover a lot of
the features and functionality of both systems, at least for Endnote
it was very inaccurate in some of the negatives.  In particular, the
reviewer specifically mentioned that it could not be used to print out
bibliographies.  Hmmm -- that is one of the things I find EndNote
great for.  I talked to one of the people from Niles Software
(producers of EndNote) and he said he didn't know why the reviewer
said that, and that he was even a friend of theirs.  [I have no idea
how accurate the review was for ProCite.]  The reviewer also said that
it didn't have the kind of search flexibility he wanted, yet from what
he described EndNote seems to provide it (cumulative and/or searching
based on author, year, or other text -- not as extensive from what I
understand as ProCite but pretty flexible).

I'm finding EndNote easy to use with pretty much all the functionality
I'm used to from Scribe and LaTex bibliography systems, with the
convenience of a mac & DA interface.  In filter mode it can insert
references only in certain document types (Word & a few others) but
you can also do copy/pasting from EndNote (either application or DA)
to handle reference pasting, using whatever format style the user
picks or defines, for other word processors (e.g. I'm using it now
with FullWrite).  One problem is that EndNote will do "copy formatted"
(e.g. preserve info of font, size, style) but so far, according to
Niles, nobody supports "pasting formatted", so in DA mode you have to
add italics etc. yourself.  I really like the fact that it is
independent of word processor, so that my bibliographies that I build
up work no matter what the current word processor whims are.

---
What is it with reviewers?  The recent review of financial and tax
packages in Macazine (or somewhere else, I forget) was full of similar
inaccuracies, describing package X as having a certain feature when
other packages in the same review had the same feature, or describing
MacInTax as missing bunches of forms that exist in my version of it,
etc...

Margot Flowers
Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU
...!(uunet,rutgers,ucbvax,randvax)!cs.ucla.edu!flowers